Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Obviously 83F isn't the norm (in fact it's 2F from the monthly record high), but in December warm waves 70's and 80's do occur.

It just seems to be how winter works in the South. The warm anomalies when they occur seem to be less extreme than the cold anomalies when they occur. The January monthly record high in Houston is 24F above average, whereas the record low is 34F below average. Hypothetically, let's say your January average is 45F. If, in a hypothetical month, 20 days are 55F (+10 from average), and 10 days are 25F (-20 from average), the average for that month is 45F, right on the nose for the average despite below-average weather being rarer. In the real world it works like that on a larger scale (30+ years worth of Januaries) with smaller anomalies.
That's a little confusing, but I kinda get what you're saying. The record low in Memphis is -13F (Well below zero), but temperatures rarely go below zero, last time was December 1989. The record high is only 108F, but temperatures get to 100F or above nearly every summer, last time it DIDN'T happen was the summer of 2004. That's kind of how it works, for the North and South.

Last edited by cloudcrash619; 12-03-2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Adding a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
That's a little confusing, but I kinda get what you're saying. The record low in Memphis is -13F (Well below zero), but temperatures rarely go below zero, last time was December 1989. The record high is only 108F, but temperatures get to 100F or above nearly every summer, last time it DIDN'T happen was the summer of 2004. That's kind of how it works, for the North and South.
Your location says "Northwest Mississippi". Are you in one of the Memphis suburbs?

Of all southern cities, I'd say that Memphis is probably closest to my ideal climate.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Your location says "Northwest Mississippi". Are you in one of the Memphis suburbs?

Of all southern cities, I'd say that Memphis is probably closest to my ideal climate.
Yeah, DeSoto County, in the northwest corner of MS. It was in the mid-70's today, so we're not really having a perfect start to December either.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I remember that one well. Dec. of 1963. It started snowing Sunday morning and it was pretty cold, around 21°. It snowed all day and Memphis had a blockbuster 15" snowfall as temperatures fell. The snow cover with clear skies and calm wind a couple of nights later gave us the phenomenal temperature.

December of 1989 was a brutal one with a long stretch of a week or so that the temperature stayed well below freezing. The pipes froze in one of my rental houses and it was a catastrophe. December 1983 was another very cold month, Christmas day the temps did not get out of the low single digits for HIGHS.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,878,721 times
The only real change I've noticed here lately is that winters have been starting very abruptly. It used to be that ground froze over in November and then a snowpack gradually built up. Now it's above average warmth all fall followed by a sudden massive blizzard that drops half a meter of snow and starts winter in a day. Sure enough, this happened again about a week ago when temps dropped from +7°C -15°C and two consecutive blizzards brought more than 30 cm of snow.

The result is massive amounts of mosquitoes and ticks in the summer as ground doesn't properly freeze before a thick layer of snow builds on it, keeping it warm enough for larvae to survive. About ten years ago it got to -25°C for several days before any snow fell. The following summer was virtually absent of any bugs. Nowadays mosquito nets and bug spray are a necessity unless you want to be eaten alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather