Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country has more climate variety - Canada or Argentina?
Canada 13 24.07%
Argentina 41 75.93%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastyork View Post
Canada does have desert climate areas, albeit very small.
There is an area in the interior of southern BC between Lytton and Kamloops
that has annual precipitation of less than 10 inches, the driest place in Canada (other than the high arctic)
is Ash croft,BC ....it receives an average precip of 6 inches,less than Tucson, or El Paso!
Other desert areas are located along Fraser River near Lilloet/Big Creek area, Vaseux Lake,
and near Osoyoos there is an area called "The Pocket Desert".
All BC deserts are in a severe rain shadow, east of the Coast Mountains.

In southern Yukon Territory at Carcross there is an area of sand dunes known locally as
the worlds smallest desert.

SE Alberta/SW Saskatchewan is short grass prairie region that has borderline desert-like climate
with an annual precip in the 10 to 12 inch range (and in dry years much less).
Noteable in Saskatchewan just north of Maple Creek are the Great Sand Hills....over 500 square miles of sand dunes and an even larger dune field in northern Sask. (ake Athabaska/Urainium City area).
yeah I checked back on that and koppen considers them shrub lands not true deserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 11:58 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,513,858 times
This old thread was an interesting read.

I stumbled across this blog post providing evidence that, despite popular opinion to the contrary, the only part of Canada that truly qualifies as desert is the area around Ashcroft BC and not, in fact, the area around Osoyoos.

https://questioningthedata.wordpress...y-true-desert/

Ashcroft BC
by Arek Eych, on Flickr
(Creatrive Commons license, permission granted by author to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format if attribution is provided.)

PS. Why is Ashcroft censored from this site--keeps coming out as ******** instead of Ashcroft?

Old 04-08-2020, 02:08 PM

1,056 posts, read 725,806 times
I say Argentina.

Canada has no subtropical climates at all (unless you use a classification where winters over 6C count regardless of summer temperature, but even then only marginally in Victoria, BC). Argentina even has climates with winter means over 10C, which means trees can grow year-round in some parts of the country. Both have polar climates.

Like Canada, Argentina still has both mild- and cold-winter climates. It also still has both humid climates and dry-summer climates.

Before you argue that Argentina lacks any cold-winter climates, it does NOT. It has Dfc and Dsc climates in the southern areas and high Andes, a few even near sea level, so it clearly does have subpolar continental climates. I'm sure some of you may now also be arguing that it doesn't have non-subpolar continental climates like Canada's hemiboreal regions, but that's also false; Argentina DOES have a few Dsb climates, so a few hemiaustral regions do exist in the country.

Last but not least, Canada doesn't have any mild-winter tundra climates. Argentina has perhaps the most notorious example of one, as not only Ushuaia itself has healthy trees; even the Magellanic Moorland is more of a windswept heathland than mild tundra, as there are still a few small trees in wind-sheltered parts of the moorland (something no real tundras have).

Climate of Argentina

Buenos Aires climate

Rio Grande climate

Puente del Inca geography and climate

Ushuaia climate

Old 04-13-2020, 12:43 PM

679 posts, read 359,005 times
Canada has 12 Koppen types of climate: BSk, Csb, Cfb, Cfc, Dsb, Dsc, Dwc, Dfa, Dfb, Dfc, ET, EF:

Argentina has 19 Koppen types of climate: Am, Aw, BWh, BWk, BSh, BSk, Csb, Csc, Cwa, Cwb, Cwc, Cfa, Cfb, Cfc, Dsb, Dsc, Dfc, ET, EF:
Both maps are taken from Wikipedia.
I think Argentina is more variable, because it has climates for heat lovers, mild lovers and some climates for cold lovers too. Argentina's climates could have different precipitation patterns. Canada has climates only for cold lovers. And Canada usually has even precipiation pattern. Canada is slightly less climate varible than Russia.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:41 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
-Almost a copy from an older post-

Köppen climate classification may be a questionable way to determine climate diversity, as different climate types cover different ranges of climates. For instance Cxc and in a lesser extent Dxc can be stuck in very narrow strips between Cxb, Dxb, ET and even BSk climates, and they may come up in mountain areas where multiple types flourish within very small areas without them representing a truly massive diversity of environments.

On the other hand, the B climates are oversimplified into a four pieces cake and each part often covers very dissimilar climates (this post, for instance, mentions three unrelated BSk climates: Chos Malal, La Quiaca and Río Gallegos).

It’s also frequently seen the occurrence of small isolated spots of a certain climate type that marginally manages to exist in an area, adding up a whole climate type, without representing any of the actual variability this climate type can achieve.

Anyway, if briefly explained, Köppen may provide a quick outlook onto the variety and boundaries inside a territory. It’s common to find out that some types may exist but lack any known stations that confirm them. Sometimes it’s easy to deduce either the presence or absence of a climate type; sometimes it can be inconclusive as long as new measurements weren’t taken.

The following extract counts every Köppen climate type and mention and analyses their presence in Argentina. It follows Beck et al (BXh/BXk boundary in 18°C for the average temperature, C/D boundary in 0°C for the coldest month, etc.).

Af – Absent. Northeastern Formosa gets less than 60 mm in their driest months; nowhere in Misiones province is the coldest month warmer than 16.5°C.

Am – Very likely to be found in northeastern Formosa province, in the border with Paraguay, but no station known with this climate type in the country.

Aw – Unlikely to occur; indicated in some maps for a small spot in Northeastern Salta province, probably after extrapolated data. The closest station to the spot, Santa Victoria Este, falls short in both temperature (by 0.6°C) and precipitation (by 85 mm). It’s not totally impossible, though, for the required thresholds to be reached nearby.

BSh – Common in lowlands of Northwestern Argentina, i.e. La Rioja.

BWh – Found in some basins of Northwestern Argentina, west of BSh areas, i.e. Tinogasta. They are usually close to the BWk types, with no places where average temperature surpasses 20°C.

BSk – Found throughout Western and Southern Argentina, surrounding the BWk type, i.e. La Quiaca and Río Gallegos.

BWk – Widespread in Western and Southern Argentina, i.e Neuquén.

Cfa – Widespread in the northeast quarter of the country, i.e. Buenos Aires.

Cfb – Mostly present in Buenos Aires province, where it develops as an oceanization of the Eastern subtropical climates once the continent shrinks towards the south, i.e. Mar del Plata.

Cfc – Present in Tierra del Fuego (such as Ushuaia City -borderline in the airport-) and maybe various isolated spots in mainland Patagonia and Mendoza province.

Cwa – Found in two main areas located in Central Argentina (i.e. Córdoba) and the lowlands of the northwest next to the Andes (i.e. Tucumán).

Cwb – Contiguous to Cwa but in higher elevations towards the west (i.e. Salta).

Cwc – Found in small patches in the Eastern slopes of the Northwest Andes and the highlands of San Luis and Córdoba mountains, such as Pampa de Achala, above 2200 m.

Csa – Possibly absent. Borderline in the old BSk station of Chos Malal. There is a small possibility for this climate to marginally exist in some valleys of northwestern Neuquén province and the extreme south of Mendoza province, in forms very close to the BSk and Csb triple point.

Csb – Typical from the Andean region from Mendoza to Santa Cruz provinces, i.e. Bariloche.

Csc – Expected to be found in a slim altitudinal strip, just above the Csb climates and below Dsc/ET climates, as long as annual ranges are low, which is fairly common in Patagonia, especially in mountain slopes. For instance, between Bariloche (830 m) and Cerro Catedral station (1950 m). No station known to have this climate in the country; it exists in the frontier town of Balmaceda, Chile. Possible in Mendoza province, although bigger annual ranges make the altitudinal transition Csb > Dsb > Dsc more likely.

Dfa – Absent, far from occurring.

Dfb – It may exist in small mountain spots in Mendoza province, just west of the highly unusual Cfb Valle de Uco, where mountains quickly rise to above 4000 m.

