Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What December are you hopping for:
Warmer than Normal 23 46.00%
Normal 6 12.00%
Colder than normal 21 42.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
To be honest - the warmth scares the heck out of me. Granted I don't want to see below normal cold (not a cold weather fan), but the 20 - 22 months of warmer than normal temps is firghtening if one thinks about the ramifcations.

As to the drought - I don't know if this is "soft science" or not....but the old time climatolgists used to say that "drought breeds drought"; Meaning that as the soil/ground dries out, it wamers quicker and quicker when the sun hits its surface, this creates an almost permanent qusi high pressure -which furthur promotes dryness, lack of rainfall, and more drying...etc. I did see some of this in my travels in the 1990's in southern South Carolina/south Gerogia (they are often in cronic drought). There was a period of maybe 17 months with dry weather, high pressure, and rainfall depatures EVERY MONTH. In fact, the fires came by mid spring (1995 I think) and thousands of acres burned in North Florida, Georgia, and southern South Carolina. WHen summer came, the burned and dried ground help temps hit more than 100 F for weeks on end (they may even have broke records as I remember).

So despite the banter with the cold fans...it scares me that they see something else then we do.
Nor am I a cold weather fan, however, I do agree that the consequences of these types of winters is frightening for this country. From the west coast to the midwest to the east coast and north and south...this is in no way a good pattern for any of us.

Hopefully we will have a normal winter (however, selfishly I did vote for a warmer than normal winter) and get back on track meteorlogically speaking (and might as well wish for a return to a normal fiscal return as well, can't hurt to "wish").

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Maybe this is why? Talk about a sore thumb.

Your point? That is all past data. We're talking about the future here. You were quick to dismiss long-range predictions for cold, but didn't do the same for ones that suggest heat.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Funny how some question long-range models suggesting cold, but don't question it when it suggests warmth. Simple fact of the matter is no one is really sure what will happen later in the month. The speculation is fun, but the bias sticks out like a sore thumb.
Quote:
Your point? That is all past data. We're talking about the future here. You were quick to dismiss long-range predictions for cold, but didn't do the same for ones that suggest heat.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Hopefully we will have a normal winter
Aw, come on. A normal winter is just so boring .

Quote:
(and might as well wish for a return to a normal fiscal return as well, can't hurt to "wish")
Normal fiscal return? What does that mean? A normal return for your investments? More household income? A balanced federal budget? Averting the "fiscal cliff"? This might be off-topic, but I'm just curious.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
As an aside, I know all of this is no laughing matter, but I think sometimes we get too deadly-serious about long range forecasting. It's more of an art than a science, and an imperfect art at that, and there's something to be said for taking it easy and seeing what happens at the end of the month.
Agreed. I don't take too seriously the long range forecasts until they actually happen.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,332 times
Quote:
No, my point in putting up the map is that I give more credence to warm forecasts because we have had more consistently warm weather than cold over the past 32 months or so.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
It's starting here in NY! low 60's this week. The OP starting this thread was sure on target. I know it's not normal, And maybe a bad sign climate and Earth-wise but 2 days ago it was cold, With a slate grey sky. I recall looking up as I have over the years and thinking how depressing it looks. Sun is always a welcome visitor IMO.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Default D)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Aw, come on. A normal winter is just so boring .

Normal fiscal return? What does that mean? A normal return for your investments? More household income? A balanced federal budget? Averting the "fiscal cliff"? This might be off-topic, but I'm just curious.

All of the above...

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78
I'm hoping for warmer than normal with no frost or cold snaps for the Vancouver area
I can imagine you guys get even COLDER THAN WE DO!!! (Last winter was quite nice,wouldnt mind another one)

Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I can imagine you guys get even COLDER THAN WE DO!!! (Last winter was quite nice,wouldnt mind another one)
Where are you located?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Near boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather