Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 AM

840 posts, read 3,043,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
There is no data for several towns of between 20,000 and 60,000 inhabitants such as San Martín de los Andes, Zapala, Pico Truncado and Caleta Olivia. I expect about 20/22 for San Martín de los Andes, 10/11 for Zapala and Pico Truncado and 5 for Caleta Olivia.
And what about Villa La Angostura? I read somewhere that its annual rainfall is around 2000 mm (vs Bariloche's 800, which is located just a few miles east of VLA).
VLA is at the same altitude as Bariloche, but considering it has more than double its precipitation, it must have much more snow than Bariloche (and much more than the other towns you mentioned).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,353,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
And what about Villa La Angostura? I read somewhere that its annual rainfall is around 2000 mm (vs Bariloche's 800, which is located just a few miles east of VLA).
VLA is at the same altitude as Bariloche, but considering it has more than double its precipitation, it must have much more snow than Bariloche (and much more than the other towns you mentioned).

What do you think?
I didn't include it due to its lower population (12,000 inhab). According to some data I have from the Provincial Water Institute it rains about 1700 mm per year (I don't have the data right now). It's not like it would change anything. The problem would be the number of days with rain and how the pattern of rainfall/snowfall works. I suspect it gets more snow than Bariloche -in terms of days and accumulation- but maybe not by a large margin, close to 30 days I guess. I might be mistaken, though.

Bariloche itself is a case to look carefully. The station is in the Airport, at the East of the city. The older urban station used to record around 1,000 mm per year, and the higher neighbourhoods of the city are at around 1,000 metres above sea level, and they are still wetter.

Near the westernmost point of Rio Negro, Laguna Frías averages some 3,400 mm per year, yet I guess the proportion of winter rain is bigger than Bariloche's.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:17 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,003,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I've never seen snowfall stats for NZ towns
Yeah, for some reason, they don't exist for the most part.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM

795 posts, read 733,539 times
I want to point out that both Bariloche and Esquel most likely beat Ushuaia in average snowfall in a single month because of the higher precipitation.

I like snow but hate Ushuaia's climate. Who wants snow in the summer? I sure don't.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palider View Post
I want to point out that both Bariloche and Esquel most likely beat Ushuaia in average snowfall in a single month because of the higher precipitation.

I like snow but hate Ushuaia's climate. Who wants snow in the summer? I sure don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GOGgTDcbi0

Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I've never seen snowfall stats for NZ towns

I lived in Invercargill for 6 years. It usually snowed several times a year but seldom settled, maybe once a year and probably only and inch or two. There was one year that was close to six inches, that stayed around for a week or so. Christchurch seemed like a snowier city to me.

Snow in Queenstown is much more common but still only settles 1 or 2 times a winter on average, The higher suburbs can have snow on the ground for a few weeks, some years. The biggest snowfall I saw there was 55 cm downtown, and 80-90 cm on the higher suburbs. I lived near Arrowtown (20 km from Queenstown) and snow was much more common there. It was common to have snow there, but nothing when I got to Queenstown for work.

There were goldmining towns ( a generous term) at altitude, where snow would have been on the ground most of the winter. Some of the places around here such as, Butchertown or Starvation Ridge, would have bleak winters indeed, if they had survived as towns,
By "several times a year," how often do you mean by that?

Old 08-06-2017, 01:01 AM

22,219 posts, read 21,489,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
By "several times a year," how often do you mean by that?
Common enough for a few minutes of falling snow, to not seem like a big deal. I spent a lot of time there over six years, and would say there were 3-5 days a year with some falling snow, even if only for a few minutes. I saw falling snow only days before Christmas, one year.

Queenstown seemed to see settling snow1-2 times a winter, but more some years. Only a few km from town will see settling snow much more common -where I lived closer to Arrowtown, there was probably closer to 7-8 days with settling snow.

I had two winters in Christchurch, and the suburb where I was had settled snow twice, but it doesn't show on any records -I think that only snow in the city centre counts.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Common enough for a few minutes of falling snow, to not seem like a big deal. I spent a lot of time there over six years, and would say there were 3-5 days a year with some falling snow, even if only for a few minutes. I saw falling snow only days before Christmas, one year.

Queenstown seemed to see settling snow1-2 times a winter, but more some years. Only a few km from town will see settling snow much more common -where I lived closer to Arrowtown, there was probably closer to 7-8 days with settling snow.

I had two winters in Christchurch, and the suburb where I was had settled snow twice, but it doesn't show on any records -I think that only snow in the city centre counts.
How about non-settling snow in these places?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:50 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,489,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
How about non-settling snow in these places?
Probably 3-5 days in Invercargill and Queenstown. Less in Christchurch.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:56 PM

2,942 posts, read 2,890,701 times
Among big cities (above 1 million) have to be Mendoza and Santiago. Mendoza in particular recorded like 4-5 snowfalls in the last decade. So, that's close to one every two year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather