Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM

13,490 posts, read 9,039,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
You may as well live in different climate when it comes to comparing your 'Winters' with mines.

Sure it was 7c at your place today and it ain't even gonna get above 5c in the mild sector tonight.
Yes it gets colder where you are, but when the UK has a cold winter it still gets cold here, just not as cold as where you live. Winters 2008/2009, 2009/2010 & 2010/2011 had notable cold snaps, but only 2010 was below average (& saw record breaking lows in N.I)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 PM

97 posts, read 326,985 times
It's in the 70s here in AL as well. It sucks. I try to just close the drapes, turn on the Christmas lights, and try not to look outside as I imagine it being 20 degrees and snowy outside. But alas, it's only a dream...

Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,717,939 times
I don't understand why people are complaining about 70s and 80s weather.. Unless you're completely heat intolerant, it's not that hot.

would you rather be in Yakutsk or Yellowknife?

Weather Forecast Yakutsk, Russia | Yakutsk Weather | Wunderground

Weather Forecast Yellowknife, Northwest Territories | Yellowknife Weather | Wunderground

Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,349,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I don't understand why people are complaining about 70s and 80s weather.. Unless you're completely heat intolerant, it's not that hot.

Weather Forecast Yellowknife, Northwest Territories | Yellowknife Weather | Wunderground
No one said anything about it being hot.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:

I wouldn't be complaining if it were September... but I mean, it's December.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,013,598 times
For those folks on here who don't want it mild in the winter, why do alot of you (like the OP), choose to live in the deep South? You DO realize that in the winter it might only get "chilly" on occasion. I moved to deep S. Texas to enjoy warmer winters, so I for one, am enjoying the nice weather.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,005,238 times
Oftentimes it is not by choice (for example, being born there), and/or moving out may not be financially viable. For most people, moving out is easier said than done.

However, I would strongly advise coldies in the South to move far to the north if at all possible. Sure, winters down the road will get colder, but moving to where the winter is reliable would give you a winter right away, as opposed to years down the road. Also, if you move to a place like Anchorage, winter is going to be infinitely better than the Deep South, even if Houston goes back to Little Ice Age climate. It would take a much colder climate regime than that to give Houston a real winter.

Quote:
As for myself, I am quite heat intolerant, and even 70F is pushing my tolerance, and anything much above 80F is unacceptable. However, this isn't about preference, not tolerance - which sort of weather you want at which time of year.

Let's say it was 30/45F all summer. Unless you're completely cold intolerant, it isn't that cold and you should be able to tolerate it just fine. However, I'm sure you think that would be extremely lousy weather for summer, for the simple reason that you don't want that in summer.

In the same fashion, us cold weather fans do not want 70's and 80's in winter - most of us are of the opinion that they have their place, and that place is summer. They are an unwelcome infestation in December, which happens to be winter. In winter we want snowy and cold weather to dominate, just like you want warm-to-hot weather to dominate in summer (and the rest of the year too).

Yellowknife is more to my liking. -8F to -30F is well within the zone of wintry temps already, and there's more snow there than in Yakutsk. It should also be noted that Yakutsk is going to have a similar temperature range to Yellowknife in the next week or so, so the snow is the only big difference.

Plus, I don't see what this proves in relation to the topic at hand. The difference between 0F and 70F is like the difference between night and day when it comes to wintry weather.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,013,598 times
What it proves, as the OP kept changing the direction of the topic by adding bits if information they were most interested in learning, made this conversation evolve onto what it is now. Therefore, the topic and discussions that have followed, are relevant to the OP's thoughts.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,717,939 times
I think the point I was trying to make is that its silly to complain about hot weather living in Houston, anymore than it is complaining about subfreezing weather in Yellowknife or rainy weather in Vancouver. Assuming the OP grew up there, they would know to expect hot weather in Houston at almost any time of year. Plus in addition to that they may have the option down the road to move to a colder and snowier climate like Anchorage when they are able to unlike heat lovers in Canada like me who have a much more difficult time as immigration to another country is the only option

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,349,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
For those folks on here who don't want it mild in the winter, why do alot of you (like the OP), choose to live in the deep South? You DO realize that in the winter it might only get "chilly" on occasion. I moved to deep S. Texas to enjoy warmer winters, so I for one, am enjoying the nice weather.
I'm a native Houstonian. I know our winters here are mild. But for the past few days, Houston has been way above average. 83 degress in December is not the norm.

My only point in this thread was me simply wondering why the south doesn't seem to experience extreme winter weather more often. We're frequently above average but rarely below average, it seems.

Keep in mind that weather isn't the only reason people choose to live somewhere. Just because I find our winters to be less than ideal doesn't mean I don't love my life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather