Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
People underestimate the ocean temperatures in how hot/cold a climate can be. Take the coast of California in summer. Eureka's July high is a chilly 64F or so! That's cooler than Anchorage, two thousand km away. Whereas a few miles inland it's closer to 80F. The Persian Gulf gets extremely hot in summer, along with the Red Sea some of the highest SST's in the world, typically 32'C+, beginning to feel like a warm bath. Ever been swimming in the tropics, maybe the Caribbean? Well imagine something hotter still, with no 'coolness' whatsoever when you get into the water. Couple that with the heat of Arabia and you'll understand Dubai's oppressive heat.

Anchorage isn't anywhere close to the ocean to have the oceanic moderation that Eurekea has. Other areas further south of the alaska's mainland may be much cooler. Adak has a high of 56F in the hottest month, and its latitude is only 2 degrees north of Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Anchorage isn't anywhere close to the ocean to have the oceanic moderation that Eurekea has. Other areas further south of the alaska's mainland may be much cooler. Adak has a high of 56F in the hottest month, and its latitude is only 2 degrees north of Vancouver.
Okay well even Juneau, on the coast, has warmer January highs. Warm ocean current off the Alaskan coast, cold current off the California coast.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,893 times
Juneau isn't really on the coast. Like Haines and Skagway it is pretty far inland. Compare the climate of Sitka and the climate of Juneau or Haines. Sitka is frequently in the 40s in the winter.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
....On e thing I cant understand is how the hell is Nicosia average 37C in summer when it's on a relatively small island at 36N?

I lived at three different places on the southern and western coasts of Cyprus (total of three years, each time on the sea shore or within a few hundred yards of it), and the weather was often brutal in each town for long periods of the summer. Finally I left Cyprus for southern Portugal.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Okay well even Juneau, on the coast, has warmer January highs. Warm ocean current off the Alaskan coast, cold current off the California coast.
I meant July highs.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
People underestimate the ocean temperatures in how hot/cold a climate can be. Take the coast of California in summer. Eureka's July high is a chilly 64F or so! That's cooler than Anchorage, two thousand km away. Whereas a few miles inland it's closer to 80F. The Persian Gulf gets extremely hot in summer, along with the Red Sea some of the highest SST's in the world, typically 32'C+, beginning to feel like a warm bath. Ever been swimming in the tropics, maybe the Caribbean? Well imagine something hotter still, with no 'coolness' whatsoever when you get into the water. Couple that with the heat of Arabia and you'll understand Dubai's oppressive heat.
I think thats similar with the med sea in Europe there is less mixing with the open ocean, fuss less moderation and the fact High pressure is more or less dominate equals heat and humdity from the enclosed sea,
Cool current, warm currents and wind directions play a important part to the local climate.
For example if the gulf stream in the North Atlantic was a cold current from the arctic Europe would be much colder, the same with wind direction.
If the prevailing winds in East Asia was easterly it may resemble Europe or the Parcfic Northwest.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:17 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Oh jesus I looked at the climate stats for Nicosia that's horrid! 37C I wonder what the Record Highs are

The med sea rather not exist!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Nicosia regularly tops 40C in the summer, the record is about 46C I believe. I went to Cyprus a couple of years ago and it was about 35C, that was October too! The sea is so warm too, certainly the warmest I've experienced in the med

Old 12-15-2012, 03:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post

On e thing I cant understand is how the hell is Nicosia average 37C in summer when it's on a relatively small island at 36N?
take a look at this map of Nicosia:

35.166667,33.366667 - Google Maps

It's not right next to the sea. Tall mountains block airflow from the south and smaller one block airflow from the north, maybe even create a some type of foehn effect. Area is under a strong high pressure system in the summer keeping things hot, you don't have to go far from the coast of California to get hot temperatures in the summer and the sea is much cooler. Adjacent to the sea (look to the south of the map) is much cooler:

Paphos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And its mean daily summer temps are close to sea surface temps. Still a large difference but kinda understandable.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Yes Nicosia is an interesting micro-climate, but considering Athens it's not TOO much of a stretch. It is pretty surprising how it's as hot as Cairo in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather