Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think has a stronger influence on the climate?
Humboldt Current 9 81.82%
Gulf Stream 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,642,888 times

Advertisements

Which do you think has a stronger influence on the local climate - The Humboldt Current on Lima, Peru or the Gulf Stream on London, UK?

I personally think the effect of the Humboldt is stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM

777 posts, read 1,060,257 times
Humbolt for sure. Outrageous how cold Lima and other places on the coast in that region are for their latitude.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,498,545 times
Humboldt

Old 11-22-2012, 11:16 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,052,824 times
They're both about equal in terms of the deviation from latitudinal norms they affect -- about 6 C in both cases.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,574,965 times
The Humboldt Current easily. London is somewhat warmer than equivalent maritime locations like coastal British Columbia, but unlike Lima it isn't completely out of line from other west coastal locations along it's latitude.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:24 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,509,646 times
But London is far, far warmer than places at a similar latitude in eastern Canada and Russia.. no point in comparing London to places in coastal BC because they too are much warmer than their latitude would suggest.

Not really sure to be honest, I don't think Lima is that cool, but I guess for a coastal tropical location, it is exceptionally so.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,301,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But London is far, far warmer than places at a similar latitude in eastern Canada and Russia.. no point in comparing London to places in coastal BC because they too are much warmer than their latitude would suggest.
But coastal BC doesn't get as much of a warm offshore ocean current as the UK, it's a decent analog of what the UK might be without the Gulf Stream. The UK's geography by itself should prevent it from having a climate like eastern Canada or Russia.

I'd go with Lima, as it seems to be more extreme for its type (west coast tropical).

Old 11-23-2012, 06:54 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,509,646 times
I think I would choose Humbolt though, since you raise a valid point - without the gulf stream, the UK would not descend into subarctic cold. Without the Humbolt current, how much warmer would Lima be?

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 11-23-2012 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Misunderstanding

Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM

777 posts, read 1,060,257 times
Quote:
I think I would choose Humbolt though, since you raise a valid point - without the gulf stream, the UK would not descend into subarctic cold. Without the Humbolt current, how much warmer would Lima be?
Lima should be like Darwin. Yet its summers are more like coastal Sydney with record highs 10C colder and Scottish sunshine hours.. barely 1 hour per day during the cold months despite being at the 12th parallel Their winters highs are typical for the NSW coast at somewhere around 32-33S latitude.

A very bizarre climate indeed and one of the crappiest in existence relative to its latitude.

With an anomaly as extreme as this, Humbolt wins.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,574,965 times
Quote:

Not really sure to be honest, I don't think Lima is that cool, but I guess for a coastal tropical location, it is exceptionally so.
It's true that the UK is considerably warmer than continental or east coast locations at the same latitude, but my point is that the UK isn't exceptionally warmer than directly comparable areas on the west coasts of the mid-latitudes such as BC, southern NZ, or Patagonia which are moderated by the prevailing westerlies.

I think Galway, Ireland and Victoria, BC are fair comparisons which suggests that the UK is about 5 degrees of latitude further south in terms of climate due to the influence of the Gulf Stream. However Lima at 12S has temperatures that are associated with coastal climates at 25-35 degrees. Southwest Africa is very similar to coastal Peru/Chile though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather