Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 07:24 PM

633 posts, read 661,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I saw many trunked Livistona in Mobile AL, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, etc just this past February. They are far hardier than Queens. The Queens took a huge hit in Mobile, but the Livistona did not.
i don't doubt it, as i said my doubts are outside of or beyond Savannah/Charleston.

but their foliage browns just as easily as the Queen palm... and no they are definitely not "far hardier" than Queens. about as hardy, maybe slighter more hardy, but i doubt they can withstand much more than a few degrees colder than the Queen. 15-20°F can greatly damage them, and Central SC sees that almost every year.

an interesting read on the palm here:
The Chinese fan palm, Livistona chinensis

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I know a few people that grow L. Chinensis as a grow back plant. The roots are hardy but the foliage usually fries during the winter. I suppose the difference is the Syagrus will die and is not as root hardy as a L. Chinensis. There was a house in an upscale neighborhood in the suburbs that had 2 Syagrus'. They died in the '14 winter even with christmas lights. Not sure how long they were there before that, though.
interesting. i didn't know that. makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 07:46 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
same here. The interest in weather for me is more from rainstorms or cloud patterns rather than temperatures. I'm not that interested interested in less comfortable temperatures.

As for knowing people who like cold, I know some here that cheer cold weather. None of them were happy with this cold February, it was too much and just gets in the way. Spending long periods of time below 5-10°F means wrapping yourself in lots of layers and care to not have much skin exposed. Besides novelty, I find hard to understand the interest in such cold.
+1, my interest is about rainfall amounts/pattern and cloud patterns, i noticed the difference in dominant cloud types between 2011 (rainy) and 2014/15 (dry/smoggy) and relation to UK/NE us winters

Old 08-07-2015, 07:46 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Are Livistona australis grown in the Southeast anywhere? They seem pretty hardy, and are easy to grow.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
+1, my interest is about rainfall amounts/pattern and cloud patterns, i noticed the difference in dominant cloud types between 2011 (rainy) and 2014/15 (dry/smoggy) and relation to UK/NE us winters
what was the relation?

Old 08-07-2015, 07:55 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,275,292 times
Quote:
what was the relation?
I assume he's talking about ENSO.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I know a few people that grow L. Chinensis as a grow back plant. The roots are hardy but the foliage usually fries during the winter. I suppose the difference is the Syagrus will die and is not as root hardy as a L. Chinensis. There was a house in an upscale neighborhood in the suburbs that had 2 Syagrus'. They died in the '14 winter even with christmas lights. Not sure how long they were there before that, though.

Thats amazing. Like I said, there are a few of us with L. Chinensis, but crazy that there is a trunking specimen. Did you take these pictures Tom? Where exactly was this L. Chinensis located?

I actually drove past the filibusta near the zoo today. It's doing fine. I've actually harvested seeds from the tree and have a couple dozen seedlings growing in my backyard in pots.

Dwayne from the other forum took the pics. He said this on that link:

"If not, Columbia,SC would be a perfect location for a cold hardy palm garden. Most of the hardy palms grow to near perfection there...you might even get away with planting some of the hardier Phoenix species with proper siting. Here are some pics in and around Columbia. "

Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
i don't doubt it, as i said my doubts are outside of or beyond Savannah/Charleston.

but their foliage browns just as easily as the Queen palm... and no they are definitely not "far hardier" than Queens. about as hardy, maybe slighter more hardy, but i doubt they can withstand much more than a few degrees colder than the Queen. 15-20°F can greatly damage them, and Central SC sees that almost every year.

an interesting read on the palm here:
The Chinese fan palm, Livistona chinensis

interesting. i didn't know that. makes sense.

Well as I said the Queens were dead or badly damaged this past Feb when I saw them in Mobile, the Livistona were not damaged at all or maybe slightly with some burn on the fronds. Damage though was no where near what the Queens had. Queen palms don't do well at all below 25F, Livistona doesn't do well below 20F, but will survive down to 15F-17F and come back.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:07 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,654,775 times
Quote:
what was the relation?
It's related to El Nino

Old 08-09-2015, 11:41 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There were around 20 30C+ days where I was last summer, so 30C isn't unusual. West coast climates like mine and Auckland's are sea breeze climates, so 30C is hard to achieve as a temperature, even though there is rapid heating.
Nowhere in England will get anywhere 20, 30C days. In fact, I doubt it's ever happened in this country.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:48 AM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Are Livistona australis grown in the Southeast anywhere? They seem pretty hardy, and are easy to grow.
There was a mature Livistona australis growing on Tresco, Scilly Isles, but I think it was killed during the record breaking cold winter in 1987 (along with mature Rhopalostylis sapida & Archontophoenix cunninghamiana)...

I have one growing in my Southsea garden, not that big, but it wasn't fazed by the recent cold winters & wasn't protected either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather