Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM

777 posts, read 1,061,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I'm surprised those parts of Australia get so regularly affected by cold fronts in summer. Compare that to places which are largely further from the equator in the northern hemisphere, like Portugal or Spain. Much relatively dryer and sunnier and also hotter max temperatures with nothing like the level of variation.
That's the unfortunate consequence of not having any landmass to the south and also having the world's coldest ocean to the south allowing unimpeded travel for cold fronts. That is the ultimate cause of Melbourne's defective climate and cold summers. Sydney's summers are much better, atleast overnight lows are around 20C and a few miles inland from the coast it gets quite hot for more extended periods than Melbourne could ever dream of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times
What I thought was quite weird about the recent heat wave in Sydney was that it didn't pour down.

Usually when a heat wave like that happens the aftermath is heavy down pours and the temp goes down dramatically.

-Didn't happen.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Nothing strange about it, perfectly normal.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Nothing strange about it, perfectly normal.
Well most places on earth, the hottest day of the month is not immediately followed by the coolest day of the week.

Yesterday was much better, softer south winds and sunshine meant our temperature pushed back to 26 C/78 F. I was sweating doing yard work.

Today our forecast is 26-31 C, tomorrow is supposed to be 34 C, back to 22 C the next day () then followed by a week in the high 20's C.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-18-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
That's the unfortunate consequence of not having any landmass to the south and also having the world's coldest ocean to the south allowing unimpeded travel for cold fronts. That is the ultimate cause of Melbourne's defective climate and cold summers. Sydney's summers are much better, atleast overnight lows are around 20C and a few miles inland from the coast it gets quite hot for more extended periods than Melbourne could ever dream of.
Western Australia also has that.
Is the difference merely having a south coast at 35 S rather than 38 S?
Or is the water shallower off WA's south coast so it has less oceanic influence?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Western Australia also has that.
Is the difference merely having a south coast at 35 S rather than 38 S?
Or is the water shallower off WA's south coast so it has less oceanic influence?
The West Coast gets what they call "humid changes" during summer, that break hot spells.
The change though is nowhere near as significant as the East Coast.
It should be remembered that Perth at 31S is equivalent to about Taree on the NSW Mid North Coast - a point where NSW definitely becomes subtropical.
A lot of people think that Perth is the same latitude as Sydney, but that is not the case.
Southerly Changes become significantly weaker after Taree, by the time you get to Coffs Harbour at 30S the warm subtropical current meets the southern current, and the effect of southerlies have petered off - before they officially end at Wooli in the lower Northern Rivers.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The West Coast gets what they call "humid changes" during summer, that break hot spells.
The change though is nowhere near as significant as the East Coast.
It should be remembered that Perth at 31S is equivalent to about Taree on the NSW Mid North Coast - a point where NSW definitely becomes subtropical.
A lot of people think that Perth is the same latitude as Sydney, but that is not the case.
Southerly Changes become significantly weaker after Taree, by the time you get to Coffs Harbour at 30S the warm subtropical current meets the southern current, and the effect of southerlies have petered off - before they officially end at Wooli in the lower Northern Rivers.
Is the main difference between Newcastle and "subtropical" NSW is the intensity of the cold fronts?
Many days our weather forecasts look similar.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM

I just noticed this morning that the sun's halo must be smaller.

I noticed less "shadow unsharpness" when my shadow was 4 metres long, I extended my hand and spread my fingers, trying to find at what distance of finger separation are my fingers clearly defined. We now easily have 1/2 the unsharpness from before...

Is this a consequence of the "Winter Westerly" pattern picking up western dust (nearby coal mining?) causing winter sun to be more diffused,
but now that the strong westerly winds are gone, strong southerlies off the sea replaced them, clearing out the air
now the sun is stronger at all sun angles?

The sun definitely feels hot even at 7am with clear skies.
This I believe is because of the smaller halo/ lesser shadow-unsharpness.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:03 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
It seems summers in Australia is really unstable.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:20 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Well, we're like a desert meets the cold antarctic influenced ocean (remember, there isn't a big piece of land between southern Australia and Antarctica - so cold air can quickly reach us).

Melbourne is the worst offender btw - 45C today and 17C tomorrow.

Sydney at least drops from 40C to 23C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather