U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best tropical climate?
Rainforest 6 20.69%
Monsoon 9 31.03%
Savanna 14 48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2012, 02:39 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,121,939 times

Advertisements

^^^ Very dry from Dec to March indeed, but not that sunny - one could expect 10 hours of sun a day considering there's virtually no rainfall. The wet season is incredible for sure - that looks like some of the wettest areas in India
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM

3,337 posts, read 4,707,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
^^^ Very dry from Dec to March indeed, but not that sunny - one could expect 10 hours of sun a day considering there's virtually no rainfall. The wet season is incredible for sure - that looks like some of the wettest areas in India
West Africa.

What do you think of Adamstown?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM

654 posts, read 1,368,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Koppen's rules for distinguishing between Monsoon and Savanna climates seem a bit confusing and arbitrary to me. Anyone have a good explanation?
Very good question b/c I thought somewhere like Conakry w/ a very different distinct dry season should be classified as Aw, but instead is classified Am while Rio with a less distinct dry season is classified Aw. I thought it was classified as areas with a dry season but not too dry, like Miami, San Juan and Santo Domingo. They all average about 6-12 days/month during their dry season.

The definition between monsoon and savanna to me is a head scratcher as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 PM

3,337 posts, read 4,707,579 times
Miami has a tropical monsoon climate by Köppen's rules. The driest month is barely wet enough though, by about 3 mm.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:22 PM

2,702 posts, read 5,121,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
West Africa.
I know, what I was saying is that those 1000mm+ rainfall months remind me of the wetter parts of India during its monsoon

Adamstown's got some great fabulous temps, but I dislike that the coolest month is also the rainiest. I love warm, dry, sunny winters

Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,219,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Also, Adamstown. It looks like a cooler rainforest climate that isn't excessively wet.
Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very nice. A lot of the climates in the South Pacific (Tonga, Niue, New Caledonia, etc.) fit the mold of cooler tropical rainforest climates.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM

585 posts, read 1,350,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
i like all three as well…and i would also go with tropical savannah too, but maybe for different reasons than others:

Although painfully beautiful, the tropical rainforest climate (often within 15 degrees of the equator) is one where the rains last 8 or 9 months (the itcz is always close by)…the dry season is short (often only 2 months)…and there is never a cool/dry/sunny season with low dew points. A place like the congo basin or the amazon come to mind.

The tropical monsoon climate is better (and often located further from the equator than the tropical rainforest climates)….you get a shorter wet season (maybe 6 months)….a longer nicer dry season (often 5 – 6 months)….and there is a good semblance of a drier/sunnier/cool season with lower dew points/rh. The only down side is often the monsoon climates have intense and non-stop rainfall at the time of the “wet” so the time of high sun (summer) is often wet and the sun struggles to come out. Places like southeast asia come to mind.

The tropical savanna climate is likely the best imo (and is located the furthest from the equator often near 20 – 25 n/s): There is a good “wet season” for proper lush growth….there is a long dry season (so dry, that often severe winter drought is an issue like in calcutta, miami,…etc), often up to half the year, and winters are sunny/mild/with low dew points/rh…..and high sun rains (summer) are often a bit less intense than monsoon tropics and there is more summer sun.

The tropical savanna seems to be the most livable imo
+ 1

Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM

778 posts, read 952,003 times
I'm not a fan of any of these, but if forced to choose I'll go with Savanna - the less rain there is, the lower the humidity and cloudiness, the less irritable I'll be!
Even better would be a Honolulu type of tropical semi-desert.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,566,945 times
It was a tie for me between Savannah and Monsoon, but since I've voted Savannah in other threads, I voted Monsoon for this one. Love the thunderstorms.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 1,797,630 times
I like the Monsoon climate. The only problem with this climate is that the dry season is usually the cooler season. I prefer the cooler season to be the wettest. Adamstown isn't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or