Dfc – Found in Tierra del Fuego (i.e. Río Grande) and maybe various isolated spots in mainland Patagonia and Mendoza province. In all cases, it’s a marginal appearance far from the stereotypical form of this climate, being very close to the Cfc, Csc and BSk types.

Dwa – Absent, far from occurring.

Dwb – Very unlikely to exist around the Cwb/Cwc/Dwc pockets of high eastern slopes of the Northwest.

Dwc – Possible in small pockets in the highlands of Córdoba Mountains and the Northwest Andes, especially in the Eastern slopes of Aconquija and Ambato Mountains. For instance, west of the Cwb station Potrero del Clavillo, where Aconquija Mountains rise to above 5000 m.

Dsa – Absent, far from occurring.

Dsb – Found in mountainous pockets of Western Mendoza and Neuquén provinces, i.e. Las Leñas. Likely present in Western San Juan province and maybe south of Neuquén.

Dsc – Found in the Andes from San Juan to Santa Cruz provinces, i.e. Valle de los Patos. It usually occupies the highlands of the Mediterranean pattern region of the country, below the ET line.

Dsd, Dfd, Dwd – Absent, far from occurring.

ET – Widespread in high altitude regions across the country, i.e. Cristo Redentor. It reaches sea level in Tierra del Fuego, i.e. Tolhuin (not coastal).

EF – Widespread in the mountain tops throughout the Andes. Aconcagua summit, at 6960 m, is estimated to average -14/-15°C in the warmest month.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:45 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
And never forget the fact that all of these countings you were doing are based on the flawed Koppen. If we go by environment similarities, putting Bahía Blanca and the Iguazú Falls in the same bag is an aberration even worse than the NYC-Orlando pairing in the US. Nuff said.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:07 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Argentina. No contest, really.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I picked Canada.

Yes, there are 17 Koppen types in Argentina vs. 12 in Canada. However, in Argentina, several of those climates are very marginal (ET) or seen only in tiny areas of the country in mountainous areas. Whereas in Canada, 11 climates (all but Dwc) are reasonably widespread. The Dfa area of Canada is fairly small geographically, but heavily populated.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
This old thread was an interesting read.

I stumbled across this blog post providing evidence that, despite popular opinion to the contrary, the only part of Canada that truly qualifies as desert is the area around Ashcroft BC and not, in fact, the area around Osoyoos.

https://questioningthedata.wordpress...y-true-desert/

Ashcroft BC
by Arek Eych, on Flickr
(Creatrive Commons license, permission granted by author to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format if attribution is provided.)

PS. Why is Ashcroft censored from this site--keeps coming out as ******** instead of Ashcroft?
I'm only guessing because some people probably used to bash John Ashcroft on the P&OC board

Old 04-14-2020, 08:50 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
I picked Canada.

Yes, there are 17 Koppen types in Argentina vs. 12 in Canada. However, in Argentina, several of those climates are very marginal (ET) or seen only in tiny areas of the country in mountainous areas. Whereas in Canada, 11 climates (all but Dwc) are reasonably widespread. The Dfa area of Canada is fairly small geographically, but heavily populated.
Not the best choice for a marginal climate type in Argentina…

ET occurs from the highlands of the north at 4000 meters up to coastal Tierra del Fuego, covering the whole altitudinal and latitudinal range in between.

So ET climates in Argentina can be extremely snowy the whole year (Patagonian Andes), very rainy and oceanic (Isla de los Estados), very dryish (North), have sunny summers and snowy winters (Central Andes), have sunny winters and lots of thunderstorms in the summer (Eastern slopes of the Andean Plateau), have less than 1500 sunshine hours (Tierra del Fuego), have more than 3200 sunshine hours (Central Andes)…

Mountains get to EF so both the upper and lower thermal thresholds are covered, biomes under ET include Nothofagus forests, steppes, alpine tundras, glaciers, barren periglacial areas…

Anyway, under the same analysis we can also say that no climate types other than Dfb, Dfc and ET are very developed in Canada. The mosaic of C and Ds climates is roughly equivalent to one found in Western and Southwestern Argentina and the BSk is very marginal (I bet it doesn’t get very close to the upper boundary of 18°C!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather