Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 AM

66 posts, read 109,859 times

Advertisements

Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buenos Aires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

São Paulo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, which one would you guys pick?

For me, São Paulo has the best summers out of those three -- very warm, yet not scorching as Atlanta, good amount of sunshine and a lovely monsoon to make things fun. The other two are too hot, sunny and lack precipitation.

However... São Paulo's winters are surely the wimpiest and less interesting. On that aspect, I surely prefer Atlanta -- greatest potential for cold, due to the big North American landmass, greatest potential for snow etc, although I do prefer Buenos Aires' sunshine hours.

This is kind of a hard choice, but I'd pick Atlanta for the greater variety of weather, even though I don't like those hot summers. I think the ideal subtropical climate would have a monsoonal summer like São Paulo and a 10°C/1°C winter, dry-ish and not very sunny, with potential for occasional (once 3 or 4 years) big cold fronts that bring real wintrish weather, pushing temperatures to the -10°C's.

(now, I'm not considering Koppen's climate classification, that allows "subtropical" winters to be reasonably snowy as in New York City, otherwise the ideal subtropical climate would be something with NYC's winters and São Paulo's summers)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM

650 posts, read 1,629,485 times
Gimme São Paulo, the capital of subtropical Americas.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Sao Paolo summers are the best, hands down. Atlanta and BA are scorching hot.
BUT, rest of the year Sao Paolo climate is bad: it doesnt get cold in the winter, it doesnt have sun (1700...way too low and depressing) and overall it doesnt have a nice season in where you can enjoy 9c crispy sunny days. Overall its a D kinda climate.

Atlanta and BA are kinda more similar: both have winters (Atlanta even more so) abundant well-distributed sun, and are very hot in summertime. Atlanta, though, is slightly hotter in the 3 hottest month of summer, and the BA overwhelmingly scorching hot summers are way too much for me, so even 1c more will make me go crazy.

Because of this, i chose Buenos Aires.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times
BA for me. Sao Paulo has nice temperatures but it is very wet and lacks the proper amount of sunshine.

BA on the other hand has a very nice climate. I don't think its summers are "overwhelmingly scorching hot". Maybe a touch warmer and more humid than ideal but still perfectly fine. Atlanta does get too hot in the summer, though.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Sao Paulo by a landslide... Warmest winters of the three

Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
Probably BA. Atlanta may have a small edge in sunshine. Sao Paulo is far too cloudy, one of the last places in Brazil I would consider on a climate basis.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
All 3 climates are good, but as Atlanta experiences the greatest variety of the 3, it gets my vote.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 AM

775 posts, read 1,169,167 times
I'd have to go for Buenos Aires - temps are least unpleasant for me and sunshine amounts are OK.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:23 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,753 times
Well I'm from Atlanta and like the climate fairly well. Certainly plenty of variety. But I would rather have warmer winters. All three summers look great. I'm in Texas for college near Houston and it gets hot hot hot here. Much more than Atlanta. BA and SP winters look pretty nice. Depends on if I would rather have more variety or just enjoy having beautiful weather year round. All locations get enough rain to make me happy. I'd probably go with BA just because it offers a small cool season and doesn't appear to get that cold at all.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Tough choice between Sao Paulo and Hotlanta. Sao Paulo's temperatures are warm, but somewhat tolerable (though summers look uncomfortably humid) and isn't too sunny. Atlanta has awful summers and too much sunshine, but at least winters are on the crisp side. Very difficult choice, but I'll have to give a slight edge to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather