Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:20 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times

Advertisements

I was born in Northwestern Connecticut which is a humid continental climate. Warm summers, and cold snowy winters. Not my favorite climate. Avg July temps were about 83 during the day, 58 at night. Avg January temps were 35 during the day, 12 at night with an average winter snowfall of around 45-65 inches

My current climate is on the line of humid subtropical and tropical climate, if the average winter temperatures were just 2-4 degrees warmer, Orlando would have a true tropical climate. We have hot humid summers with daily thunderstorms, and warm, dry winters. Winter weather in Florida is a lot like weather in Southern California, 70s during the day, 40s at night

I have also lived in the arid desert climate when I lived in Las Vegas. The lack of humidity was nice, but summers could be brutal although I dealt with it just fine. Winters in Las Vegas are quite cold (to me) as well, with high temps in the low 50s during the day and right around freezing at night. Another climate I like but still not my favorite

My favorite climate would have to be the mediterranean climate of Southern California. Its no wonder so many people dream of living in Southern California. The weather is absolutely amazing. I loved walking around Los Angeles in July and it being only 80 degrees with very little humidity. It was awesome. I know in winter it's a bit cooler but Mediterranean is definitely my favorite climate. Lots of sun, little rain, and moderate temperatures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 AM

647 posts, read 797,205 times
I was born and always lived in a humid continental Dfb climate near Dfa borderline, the winters are too cold and long there.

My favorite climate is humid subtropical, something like Sochi or Charlotte, NC.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I was born in Northwestern Connecticut which is a humid continental climate. Warm summers, and cold snowy winters. Not my favorite climate. Avg July temps were about 83 during the day, 58 at night. Avg January temps were 35 during the day, 12 at night with an average winter snowfall of around 45-65 inches

My current climate is on the line of humid subtropical and tropical climate, if the average winter temperatures were just 2-4 degrees warmer, Orlando would have a true tropical climate. We have hot humid summers with daily thunderstorms, and warm, dry winters. Winter weather in Florida is a lot like weather in Southern California, 70s during the day, 40s at night

I have also lived in the arid desert climate when I lived in Las Vegas. The lack of humidity was nice, but summers could be brutal although I dealt with it just fine. Winters in Las Vegas are quite cold (to me) as well, with high temps in the low 50s during the day and right around freezing at night. Another climate I like but still not my favorite

My favorite climate would have to be the mediterranean climate of Southern California. Its no wonder so many people dream of living in Southern California. The weather is absolutely amazing. I loved walking around Los Angeles in July and it being only 80 degrees with very little humidity. It was awesome. I know in winter it's a bit cooler but Mediterranean is definitely my favorite climate. Lots of sun, little rain, and moderate temperatures
I thought Vegas highs in winter were like 60F?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I thought Vegas highs in winter were like 60F?
Depends where in the city. I lived in the far NW suburbs at the base of the mountains and it was about 5-8 degrees cooler than it was on the strip due to my higher elevation. My location in the city highs were more like 50-54 during the day, and about 28-32 at night

the west and NW sides of Vegas are 500-1500 feet higher than the strip. The east side is about 500-700 feet lower. The strip is 2000 feet above sea level. Nw Vegas is about 2700, west Vegas is about 3200, and east Las Vegas is about 1400

This drastic elevation change causes wide varying temps across the Las Vegas Valley, it can be in the mid 60s in the east, while being in the upper 40s to low 50s just 25 miles away in the NW where I lived

Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I was born in an Am climate but according to NOAA, town I lived in is an Af microclimate (200+ rainy days a year with 75 inches of rain a year according to the nearest station). Csa climates are generally appealing to me, except the winter rain as long as the temps are above 60°F. Cwa climates are the most appealing to me

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
I lived in Detroit (city limits) for ~10 years before I had to move down South. Dfa climate.

The funny thing is that I lived there during the mid-late 90s, which was one of the least snowiest periods. Ann Arbor gets about 20 more inches (50cm) of snow on average than Detroit city limits, so any normal winter here in Ann Arbor outstrips whatever I was used to as a child.

My favorite climate has slightly colder winters and much colder summers than here. I wouldn't mind highs in the summer never getting out of the 60s (20+ C)

Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Cfb all the way, was born in Paris and the couple other cities I've briefly called home were oceanic as well, though a bit more seasonal.
I prefer Dfa climates and wouldn't mind living in one of the warmer Dfb locations. Worst would be EF. Brr.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
so you like mediterranean more than subtropical humid? I thought it was the other way around
Nope If winters are 'cool' (less than <18°C, tropical threshold), I want hot, dry, sunny summers

Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Nope If winters are 'cool' (less than <18°C, tropical threshold), I want hot, dry, sunny summers
I was saying cause i general subtropical climates are slightly warmer than mediterranean, and you seem to value warmness very much. Is just the rain that makes you chose mediterranean over subtropical?
Like Buenos Aires over Nice, for example, would you chose Nice? Even knowing Nice has more of a stable climate and BA is prone to extreme heatwaves (35celsius and up) starting in october and ending in late march?

Summer are definetely hot and sunny in subtropical climates. Not too dry, thats true. But you get a lot of hot very hot days

(I dont know why i smiled, since i hate it).

Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
^^^
Subtropical climates can be as cool as Turin and as warm as Hong Kong

As you accurately said, I would always choose a warmer climate over a cooler one, but as subtropical and mediterranean climates technically have identical temperature boundaries (and just differ over rainfall distribution - I'm talking about Csa here, not Csb), I'd go for the abundantly sunny summers to compensate the cooler-than-desired winters. You see I'd find it quite annoying to go through a cool winter only to be rewarded by a summer with many cloudy days. Now if it's 70%+ sun with a few thunderstorms, that'll do See what I mean?

You definitely have a point though: temps swings in BA (and they seem to be more 'warmth-oriented' ) look FAR superior to the very stable temp pattern we have here. I've always been amazed at the fact that your city can get well above 30°C even in winter. Here, early November to late April is essentially hopeless for temps above 20°C. I've seen months with a 17°C average high and no temp above 20°C
Also, I love humid warmth and I'm pretty sure Cfa climates have a higher RH in summer.

Well, you almost convinced me Find me a Cfa climate with the same sun % in summer as typical Csa climates and I'll see but I'm pretty sure nothing can beat the pristine cloudlessness of a July afternoon in Corsica...

What about you Sophie? I know you hate hot summers, but if you had to chose would you stick to Cfa or switch to Mediterranean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather