Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,027,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Nice. A mean of 6.7C in the coldest month. No wonder you can grow palm trees. Mostly comfortable and quite warm, actually.

I saw that Portsmouth, York, Freiburg and Paris all had March warmer than April. How common is that? Or that October is warmer than September or May than June?

Great stats/pics everyone. I have to wait for my stats until mid-January...
It isn't very common for March to be warmer than April! 2012 was a very strange year weatherwise in the UK, started with a drought & water restrictions across a huge chunk of the country, then the heavens opened & didn't stop, leading to the wettest year on record with numerous floods throughout the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I'm not sure? Possibly because Portsmouth is very densely populated, it's even more densely populated than London, so I imagine it's an urban heat effect. Portsmouth is also situated on its own island, so that may have something to do with it?
Yeah I guess that plays a part. The weather station here is about 10 minutes out of town, although I wouldn't think there would be any difference between the two. If anything, the frosts are usually heavier in town.

I was thinking that there might be more colder overnight lows here. This December for example, saw 8 nights with temps between 3C-8C, even this morning was 7C here. Those days will still typically reach the low to mid 20'sC.

How does that compare to Portsmouth?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Wow, look at how ridiculous February-June looks sun-wise! The average March high being 4.4C higher than the average April high looks really odd too - bet that doesn't happen too often! (How do you work out the mean? Using (high+low/2) would give an April mean of 5.9, not 6.5.)
Also, that was merely a typo. My bad, just noticed it.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Nice. A mean of 6.7C in the coldest month. No wonder you can grow palm trees. Mostly comfortable and quite warm, actually.

I saw that Portsmouth, York, Freiburg and Paris all had March warmer than April. How common is that? Or that October is warmer than September or May than June?

Great stats/pics everyone. I have to wait for my stats until mid-January...
According to the Central England Temperature (the average of three sites in different parts of England) March has been warmer than April seven times since 1950 (I'm too lazy to look through more of the record!), but it's usually by fractions. There's never been a sunny, really warm and dry March followed by a cool, dull and wet April to the extent that happened last year before. The oddest thing that's happened recently in terms of seasons being mixed up was October 1974 being colder than December 1974, though if you go further back the two coldest months of the 1795/1796 winter were November and March - a really bizarre sequence of freak weather:

October 1795: 11.7C (then-warmest on record [records began in 1659])
November 1795: 4.5C (far lower than anything we'd expect now)
December 1795: 6.6C (then-second warmest on record, mild even by modern standards)
January 1796: 7.3C (then-warmest on record, record only beaten once since and then only by 0.2C)
February 1796: 4.7C (normal)
March 1796: 4.2C (far lower than what we'd expect now)
April 1796: 10.2C (then-warmest on record)

Last edited by ben86; 01-02-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
Sunshine Hours 2012 in the whole country

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by marlaver; 01-02-2013 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I guess if felt more damp/mossy/ moldy than dull.

It will be interesting to see how Fakertane compares to Tauranga.
Still awaiting the manual data from Nelson Aero - it takes longer for the manual site data to get to the CliFLo database. Blenheim EWS value for 31 Dec is not there yet, hope it is not missing. Tauranga value will probably not be available for a week or two, but will be way over 200 hours behind the Faker.

Provisional totals for the top few values:

Whaka/Fakertane 2601.9
Nelson Aero (est) 2583
Tekapo 2561.6
Appleby 2529.9
Blenheim (est) 2444

Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Here's my year:

March was well above average, ditto with February though it wasn't as extreme. While unlike the UK, April was still warmer than March (harder here with the greater seasonal differences) the April low was nearly the same as the March low. The summer months particularly July, look remarkably stable temperature-wise as is usual — monthly record isn't too far from the average.

Thershold to count as a precipitation day is 0.1 inch (2.5 mm). Is that what others use?

Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's my year:

March was well above average, ditto with February though it wasn't as extreme. While unlike the UK, April was still warmer than March (harder here with the greater seasonal differences) the April low was nearly the same as the March low. The summer months particularly July, look remarkably stable temperature-wise as is usual — monthly record isn't too far from the average.

Thershold to count as a precipitation day is 0.1 inch (2.5 mm). Is that what others use?
I use 0.3mm. In our climate it can drizzle for hours or have multiple light showers throughout the day, giving the effect of definitely being a wet day, and still get considerably less than 2.5mm.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's my year:

For NZ climates I consider 1.0mm to be a good value. Using lower thresholds doesn't show as much discrimination between the less rainy and more rainy climates, in my opinion.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
I use 1mm (0.04in) as well. That way most days with precipitation will count, but some 5 minutes of rain collecting 0.1mm won't count as a "rainy day".

Neat year in Amherst temperature-wise. Nice rise in lows in April-May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather