U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,190,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Real estate seems to be unusually cheap in Missouri - does anyone know why that is?

Even property taxes seem very reasonable. I know there isn't a surplus of jobs there, but we're looking for a place to retire so that doesn't matter. Missouri definately interests me. Any opinions?
Tornados?

Anywhere from about St. Louis and south would probably average 18" of snow or less. I heard K.C. averages like 20-22 inches. Still pretty light compared to where I live. (49 inches ) I also like how spring and summer warmth as well as annual sunshine seem to be more consistant there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,190,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
One thing about Tennessee is many people living there seem to like it but most outsiders frown upon it for being backwards, woodsy, etc, etc.
I know to many people it's a negative, or at least unimpressive, but I enjoyed it's "backwards, woodsy" feel on my travels through east TN.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM

22,231 posts, read 38,792,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Tornados?

Anywhere from about St. Louis and south would probably average 18" of snow or less. I heard K.C. averages like 20-22 inches. Still pretty light compared to where I live. (49 inches ) I also like how spring and summer warmth as well as annual sunshine seem to be more consistant there.
Yes, Kansas City has way to many sunny days in my opinion. You might think a lot of sunny days are good, but in the late spring, summer, and early fall it is very bad. The sun literally bakes all of the moisture out of the ground and often leads to drought concerns. Also, the sun angle is quite intense in the summer because the latitude is not very high. 20-22 inches of snow is also on the high side because global warming has led to much less in the way of snow. Yes, I am still moving to NH but the real estate market is still quite bad. It is not like I have to move right away, but the market is troubling right now.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Those very reasons are reasons I would like it there, but I have a prejudice against the state because an ex lives there. Really don't want to be in the same hemisphere as him, let alone the same state.

Real estate seems to be unusually cheap in Missouri - does anyone know why that is? Even property taxes seem very reasonable. I know there isn't a surplus of jobs there, but we're looking for a place to retire so that doesn't matter. Missouri definately interests me. Any opinions?
If you want a town that is smaller in population but has a Midwest flavor I would look into Kirksville, MO. This is a college town in northern Missouri that is home to Truman State University. The population is about 20,000. Housing is affordable there, and the winter is quite mild compared with the UP of Michigan. Expect high temperatures mostly in the 30s in the winter with 15-20 inches of snow if it is a good year. The landscape is rolling with some hills and trees. Summer temperatures are mainly in the 80s with a good amount of humidity. The job market there might be an issue because it is a college town. Another idea would be St. Joseph, MO. This is a Missouri River town that is not very far away from the Kansas City metro area. St. Joseph is a bigger town with around 80,000 people, but with many rural areas as well.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 3,909,536 times
Another area to check out in Missouri may be the Springfield area. It's technically in the Midwest and a rough guess would be they average maybe 12-14 inches of snow a year. Keep in mind though you may get a more southern feel there.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 AM

3,126 posts, read 7,768,663 times
Quote:
We're thinking about our retirement within the next few years, and would like to know just how far south we would have to go to get into more moderate winters. We would like a four-season location, unlike Arizona or Florida, but having lived in a snow zone most of our lives it would be lovely to retire to place with only a few inches of snow in the winter. We want to stay in the Midwest - how far south would we have to go to find mild winters (less than 1 foot of snow annually)?
You pretty much summed up Raleigh right there. We have 4 seasons, with mild winters and usually only get a few inches of snow. Of course you want to stay in the midwest...

Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Another area to check out in Missouri may be the Springfield area. It's technically in the Midwest and a rough guess would be they average maybe 12-14 inches of snow a year. Keep in mind though you may get a more southern feel there.
Springfield can either be classified as the lower Midwest or the upper South. If it is in the Midwest the southern and Ozark influences are pretty strong. Also, Springfield is occasionally in the zone for heavy snowstorms in the winter. SW Missouri tends to get more snowfall than one might expect.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM

3,338 posts, read 9,982,281 times
What about Cinci......i'm not sure how much snow they get, but i know it's less than cleveland and columbus.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:39 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,268,649 times
If you want to stay in the midwest ...your best bets would be extreme southern Illinois...around the Cairo area ....also southern Missouri...Springfield...Joplin...or Branson ....Evansville, Indiana could be an option a well ...all these areas have average January high temps in the 40's in January and not much snow ...less than 18 inches...

Old 10-23-2007, 07:40 PM

417 posts, read 1,032,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
If you want to stay in the midwest ...your best bets would be extreme southern Illinois...around the Cairo area ....also southern Missouri...Springfield...Joplin...or Branson ....Evansville, Indiana could be an option a well ...all these areas have average January high temps in the 40's in January and not much snow ...less than 18 inches...
I never even considered Illinois - I'll look into it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather