Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 01:25 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Check this out. I was wondering why the winds were picking up today gusting to 25mph.

High pressure now over Maine. .. Low Pressure over Great Lakes. Pressure gradient tightening. Also ... people in short sleeves in Mid Atlantic and Ohio Valley as far north as Buffalo, while people were freezing in New England. That high pressure kept the warm air from surging too far north.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
^Very strange map.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
^Very strange map.
lol. Interesting isnt it? Thats why winter weather is so interesting. I didnt get out of the 30s today in CT while you were in the 50s in NJ probably. More importantly what a High Pressure can do to control temps. and we have to figure out where the rain/snow line setsup.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,299 times
Interesting to see the JMA and EUro ensembles close the low off further south for Friday. Maybe a south trend is in the works? I can see that happen if the blocking is not modeled correctly.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Fom the Latest GFS model. Snow total by Thursday evening
Hi there Cambium.... at work now. I see that was from the 12z GFS. What I dont get all that snow over North Dakota that run of the GFS and other runs too only have maybe an inch or two at best from a weak system Tue-Wed for us.... and nothing Thu. I wonder if the system you displaying with is showing bad snow amounts or what.... I wish we could get that much snow..... not much snow so far locally in eastern ND.....we still have our 1 inch on the ground. With our cool weather that will not go away until March.

The 18z GFS just came in and curious what you see from your display on total snowfall thru 00z Fri Dec 21 versus the attached image which is the raw model output on GFS total snow thru 00z Fri.
Attached Thumbnails
December 2012 U.S Storms-gfssnow.jpg  

Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi there Cambium.... at work now. I see that was from the 12z GFS. What I dont get all that snow over North Dakota that run of the GFS and other runs too only have maybe an inch or two at best from a weak system Tue-Wed for us.... and nothing Thu. I wonder if the system you displaying with is showing bad snow amounts or what.... I wish we could get that much snow..... not much snow so far locally in eastern ND.....we still have our 1 inch on the ground. With our cool weather that will not go away until March.

The 18z GFS just came in and curious what you see from your display on total snowfall thru 00z Fri Dec 21 versus the attached image which is the raw model output on GFS total snow thru 00z Fri.
Hey, thanks for the post. Hard to see the graphic and legend there. Keep in mind my post was "snow depth" up until that hour on that run.

Using the same hour you posted (102)thursday 7pm here's how the snow depth looks on the 18z GFS.... But take a look at the 6hr snowfall for hr87 below which better reflects the storm itself. Given the track of the storm ND seems to far out to benefit from this one so thanks for the heads up and reminder for all..

6hr snowfall 10pm Wednesday to 4am Thursday.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Oh ok....yeah the snow depth one isnt all that valuable....I dont know where it has the 6-8 in eastern ND thru nrn MN....we got around 1-2 inches presently except right along the border and if we get an inch (which is generous) still off a bit. So advise to use with caution.

After I posted I did see SnowD in the upper left.

That was an AWIPS screen capture.... we dont have any fancy computer PC programs to pull AWIPS images into the PC....that is the best we have.

Dan

Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
My car has a layer of ice all around it.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Oh ok....yeah the snow depth one isnt all that valuable....I dont know where it has the 6-8 in eastern ND thru nrn MN....we got around 1-2 inches presently except right along the border and if we get an inch (which is generous) still off a bit. So advise to use with caution.

After I posted I did see SnowD in the upper left.

That was an AWIPS screen capture.... we dont have any fancy computer PC programs to pull AWIPS images into the PC....that is the best we have.

Dan
Dan, I will find out what Mike Gibson says regarding how the model calculates it. For now it looks like there is more than 4" across parts of northern and southern N. Dakota, so the image I posted is not that far off considering there's already a few inches down. But I'm curious as well.

Is that a clipper coming down GFS is showing on Tuesday? It adds a few inches from that as well.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Dan
Here's from RalieghWx (Alan Hoffman) showing similar. 18z GFS Images

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather