Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 01:51 AM

5,886 posts, read 10,486,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Same here. Last days:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Good to enjoy in the swimming pool or to get a tan, but very bored meteorologically.. and, to get even worse, these two cloudy days ruined a potential good stretch of days with maxims above 30C
Yes, since i arrived from mar del plata (around the 5th) days here are the same: sunny, around 30c, hot. Nights are warm to hot. I dont like it at all (hate this temps) but i have to admit (as i ve said before) at least we are not having heatwaves like last januarys. Yeah, its awful (30-34c its way more than i like in summer temp), but i know it could be much more extreme.
On the other hand, nights have been really hot. I mean, some days the max was 30c and the night temp was 29c, or even 30c. As that data shows, the low have been high. While the highs have been average, the lows have been high, that means hot night, wich i hate.

But, anyways, all in all, this january has been more benign than last years, when we had those 38c days and 40c heat index. Im thankful if we dont have any 40c or above heat index, like in december.

But, overal, of course, its not good. I wish we had a day in were highs were around 25c, and lows around 15c
Also, very little rain, only yesterday it rained a bit, last 6 or 7 months have been really rainy, but january seems to always resembles somewhere in arizona. You know, sunny, hot, sunny sunny sunny. I get really tired of sunny. On the other hand, i also hate humidity (wich rains brings more).

Overall i hate everything

I wish BA summer was more like Mar del Plata, on the last couple of days, its been really cold. Today my mom was telling me temp there was like 15c (at daytime! around 5pm) and temp here was of course 30c or above. The usual. I talk with my parents everyday and its ridiculous how much better the summer is there. Yes, they do get the ocassional 30c, but then they get many days of cooloff. When here its: 30, 31, 30, 32, 33, 31, 29.8, 30. Sunny, sunny, sunny.

Mar del Plata haves more clouds, and DEFINETELY much colder nights (the nights is in were the difference is truly inmense between both cities) and more variely, unstability, and coolness. Anyways, their summer weather is a 100 times better.

I hate how STABLE climate seems to be here in January. Last january was the same, very stable. Ok, it had streches of very hot here (hotter than this january) but it was stable in the sense: temps above 30c, sunny. All month.

Im starting to think January is the more stable month in Buenos Aires. Cause spring here can be really unstable (with storms, huge changes in temps day to day, etc), and even december and february can have more surprises (feb is usually rainy, there are storms, december seems to vary more in temps). But in january, if you could bet and win money, just bet that day is gonna be 30-33c and sunny and youll be right 90% of the time.

BORING.

(of course if the stableness means it was 8-12c and sunny, im sure i wouldnt hate it at all . But its true stable IS boring)

Last edited by SophieLL; 01-19-2013 at 02:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 AM

Hipotetical Typical stretch of days in january in Mar del Plata: monday: 25c sunny
tuesday: 30, partly cloudy
wednesday: 20c storms
thursday: 18c, overcast
friday: 21c, rain

Hipotetical Typical stretch of days in january in BA : monday: 33 sunny
tuesday: 32 sunny
wednesday: 32 sunny
thursday: 29.9 sunny
friday: 33 sunny

lol at the variety

Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 AM

414 posts, read 794,379 times
Mar del Plata still averages 26C in its warmest month, so that stretch of temps (bar the 30 deg day) is a little cooler than average.

BA is really a semi- inland city when you look at the topography, whereas MDP and far southern Brazil are right on the coast and should get nice seabreezes from the Atlantic. The waters of the Rio de La Plata must get pretty toasty in summer, thus giving BA the oppressive nights.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:39 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,047,131 times
Beautiful day here, with the high nudging 30 C. You could smell the smoke in the air from fires on the outskirts of town -- it's been a problem recently.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxnerd86 View Post
Mar del Plata still averages 26C in its warmest month, so that stretch of temps (bar the 30 deg day) is a little cooler than average.

BA is really a semi- inland city when you look at the topography, whereas MDP and far southern Brazil are right on the coast and should get nice seabreezes from the Atlantic. The waters of the Rio de La Plata must get pretty toasty in summer, thus giving BA the oppressive nights.
Yeah, the average high for january its 26 (though the avg low is...14c!!), but i swear this temperature do happen all the time in MDP, like the week i related. Maybe one or 2 days after it has a strech or 2/3 days with temp of around 32, to compensate. Also, take in count the average low of MDP...14c. And how the temp changes in the same day. One of the great things of that climates are the afternoon, after the sun starts to set, around 6:30 pm, the temperature drops A LOT. So if the high one day, at say 3 pm, its 27c, at 6 pm it can easily be 20, or 17c, while at 9 pm temp will be 15c. Its typical to be on the beach and need a sweater for when the sun stops shinning. The temp swings are much greater in mdp than in BA (in where theres virtually no difference between day and night, i mean a 30c day in BA will most likely have a night with very similar temp). Anyways, point is, a high in MDP means much less than a high in buenos aires.

A high of 28c in mdp maybe means that is around 28 for only a couple of hours, and then temp dropping a lot and easily and remaining cool all night and morning. While a max of 30c in buenos aires will mean MOST of the days with temps of 30c or very close to 30c, and a very brief period of time in the morning with cooler temps.

I think thats not considered enough. Let say a place haves an average high of 30c in one month, but its so unstable that the 30c only last for like 2 hours, and most of the day temps are below 22c?
Lets say another place haves an average high of 30c and the temp remains being 30c for like 20 hours a day?
Are this two place equally hot ? clearly not.
The amount of time in where temps remain hot is also very important.
In the case of buenos aires, thats one of the worst thing about this climate. The higher temperature last a lot, nights are always very similar to highest day temperatures, and the lows only ocurr for a very brief period in the morning. Thats why sometimes the 21/31 avg of january sounds better than it is. In a typical 21/31 day, the temps will always be much closer to 31 than to 21.

In mar del plata, the temp is very unstable. A day with maximums of 30c can easily have a 14c night. In BA that would be almost impossible.

I say the difference in highs between this 2 cities in January, seems MUCH higher than only 4c for people thats been in both. It seems at least 10c. Why is this? Cause a typical day in MDP, the high last very little, and temps cool off easily, and its cool before and after and most of the day. While the CONSISTENT prevalence of the higher temperature in buenos aires, make it seem much hotter than it is. A person that doesnt know about climate or averages would easily say that temps in Mar del Plata and buenos aires in january are apart for at least 10c.
Of course the lows play an important part in this, are the difference between both places is actually much higher (almost 7c hotter in BA), but the time the hottest temperature remains in the air is actually very important to the perception of how cool/hot a place is.

Mar del plata is percieved as cooler than it is, and BA as hotter. And its because of this.

Last edited by SophieLL; 01-19-2013 at 05:47 AM..

Old 01-19-2013, 02:58 PM

414 posts, read 794,379 times
Very true SophieLL- it's the duration of heat that matters for comfort. Indoor temperatures are a function of average temperature through the day, so it's a pretty logical argument. Here in Sydney we can have several days above 30C in spring, but they never feel as bad as a hot day in summer because the temp only spikes at the maximum for an hour or so. Generally, minimums will also be far lower in spring.

To illustrate this further, I like to make a comparison between my location 10 km inland in the suburbs of Sydney and Cooma (800 m ASL, 80 km from the coast and about 290 km south). Both have an average January maximum of 27-28C, but Cooma's average minimum temperature is 11C compared to 18-19C for here. I spend quite a bit of time in the Cooma area, and you really don't notice the heat till about noon.

Climate statistics for Australian locations (Canterbury Racecourse)
Climate statistics for Australian locations (Cooma Visitors Centre)

Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM

3,746 posts, read 2,957,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Incredible how the "oceanicity" of Sydney can disappear in just a few days. As someone said, 45.8 C is 20 C above average!
The same can be said for the likes of Eucla in WA, in the so-called "mild desert" of the Nullarbor.
The average summer max is only 26C, but recorded 48C at the start of the year - not for the first time!
Sydney though can go for a number of summers without seeing a 40C max, then all of a sudden 2 in the one year, the 2nd breaking the record by 0.5C.
As DnxNerd has stated, the beauty of Sydney's climate is that heat is only short-lived, only twice in history has Sydney recorded 2 days in a row over 100F (37.8C) - a laughable statistic to places like Perth and Adelaide.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:12 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,523,623 times
Great fishing at present, as would be expected for high summer- lots of big bitey things around. Interesting to note- that that 5C/42F minimum air temperature two nights ago, wasn't enough to stop the surface seawater temp yesterday reaching 23C/74F at about 5 kms out.

Yesterday had lots of haze from Aussie bush fires.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 AM

473 posts, read 664,417 times
There were some incredible storms across the Western Darling Downs last night. The amount of lightning in them was amazing, although I didn't get the full show here as the main activity was to the west. There were also some massive rainfall totals, because the storms were very slow moving due to light winds in the mid to upper levels of the atmosphere. The town of Chinchilla had the highest official reading of 150mm/6", but there were unofficial reports as high as 225mm/9". Most of this rain would have fallen in just a few hours. There is some flooding, but not as bad as it could be since the ground was dry from the low rainfall in the second half of 2012.

In Dalby, there was a storm at about 2am with 24mm/1" recorded at the airport, but more on my side of town. Pretty nice, but another 50mm is needed to reach the average for January. I'm glad I'm not in Brisbane, their January total is only up to 3.4mm!

Looks like the heatwave is finally ending, as maximum temperatures are likely to stay near the average for the next week. Nights might be a bit warm though.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:47 AM

17 posts, read 15,451 times
What's a thunderstorm? Also, what is this "summer" thing that people talk about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather