Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times

Advertisements

If you lived in a true winter climate you'd not get upto 50f nevermind 60f. IMO new York city does not have a winter at all.

Big woop that it snows once and a while. So what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:38 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
If you lived in a true winter climate you'd not get upto 50f nevermind 60f. IMO new York city does not have a winter at all.

^ That post is meant just to get a rise out of folks, plain and simple. No need to troll!

Winter, for all folks, is subjective. For me, the definition of Winter, includes shorter days, the coldest average temps of the year, and the reaction of plants and animals. This doesn't necessarily mean it must snow, be bitterly cold, or be the onset of an ice age.

And to the topic at hand, here in Portland, TX., we see most days in the 60's and 70's through winter. In Corpus Christi, about 7 miles from my house, sees an average high in January of 67 F.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:34 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:

I agree, but that post belongs here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
And to the topic at hand, here in Portland, TX., we see most days in the 60's and 70's through winter. In Corpus Christi, about 7 miles from my house, sees an average high in January of 67 F.
Sounds more like summer than winter . Seriously, when it's that warm year-round I can't feel any seasons at all; it just feels like different variations of summer. Sort of like the inverse of living on Ellesmere Island, where the whole year feels like winter. Anyway, with an average high of 67F it would be easier to list the days that are not in the 60's and 70's .

Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
There's nothing nefarious about it - I got it from The Weather Channel. At the time I looked at the 10-day forecast NYC had a forecast high of 38F for December 8 (now it's been updated to 40F). Plus, forecast sources differ - NWS has 64F and TWC has 60F (it was 59F back when I posted).

Nothing nefarious about that, either. The Weather Underground page on Central Park only goes back to 2000, so I thank you for getting more data. As for being a cold spinner, that's an unfair characterization. I call it as I see it, and I doubt that a cold spinner would have taken as much pleasure in deriding the mildness of NYC winters as I have in multiple threads (including this one). By my reckoning NYC doesn't have much of a winter at all, but 70F in December is somewhat rare.

I may also say that the timeframe of 13 years, only going back to the warm late 1990's, is equally convenient for a warm spinner . Why 13 instead of 12 or 15 or 40 or any other timeframe? I don't think you are a warm spinner, but I'm just pointing it out. Obviously the best measure of the long-term chances of 70+ in December would be to use the entire temperature record.

If someone here wishes to do that they're welcome to do so - when it comes to data, the more the merrier. I myself would much rather check up on temperatures in Scandinavia and the Yukon before I go to bed.
As far as the whimpyness of NYC winters....we agree 100% % here

As far as the point of the thread - NEI was 110% correct - I started it becasue it's intresting (to me) that a temperate 4 season climate like NYC can have 60's or even 70's in December. Agree 70's F in Dec/Jan/Feb is more rare in NYC - but the record high on just about EVERYDAY from Dec 1st to Feb 28th in NYC is OVER 60 F (maybe 7 days are not).

Also, the records at Central Park (NYC) only go back to 1856...I tend to doubt that from that tiem to the present was the only time in the last 300 years that NYC had 70's in Dec (or Jan, Feb). In fact, living outside NYC for many years and expernincing warm surges in mid winter, I would bet NYC has seen even near 80 F if one went far enough back.

Last edited by nei; 12-04-2012 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
As far as the point of the thread - NEI was 110% correct - I started it becasue it's intresting (to me) that a temperate 4 season climate like NYC can have 60's or even 70's in December.
Although I categorize NYC as subtropical and not temperate*, I concede that it's a bit interesting that 70's do occur there. Since even Chicago can have 70's in winter, I'm not surprised if 70's can occur in a place that averages as mild as NYC. However, it's a bit more surprising when 70's occur in a place as influenced by the ocean as NYC is, though I'm still not really impressed.

Quote:
Agree 70's F in Dec/Jan/Feb is more rare in NYC - but the record high on just about EVERYDAY from Dec 1st to Feb 28th in NYC is OVER 60 F (maybe 7 days are not).
Oh yes. Since just about every winter has at least one 60F reading, I would consider 60's to be common. During a warm wave, reaching 60F seems easy for NYC, but it's a lot harder for NYC to get up to 70F. Sort of like a pull-up bar.

Quote:
Also, the records at Central Park (NYC) only go back to 1856...I tend to doubt that from that tiem to the present was the only time in the last 300 years that NYC had 70's in Dec (or Jan, Feb). In fact, living outside NYC for many years and expernincing warm surges in mid winter, I would bet NYC has seen even near 80 F if one went far enough back.
I agree with that. I wouldn't doubt that somewhere down the line there was a warm shot much more extreme than anything we've seen since European settlement. There was probably a winter way back that was warmer than even the warmest winters we've recorded. If you're looking for pre-record warmth, the Medieval Warm Period would be a good place to look, though even the Little Ice Age had some warm winters mixed in, so who knows? If you go much farther back (millions of years) you would enter into a different climate regime (such as the PETM), so whether that would "count" is a matter of opinion.

Anyway, since the winter record is 75F, anything up to 80F wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Philadelphia, which isn't that far away, has recorded 79F in February.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
50s for sure... But Like someone pointed out.. 60s happen every December in NYC, but not more than a couple times. So you are correct... its not worthy.

As my comment stated... "Its Rare to have more than 2 days of 60s or 1 day of 70s in NYC in december"

And a comment like this....

"another day?".. that waves a red flag. Today was first day in the 60s (not past 60)in NYC and tomorow will be the last day.

In my area a max temp over 60F in winter is more likely than a high temp less than 20F (your dream kind of winter day).

From 1948 to present

Days with high temps less than 20F:
Dec=.08 Jan=.72 Feb=.28

Days with high temps greater than 60F:
Dec=2 Jan 1.3 Feb=1.6

Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
If NY doesnt have winters, whats left for the rest of the world??

Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
NY winters are harsh and snowy in my eyes. They are colder than winters in NI so I'm not sure what owenc was talking about.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
As far as the whimpyness of NYC winters....we agree 100% % here
Sure, they're not very intense, and will almost fail at giving a "winter wonderland" type experience that some poster yearn for — very long stretches of subfreezing weather with deep snow but it is cold from someone from milder climates. Just because it doesn't produce "true winter" by many's definition doesn't mean it's incapable producing noteworthy weather. Quoting part of your post here:

Quote:
That is funny...often the weather media outlets do seem to "run out of winter". If they just tried to match the forecasts to the real world...and not toward the media market they were in they might do alot better - lol.

It puts me in mind of an old articule I saved on my drive that appeared in the New Haven Register back in the 1990's. You might find it funny, it's about how they hype the winter/snow on the East Coast for marketing reasons and how a westerner precives it:

The absurdity of winter weather hype along the
East Coast of the United States:
But the residents are judging winter by cold standards, they're judging winter by what they're used to. Winters are rather variable (much more so than summer), so a below average winter can be a very different experience than an above average winter, even if the below average one is mild compared to further north. Compare last year's winter with the snowy ones previous. The size of the snowfalls would have been just as impressive here. I'd agree the locals don't know what cold winter can be unless they go further north, but the same could said anywhere. Except for lake effect regions, NYC is more capable of getting large snowstorms as the upper Midwest, particularly large ones. Green Bay averages double the snowfall of NYC but is no more likely to get a daily snowfall of 6" or more.

Quote:

NYC is variable, it also gets colder days as well. Not the most wintry of cities, but it's colder and gets more snow than your location, which you find noteworthy, why shouldn't others mention theirs? NYC gets 16 ice days / year

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Plus, people are taking in count one or two isolated days from December, when temp reached the 60s. What if you take in count the real winter? Like, after december 21th, when winter actually starts??

The temperatures in January are MUCH colder than in december.
I dont think anyone would say January and February arent cold in NY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather