Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,556,473 times

Advertisements

...like if you were describing it to someone who has no clues about what average temps represent (fairly common where I live). I thought it would be somehow more interesting than just posting tables with no comment or description on how they feel, etc. It would also be interesting to see if we can guess each other's averages just based on their descriptions, and see if WWF's and CWF's tend to interpret them differently

Here's mine:

My dream climate is a tropical wet and dry climate with three distinct seasons.

Winter (from late October to late February) is warm, sunny, calm and very dry. Any given day is warm enough for t-shirt weather and swimming. There is seldom any wind and the crisp blue sky is constantly cloudless with abundant sunshine. The air is very dry and rain is non existent, especially in December and January.
Nights are however relatively fresh yet pleasant due to the dry and calm conditions.
December has the coolest days, lowest rainfall and clearest skies of any month, while the coolest nights are experienced around early February due to cooler sea temps and very dry air.

Due to a particularly high sun angle, days get very warm to downright hot in spring (late Feb. to early May), particularly in April which sees the hottest afternoons of the year. The heat is however somewhat relieved by stronger breezes, nights that are still relatively mild, and a much increased storm activity. Maximal land heating indeed lead to frequent convective storms at that period of the year, peaking in April which is also the cloudiest month of the year, though sunshine still predominates.

By May, humidity starts to increase dramatically due to an inflow of humid southerly air, marking the beginning of the long tropical summer that lasts until mid-October. Days get progressively cooler compared to the hot and dry spring afternoons, while nights become very warm and humid with high dewpoints, resulting in a low diurnal range. Sunshine is abundant, though brief showers and downpours are common, yet less dramatic and more short lived than the convective storms of spring.

Can anyone guess the averages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,205,685 times
I managed to do that in the thread describing my dream climate... will repost it and modify it a little.

It's a cool four season climate with a drastic switch between snowy and sunny conditions. The nearly nonstop snowfall begins in mid-late November and ends in early April, although it is not unusual for these to be off by 2-3 weeks. Snow in the region falls as constant flurries, with little wind. However, these conditions and the lack of snowmelt make it relatively easy for blizzard conditions to develop. A few days each winter, conditions are windy enough to shut down the region.

Spring is known there as a sunny and cool season.

Summer starts sometime in early June. It's not hot, but you can work up a sweat by exercise or dressing like it's still April. It marks the beginning of thunderstorm season, with the blue dome skies of spring giving way to partly cloudy skies in the afternoon. If it's particularly cloudy around noon, it's a good sign that thunderstorms will be developing in the evening. Frequent lightning and gusty winds are typical with these storms. Unlike the snowy monsoon, thunderstorm season is more variable. Some years get thunderstorms every few days during the whole summer, while others are nearly as bone dry as spring. Summer ends in mid September, giving way to the blue dome skies and crispy nights of fall.

The one sentence version:
Snowy winters, cool and dry in the spring and autumn, and a mild summer with thunderstorms around.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Hot, humid thundery summers with heat from mid-May to early October. Mild winters with comfortable room temps during the day and coolish, occasional cold nights for variety. Dry, sunny winters. In essence a typical Cfa subtropical climate.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
Good idea for a thread. Although my idea of an ideal climate isn't set in stone, here is one version.

It is a warm, subtropical climate, with summers (May- early October) being more humid than winters. Summers are long, quite warm, but not hot. There are occasional hot days to be sure, but prolonged or extreme heat is rare. Precipitation and humidity are moderate. Most rainfall occurs during intense thunderstorms thus it doesn't actually rain for very long. Most days are sunny to partly cloudy, although overcast days do occur from time to time.

Spring (late Feb-April) and fall (late Oct-Nov) are pleasant seasons. Daytime temperatures are still quite nice but unlike summertime when one would normally seek shade to be comfortable outdoors, now you want to be in the sun. At night, you probably want to have a jacket or a sweater with you because it can get chilly. Spring is generally wetter than fall, but the weather is always quite changeable.

Winters (late Dec-early Feb) are chilly but somewhat dry, making for cool, crisp weather. Mostly sunny days compensate for the short daylight duration and the overall winter gloominess. Daytime temperatures are usually comfortably above freezing but frost does occur at night. Most precipitation falls as rain, but snow is possible during cold snaps, especially at night. However, snow usually melts within a day or two, especially when the sun returns.

TL;DR - long warm summers, pleasant shoulder seasons, and rather mild winters but with some chance brief periods of real winter weather. Precipitation pattern is slightly skewed towards the summer. Sunshine is moderate to above average.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,515,455 times
The climate of exactly where I am, or the climate the way it used to be before everything went torrid.

Mild to warm and dry summers.

Seasonably chilly autumns with a touch of frost and early October snows.

Cold and extremely changeable winters with lots of snow, followed by brilliant sunshine. The lakes stay frozen Dec.- Feb. like they are supposed to. Heavy late winter snows (this never happens anymore) with winter to late spring maximum rainfall in May.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
...like if you were describing it to someone who has no clues about what average temps represent (fairly common where I live). I thought it would be somehow more interesting than just posting tables with no comment or description on how they feel, etc. It would also be interesting to see if we can guess each other's averages just based on their descriptions, and see if WWF's and CWF's tend to interpret them differently
Okay, here's mine...

Four seasons, but winter lasting only about six weeks, i.e. from about Thanksgiving until New Years Day. (I shouldn't have to see a single snowflake after the first of January.) Then a fairly quick warming up and a long, beautiful spring, let's say from January through April. Summer should last from May through August. It could get hot, but not humid. Fall would start at the beginning of September and go all the way through until Thanksgiving. I should only have to wear a coat during the winter, which, as I said, would last only about six weeks. (Man, it's really hard to do this without numbers! ). There would be enough rain to keep everything lush and green, but it would rain mostly during the nighttime hours, with an occasional summer afternoon thundershower.

Where I am now, the average date of the first snowfall is November 6 (that's not too horrible), but the average day of the last snowfall is April 18. By April 18, I am so sick of snow I could scream. We have pleasant springs, but they are much too short. Overnight, we seem to go from winter to summer. I'm fine with our hot summers, because they are also dry and not humid. Falls where I am are also nice.

Actually, when I stop to think about it, I think that the one single thing I would wish for with regards to a perfect climate would be a greater degree of predictability. Here in Salt Lake City, we can have an entire week or so of beautiful, warm weather in March, and then get a storm which dumps a foot and a half of snow on the ground with practically no warming. I would prefer to have a gradual warming and a gradual cooling throughout the year. Weather surprises are really not my thing.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Winters are cold, though schizophrenic between mild, cloudy and damp periods and sunny, crisp cold spells interspersed with hefty snowstorms.
Spring is very variable, it can be almost summery one week only to fall back to winter the next. The first part would feature lots of clear periods, cold at night and mild in the day, with the slowly melting snowpack making them even brighter.
Summer is very warm to hot, with lots of thunderstorms bringing heavy rain, spectacular cloudscapes and an intense electric activity. Dry heatwaves are as common as humid ones. Some cooler days bring a relief from warmth, even though the nights always stay quite mild.
Fall features variable weather. The beginning is quite sunny but drier than summer with much cooler nights, the end features extensive cloudiness and gloominess.

TL;DR Warm summers, cold winters, variable shoulder seasons. Almost every kind of weather is possible.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
cold summer and extremely cold winter, cloudy, grey skies, windy, low sun angle, no more than four hours of daylight each day, wet summer and dry winter. This type of climate is located at latitude 70.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Hot, humid thundery summers with heat from mid-May to early October. Mild winters with comfortable room temps during the day and coolish, occasional cold nights for variety. Dry, sunny winters. In essence a typical Cfa subtropical climate.
You would love Buenos Aires except that we dont have dry winters (but it can be quite sunny too). About the thundery summers...oh my...the newspaper print a report after the big storm on thursday (big, HUGE, storm) that said that since BA is suffering a "tropicalization" of the weather, this summer we are gonna have one huge storm every 3 days! just like in a tropical summer. And its gonna be very hot, too. And humid. Oh, well. Storm lovers would love summer here.
Then the winters seem super appropiate for you too, in temperature. And summers ideal too.

I love this thread Later im gonna post my ideal climate later and try to guess some of other people averages, too.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Winter...cold enough to snow with as much sun as possible.

Autumn and Spring...warm enough to wear a t-shirt and shorts, but not warm enough to go swimming.

Summer...Warm, but not to the point of sweating even when you sit in the shade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather