Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Miami vs. Vancouver
Miami 15 57.69%
Vancouver 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 03:02 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this will simply be an even split between hot lovers vs cold lovers or if the poll will skew more heavily due to different factors

I of course choose Miami. A solid A climate where as I give Vancouver a solid D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver#Climate

Old 02-18-2017, 03:10 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
A perfect match for a winter/summer split is Miami in the winter, Vancouver (BC) in the summer. Miami would be way too hot for me in the summer, but it's nice to be swimming in the winter when Vancouver's getting rain, rain, and rain.

By contrast, Vancouver is (usually) great in the summer, with beautiful days, cool nights, and swimming in the lakes or on the beach. No bugs, and just sit out and enjoy life until 10 PM every evening. Of course, if you weren't there in the winter, you'd have to miss all that great skiing just outside the city.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:19 PM

240 posts, read 253,785 times
Neither climate is fantastic in my eyes. Vancouver's flaw is being too cool in the summer, though it's otherwise similar to Portland's climate. If it were 2-3 C warmer in summer, it'd be ideal. But even as it is, I would take it any day over Miami. Sorry, but Miami's climate is nasty. Not a single month that I would consider cool (even January is warmer than August in Seattle). In combination with the humidity, Miami must feel oppressive for the better part of the year.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:23 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
Miami... I felt amazing walking around the city in October, even tho most of people were complaining to me it felt comfortable.. I enjoyed the heavy humid air, maybe im weird :P I love the feeling in Miami when you get out of the air conditioned buildings, the door opens and the hot air hits you

Old 02-18-2017, 03:47 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Miami bitch

Old 02-18-2017, 04:16 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
Miami's winters and Vancouver's summers

No but seriously this is a tie. They're both E climates. Miami is not that bad for a tropical climate (a cooler season etc), but ultimately they are both poor. Vancouver is too wet in winter with a heavy load of cold rain and doesn't get enough summer to make it worthwhile. Had it been as dry as London it'd won this one.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:35 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post

No but seriously this is a tie. They're both E climates. Miami is not that bad for a tropical climate (a cooler season etc), but ultimately they are both poor. Vancouver is too wet in winter with a heavy load of cold rain and doesn't get enough summer to make it worthwhile. Had it been as dry as London it'd won this one.
Yeah, this. Although both are D minuses.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:37 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Vancouver. 18 years of Miami were enough for me, thank you. Its oppressive as all hell. Vancouver isn't ideal for me either, as I prefer more continental weather with dramatic seasons. I want summers hot enough to swim and barbecue and winters with snow on the ground for the majority of the season. I want spring and summer thunderstorms that come and go not constant misty drizzle which is nice as well, but I prefer a good downpour. Miami does have that but it lacks autumns or winters. The heat in Miami is dreadful, it never ends. AC must be on constantly. Shoot, its 75 here in Texas and thats still too warm for this time of year, my house is pretty stuffy with the AC off. I pay way too much in Texas's summer for cooling, I can't imagine a Miami electric bill. I have to ask my mom how that is lol.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:03 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post

True....but Vancouver has fantastic summers, better than those Airport stats would have you
believe, Vancouver airport is out on Sea Island in Richmond, not actually in the city.
Yes, rainy late fall/early winter for sure, but the rest of the year is very good.

Miami airport is just the opposite, it's "inland"....go to Miami Beach, a much better micro climate,
I still chose Vancouver as I prefer cooler temps.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,933,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Miami... I felt amazing walking around the city in October, even tho most of people were complaining to me it felt comfortable.. I enjoyed the heavy humid air, maybe im weird :P I love the feeling in Miami when you get out of the air conditioned buildings, the door opens and the hot air hits you
The problem is that at that point they had had months of that same hot weather. I don't mind Atlanta's heat but even I tire of it by late August and early September. To have it last into October would be frustrating to me.

With that said, I still prefer Miami. Winters are near perfect. Maybe could stand to be a little cooler like Orlando and points northward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather