Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country has more climate variety - Canada or Argentina?
Canada 13 24.07%
Argentina 41 75.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times

Advertisements

Teresina in Brazil has an average daily max. of almost 37C in September and October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 AM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
As far as I can tell in Canada, the station with the highest summer temperature in the country is Windsor, ON with 22.7C with the average temperature in the hottest month. The coldest... Alert, NU 3.3C in the warmest month.. almost 20C difference in temperature...
Argentina:
Warmest in summer: Rivadavia (province of Salta), 28.8 C average temperature in the hottest month
Coldest in summer: Estancia La Correntina (province of Tierra del Fuego), 8.1 C average temperature in the hottest month

So, around 20 C difference

Quote:
In the winter, I think the warmest is Amphitrite Point in Ucluelet, BC at 5.8C in the coldest month and the coldest .. well not sure but I think Alert is also the coldest at -33.4C in the coldest month... more than 39C temperature difference.
Warmest in winter: Buena Vista (province of Formosa), 18.0 C average temperature in the coldest month
Coldest in winter: Rio Grande (province of Tierra del Fuego), -0.3 C average temperature in the coldest month

So, around 18 C difference... or around 20 C if we consider Paso Garibaldi in Tierra del Fuego, which is not a town, but a mountain pass located at 450 m asl. It has -1.7 C.

Quote:
I could be wrong on the hottest and coldest stations in Canada but as far as I know this is correct.
I state the same with respect to my data.

Quote:
I imagine in Argentina the coldest would be Ushuaia for winter and summer and hottest would be somewhere near Iguazu falls. It would be great if sanfel or someone else could confirm.
Voilá...

Could have been near Iguazu Falls, but Rivadavia, in Salta, is farther north and still at a low altitude of about 200 m asl.

Quote:
I'm not sure if temperature range should be considered in evaluating which country has the most range of climates but it should be a factor.
I agree.

PS: I apologize for not converting values into customary units but sometimes there are too many data... I try to do it whenever I can.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:14 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
What do you call subtropical? I'm sure that deneb87 and many others don't go by Köppen's definition of "subtropical". I myself don't agree with that definition, even though I'm a cold lover.
Actually, under the Koeppen definition no part of Canada has a humid subtropical climate, or any other kind of subtropical climate. The closest it comes to the subtropics are some areas of Csb climate (cool summer Mediterranean), whose temperature profile is temperate/oceanic, not subtropical.

Canada has the following climate types to my knowledge:

Dfa (Hot Summer Continental)
Dfb (Warm Summer Coninental)
Dfc (Subarctic)
ET (Tundra)
Cfb (Oceanic)
Csb (Cool Summer Mediterranean)
BSk (Cold Steppe)

Plus perhaps some isolated spots of Dsa, Dsb, or Dsc, judging by the nearby Alaska Panhandle. Canada has quite a range of climate types, but there are only three main types: oceanic, continental, and polar. All three are in the moderate to cold range of climate types, so there isn't that much variety.

As for Argentina, there's probably a wider range of climates. The following climate types exist in Argentina to my knowledge:

Cfa (Humid Subtropical)
Cwa (Humid Subtropical, dry winter)
Cfb (Oceanic)
Cwb (Subtropical Highland)
BSh (Hot Steppe)
BWh (Hot Desert)
Csb (Cool Mediterranean)
Cfc (Maritime Subarctic)
ET (Tundra)
Depending on which isotherm you use, Argentina may also have BSk or BWk climates. There may also be isolated areas of Aw climate.

So, Canada has a range from moderate to cold, and Argentina has a range from hot to moderate. Sure, it has polar climates, but none of those climates have genuinely cold winters. They do have very cool summers, which gives it a similar summer range to Canada, though the winter range is lacking. The clincher for me is that Argentina has a much wider range in precipitation. While Canada's precipitation is almost always even ("f" climates with some "s" climates), Argentina has even-precip climates, dry-winter climates, dry-summer climates, steppes, and deserts.

So, in the end, I would choose Argentina for variety.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
wow, i would thought this was like a no contest. Argentina having a BIG variety of climates and Canada being much more monotonal.

But of course what do i know??

It seems like Canada has more variety than i thought and Argentina not as much. And it seems like Argentina is much more varied anyway.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:58 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,042 times
To clear up all the misunderstanding and misinformation, here is the Koppen map for the Americas. I counted 7 zones for Canada and only 5 for Argentina. Now we need to reset the polls so the people who voted wrong and can recast their votes.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 AM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
To clear up all the misunderstanding and misinformation, here is the Koppen map for the Americas. I counted 7 zones for Canada and only 5 for Argentina. Now we need to reset the polls so the people who voted wrong and can recast their votes.
I counted more than 5 for Argentina:

1. Aw
2. Cfa
3. BSh / BSk (or should I split these into two?)
4. BWk
5. ET
6. H
7. Cfb

But I'm not so into the Köppen classification. Did I count right?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
one climate type for Canada that was not mentioned that may or may not be present in Argentina is the EF climate or ice cap climate. There are several relatively large areas in the Canadian arctic which feature this climate such as on Ellesmere island.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Argentina:
Warmest in summer: Rivadavia (province of Salta), 28.8 C average temperature in the hottest month
Coldest in summer: Estancia La Correntina (province of Tierra del Fuego), 8.1 C average temperature in the hottest month

So, around 20 C difference

Warmest in winter: Buena Vista (province of Formosa), 18.0 C average temperature in the coldest month
Coldest in winter: Rio Grande (province of Tierra del Fuego), -0.3 C average temperature in the coldest month

So, around 18 C difference... or around 20 C if we consider Paso Garibaldi in Tierra del Fuego, which is not a town, but a mountain pass located at 450 m asl. It has -1.7 C.

I state the same with respect to my data.

Voilá...

Could have been near Iguazu Falls, but Rivadavia, in Salta, is farther north and still at a low altitude of about 200 m asl.

I agree.

PS: I apologize for not converting values into customary units but sometimes there are too many data... I try to do it whenever I can.
In the last summer (by Ogimet):
Warmest: La Rioja (province of La Rioja). 29.9ºC (23.2ºC/37.3ºC) average in January.
Coldest: Ushuaia (province of Tierra del Fuego). 9.5ºC (6.7ºC/13.4ºC) average in January.
Difference: 20.4ºC.

In the last winter (by Ogimet):
Warmest:: Puerto Iguazú (province of Misiones).15.2ºC (10.3ºC/21.4ºC) average in July.
Coldes: Río Grande (province of Tierra del Fuego). -0.1ºC (-3.3ºC/2.9ºC) average in July.
Difference: 15.1ºC.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
And I have a better map :

There are small regions of differing climate types in Argentina which Kaul's map is too broad to depict. Climate zones in Canada tend to be bigger and broader than Argentine climate zones. I've seen data from spots in Argentina conforming to all of the climate types shown on the map, so it looks to me to be essentially correct.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
And I have a better map :

There are small regions of differing climate types in Argentina which Kaul's map is too broad to depict. Climate zones in Canada tend to be bigger and broader than Argentine climate zones. I've seen data from spots in Argentina conforming to all of the climate types shown on the map, so it looks to me to be essentially correct.
That map shows no EF climates for Canada... there are at least several ice caps on Ellesmere Island which would fall in that category (albeit these EF climates are definitely shrinking due to climate change)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather