Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You can exercise in the heat in shorts/t-shirt (much prefer my body to not be restricted by clothing) and then cool off in A/C when you're done, it feels great when you're done exercising and then cooling off in A/C.

If you exercise in the cold in a coat and then you go inside, it is hotter and even if you take off the coat you are hot for a while.

I don't know, it just seems more comfortable to want to cool down after a run than to warm up.

I'm not much for fashion, I know that living in a warm climate means my clothing bill is far lower than people in northern climates. I love sitting outside on a warm summer night, drinking beer, laughing with friends, and just enjoying things. I just never saw people doing that in the arctic winter when I lived up north. Sometimes you see that in ski resorts, but they ALWAYS have those portable heaters cranking away, which signifies that the regular temp is not comfortable, it needs to be warmed...
I find it's easier to exercise in cool (though not necessarily cold) weather. When it's 90F and humid, you can't really go for a run - you are risking heatstroke and exhaustion. 50F-60F - great temperature for a run. If you feel hot after a run, you can take a few minutes to cool down outside before you go in. Also it isn't like it's 80F inside.

Don't get me wrong, I love warm weather. I just think your examples of why cold weather is bad (exercising, being too warm in layers) aren't the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
I buy a lot of clothes and I'd probably do so regardless of where I live - I enjoy looking good, so sue me.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Well, when I exercise in hot weather I feel miserable after about 60 seconds of exertion, and I then have to lay down in bed with two cold packs, a fan, and A/C on full blast for 5 minutes to feel normal again. That's why I never exercise in hot weather, or even warm weather for that matter. I've found that I'm uncomfortable exercising outside if it's above 50F or so. Even when it's 50F I get plenty hot enough from physical exertion. For heavy exercise 45F is about the optimum, but down to 20F there isn't that much of a difference in comfort if the sun is shining. I don't need anything beyond shorts and short sleeves while exercising as long as it's above freezing (assuming dry/calm weather, of course), and down to 15F the layering requirements aren't extensive.

As for not seeing anyone drinking beers outside in cold weather, I would submit that like volleyball, catch, and soccer, that is part of the summer set of activities, and thus it's awkward to do in the cold and snow. Winter has its own set of activities. How many people do you see making snowmen in the summer months? There are a variety of activities native to both seasons .

Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM

768 posts, read 879,682 times
You werent walking fast enough. I went outside the pub for a cigarette when it was -12c or so back in february and was freezing to death within a minute or so, as I was just standing around. Went I walked to and home from the pub I was fine because i was briskly walking.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,411,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post

Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I buy a lot of clothes and I'd probably do so regardless of where I live - I enjoy looking good, so sue me.
Who are you talking to? Who's threatening to sue you?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Who's threatening to sue you?

Everyone?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Hot dayum. It's a bit like everybody winning the lottery. If they all sue you, they won't get much each, not worth it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Hoodies bleh those are for chavs and the grim reaper.
I like hoodies. So comfy. I often wear them when it's under 30 C.

Useful for sun protection too when the air temperature is cool or a little warm.
I don't wear the hood but bunch up the hood around the base of my neck too sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather