Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 04:24 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Obs from Long Island Feb 13, 2015. 9F with 32mph winds.

Remember this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
How about some humor from NWS Philly?

Mount Holly:

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

THE COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL MOVE
ACROSS THE AREA ON THURSDAY, USHERING IN BITTER COLD AIR FOR
THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY
UNFORTUNATELY...THE GRADIENT GENERATED BY THIS DEPARTING BUT
DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BRING GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS TO
OUR AREA...DRIVING WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES DOWN TO THE NEGATIVE
TEENS (AND PERHAPS BEYOND IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS UP NORTH) FOR
THURSDAY NIGHT. HIGH TEMPERATURES ON FRIDAY WILL STRUGGLE TO
EMERGE OUT OF THE SINGLE DIGITS IN THE FAR NORTH, AND WON`T GET
OUT OF THE LOW TO MID 20S IN THE SOUTH...SOME TWENTY DEGREES BELOW
NORMAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. ANOTHER COLD NIGHT IS ON TAP FOR
FRIDAY NIGHT, BUT WITH LESS WIND IT MIGHT NOT FEEL QUITE SO
COLD...AND THE HOUSE WILL BE A LITTLE EASIER TO HEAT.

ALL-IN-ALL, NOT A VERY NICE WEEK AHEAD...UNLESS YOU'RE A POLAR BEAR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 10:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
11 times out of 90 days? That's not really something I would consider often. That's 12.2% or 1 out of every 8 days roughly. Hardly something that would be considered "normal" in Philly. And I bet half the time that 15 F is calm, with no wind. 15 F is not really "extreme" by any means.

Very easy for you armchair South FL winter lovers to hope for cold weather given what you have to deal with on an annual basis. How bout you deal with Jan 2014 and Feb 2015 here. I'd love to see you people that wear winter coats with 50F deal with these temps. Take note of the wind. How bout a high temp of 21F and a low of 9F with a wind of 23 mph. And that 9F usually comes just when you walk out the door in the morning to go to work. And in winter it is windy morning or night, doesn't matter as it depends on when the front arrives. Or how bout a high of 13F and a low of 4F with an avg wind speed of 19 mph? Sound lovely to you cold lovers in Miami. What a joke. Sorry, but it is one thing to say you experienced it while on holiday or on a brief trip. Try living it for days when you have to do everyday life things in that kind of weather.

Put your money where your mouth is and move out of S. Florida and into these cold climates you dream about. Weird that I rarely meet people born and bred in Florida living in either DC, Philly or NYC. I spend a lot of times in all three cities, and you just don't meet many from your neck of the woods living in these parts.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Very easy for you armchair South FL winter lovers to hope for cold weather given what you have to deal with on an annual basis. How bout you deal with Jan 2014 and Feb 2015 here. I'd love to see you people that wear winter coats with 50F deal with these temps. Take note of the wind. How bout a high temp of 21F and a low of 9F with a wind of 23 mph. And that 9F usually comes just when you walk out the door in the morning to go to work. And in winter it is windy morning or night, doesn't matter as it depends on when the front arrives. Or how bout a high of 13F and a low of 4F with an avg wind speed of 19 mph? Sound lovely to you cold lovers in Miami. What a joke. Sorry, but it is one thing to say you experienced it while on holiday or on a brief trip. Try living it for days when you have to do everyday life things in that kind of weather.

Put your money where your mouth is and move out of S. Florida and into these cold climates you dream about. Weird that I rarely meet people born and bred in Florida living in either DC, Philly or NYC. I spend a lot of times in all three cities, and you just don't meet many from your neck of the woods living in these parts.

I don't care about what you have to say. You seem hell-bent on trying to change my preferences, ignoring the fact I haven't lived in South FL and that I've experienced those temperatures before. Nothing special and nothing to see here. Moving on.

If that's really the coldest Philly can throw at someone....than sorry to say it doesn't deserve all the hype. Even in that cold month most of your days were in the 30s and 40s. That's really nothing to write home about. I wear just a hoodie at 30 F.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:44 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if a FL native enjoyed Northeast winters.

Regarding Jan 2014 and Feb 2015, I lived through both of those and I didn't find them to be a nuisance in any way. In fact they were quite exciting compared to the usual mundanity of our mild Long Island winters. I would think that a FL native could enjoy such cold spells as well if he/she was truly bent on doing so.

So, I don't really know what you're on about. Cold enthusiasts can come from tropical climates.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a FL native enjoyed Northeast winters.

Regarding Jan 2014 and Feb 2015, I lived through both of those and I didn't find them to be a nuisance in any way. In fact they were quite exciting compared to the usual mundanity of our mild Long Island winters. I would think that a FL native could enjoy such cold spells as well if he/she was truly bent on doing so.
Thank you.

And he tries to pass it off like it was Yakutsk or something....those temperatures are nothing to write home about. I even see a day with a high of 61 F in there.

Honestly, my main gripe about winters in somewhere like Long Island or Philly is that there's no constant snow cover and too many mild spells. I'd rather it be consistently cold than swinging from 60 F to 20 F and back to 50 F, etc.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
This is accurate. The way I see it (in terms of eastern US):

South Florida: This climate is warm to hot year round. Cold snaps are rare. This area is tropical.

Central Florida: This climate is much more vulnerable to cold snaps than south Florida. Tropical vegetation (such as coconuts) can only be grown with human intervention. This area is semi-tropical.

US Coastal South and North Florida: The region with the heaviest climate debate on city-data. Tropical vegetation cannot grow here, even with human intervention (sorry Yn0hTnA). Only hardier subtropical vegetation, such as cabbage palms and southern live oak can grow here due to the numerous freezes the region can see over the cooler season. In addition, deciduous vegetation, such as American Sweetgum and Bradford Pear trees thrive here, giving it genuine autumns and springs. This area is subtropical.

Inland South (N Alabama, N Georgia, Central N and S Carolina): Has a 50% or greater chance of seeing a winter storm over the course of a year, giving this area genuine winters. Even subtropical vegetation has trouble growing here and can only do so with human intervention. This area is warm temperate.

Here are some interesting photos showing the difference between a place like Beaufort, SC in the coastal region vs Columbia in the interior region in the middle of winter.

Columbia Feb 2015

https://www.flickr.com/photos/401615...29633691/page2

You can see deciduous trees scattered about in Columbia's downtown in winter and grass not very green.

Jan 2015 http://contractconstruction.net/file...dbreak-web.jpg

See the people wearing winter coats and scarves. Some evergreen and deciduous mixed in.

They do seem to be able to grow some cold hardy subtropicals like Washingtonia palms which have lots of filifera in them otherwise they would be brown in this climate.

Livistona are from China and are more cold hardy palms.

This looks like pure Washingtonia Filifera which can take cold.

You can see browned out vegetation and deciduous trees in the middle of winter in Columbia, SC.

Contrast that with the same winter in Beaufort, SC which is 12.5 miles from the coast.

I think there is a different winter look to Beaufort than there is to Columbia. Beaufort looks milder than Columbia. More green in Beaufort. Columbia looks more winter hardened and colder.

Based on just photos alone from the same winter, Beaufort is more subtropical or warm temperate and Columbia is more continental climate (though vastly different than Winnipeg or anywhere in Canada or Upper Midwest).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetm...57648490669753

Beaufort, SC Jan 29 2015

Last edited by tom77falcons; 08-05-2015 at 11:54 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Thank you.

And he tries to pass it off like it was Yakutsk or something....those temperatures are nothing to write home about. I even see a day with a high of 61 F in there.

Honestly, my main gripe about winters in somewhere like Long Island or Philly is that there's no constant snow cover and too many mild spells. I'd rather it be consistently cold than swinging from 60 F to 20 F and back to 50 F, etc.

I never tried to pass it off as somewhere in Russia lol. Where have you lived other than Florida for more than one winter? Northern GA is no where near as cold as here. But I guess you choose to look at climate data different than me. When I look at those temps from months ago, I remember exactly what they felt like. You do not. You weren't here. You were basking in a 75F winter day. And 1 single day was above 50F (51F to be exact) in Feb 2015 vs 14 days that didn't get above 32F.

I do hope you find someplace cold with a good job to enjoy your climate preferences. Maybe you really would like somewhere like Chicago. Not me. I don't like hyper continental climates. I don't mind my climate here when it is average or at least close to average. What I would really like is a 10 year period of winters that were very stable. That has never happened and will never happen I guess. That is where I consider Europe very lucky. They get much more stable winter temps than we do. For every one extreme winter they have, I would estimate we have three to five.

I don't like extreme winters here. And that 61F temp and 51F temp only made things worse as they cause havoc with your body thermostat.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I don't see why someone from Florida can't want cold winters. That's like telling me that I can't want warm winters, because true warmth (65F+) is only fleeting in my climate during the winter, much like true cold in FL. It makes no sense, I know exactly what I want lol, even if I haven't experienced a lot of it.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Beaufort, SC looks really pretty in those photos, didn't realize it could be so green midwinter.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't see why someone from Florida can't want cold winters. That's like telling me that I can't want warm winters, because true warmth (65F+) is only fleeting in my climate during the winter, much like true cold in FL. It makes no sense, I know exactly what I want lol, even if I haven't experienced enough of it.

True winter warmth is only fleeting in our climate. Real cold is not. Real cold is not even fleeting in Miami or S. FL. It just doesn't happen there, unless you consider a day with a low of 30F and a high temp in the 50'sF "real cold". I don't.

Sure they can want cold in their climate. There is a reason FL is as crowded and densely populated as it is. And it is because millions of people wanted to get away from cold. I don't see millions moving here from FL to enjoy our winters.

Seems so strange to me sometimes just how cold dominated this forum is. I have never met in my social life here in Philadelphia so many people that crave bitterly cold weather and wish for it. I need to find another forum for people that dislike anomalously cold weather. Anyone know of one?

In winter I can barely stand coming onto this forum with all the cheering and over-hype the cold lovers put on. And even more strange is how many of these cold lovers on here live in the South. It just makes me think, and I'm entitled to my opinion, that they are cold lovers cause they don't have to deal with it each and every year for months. Even in Atlanta the cold is more fleeting than not.

We need a subforum for people that actually prefer mild or average weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather