Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well im not thick it shows snow in the atlantic.
Not in the Mid Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:45 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Just in case you guys didnt see it in the other thread...

May 1999 tornado in same town had the unoffical highest winds on earth surface of 318mph. This one could be upwards of 250mph. Strange it happened in same spot?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 AM

For those that look at radars often....when ever you see a ball like this on radar, its pretty much gauranteed a strong Tornado is or was on the ground.

Thats probably the most gut wrenching thing to see on radar. It's picking up piles of debris in the air.

I've been seeing these images past couple yrs after learning about it. Always hate to see it.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM

This is a screen shot I took when Massachusettes got hit with a Tornado in June 2011. Debris ball after Springfield hit

Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
GFS Mean Temp anomaly next 10 days for Europe.
Yes, please.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:05 AM

One can make a good argument that the period of warming after the 70s led to less stronger Tornadoes; and the cooler times of the 60s/70s had more..

If you know how Tornadoes happen, you know you need a stronger & colder mid to upper level troughs to get involved in the areas of warmth.

We could be on that pattern swing again now..

Temps were in the 80s/90s yesterday in the Tornado areas, so it was normal nothing extreme.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
But didn't the last few years seem unusually high in tornado destructiveness?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Exactly.

What I also thought about was that it beat the record total that was for the entire month in just 36hrs.

I have seen historic snowstorms since November starting with my area. Actually since October starting with Sandy dropping 3 feet in WV. Seemed like every snowstorm had history with it past 8 months.
Yes, there have been many more historic snows than is typical for one season.

Quote:
Remember Texas in December? Wish I had help listing them all.
Well, everything is bigger in Texas, even snowfall. When we can reasonably say the season is over for most of the continent, say around Memorial Day, I might look back and compile a list and description of the significant snows of 2012-13. I can guarantee you that such a list would be pretty eye-popping.

Quote:
Temp departures for May so far.

Below normal from North to south to southeast. and Mid Atlantic
Above normal in the West, Ohio Valley and New England.
Hmm...it looks like more cold than warm, but at the same time it's nothing notable. I find it curious that the Great Lakes are in a patch of warmer than normal temperatures for May 1-19, just like they were in the first week of the month.

Quote:
Ahhh, the joys of summer here.

329 PM EDT MON MAY 20 2013
...AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TUESDAY UNTIL 10 PM TUESDAY...
I assume that means code orange? That kind of air quality is horrendous, unsuitable for going outside and enjoying it. Unfortunately, poor air quality is linked to hot weather in most of the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
it's not spring it's summer...
It's definitely summer where you live, but not in most of the continent. The onset of summer weather varies depending on where you are.

Quote:
Just meant This thread is for all of May plus summer technically not till June 21st. Anything pertaining May should stay in here but these rules are not enforced so its up to you. I Just like to look back on records and know where to find something.
I encourage those who are experiencing a summery weather pattern to transition over to the summer thread. Miamihurricane can start posting in the summer thread in May, and someone in Newfoundland could post about the June snowfall in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I usually think tornadoes are cool, but this is just getting plain sad.
Indeed. I use a "love the sinner, hate the sin" approach to tornadoes - the tornadoes themselves are awesome, but the death and destruction is awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Why do people live in areas like that? I just dont understand it. They know thatt its going to happen and they know that hurricanes etc are going happen yet they still live there.
If you take the area flattened by tornadoes since 1850, you would find that it comprises a tiny fraction of the area of tornado alley. A given area can go centuries without being flattened, but occasionally an area gets flattened twice in 15 years, like Moore in 1999 and 2013. Hurricanes are more problematic, since they impact a much wider area than a tornado, and they come with storm surge, which is a huge problem for these huge beachfront towers we've foolishly built.

Quote:
Widespread 30s coming up for PA, northeast NJ, northwards. Cold Friday and Saturday night. GFS left. Euro right.
Great. There could be some frosted rooftops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But didn't the last few years seem unusually high in tornado destructiveness?
Yes, especially during the age of tornado warnings and so forth. 2011 had some of the highest death tolls since the 1920's, when there weren't any modern systems of detection and warning.

Tornadoes rely on temperature contrast and wind shear; cold upper levels and stronger storm systems help produce them, assuming that the low-level heat is present. That's why you see tornadoes in the mid latitudes as opposed to the tropics - tornadoes are not a phenomenon driven by heat alone. Case in point: 2012 was the hottest Spring on record in a good chunk of the country, but it was an inactive year, whereas the much cooler Spring of 2011 was very active. Conversely, the Spring of 2013 was the coldest of the three and was very inactive, at least until now; it seemed that instead of tornadoes we got snow . Cooling would seem to produce more favorable conditions for tornadoes in the U.S., but too much cooling would render it too cold for tornadoes to form. Perhaps the 1970's presented a favorable intensity of cooling? At any rate, there is a large amount of annual variation regardless of the general trend, and as we see in this so-far inactive season, it only takes one strong tornado to cause big-time destruction.

As for Cambium's chart, it does present some useful data, but I always think the data would be much more useful if we had 1000 years of modern records to look over. We would have a much better understanding of cycles of climate change than we do now with just one cooling period and one warming period to look at.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not in the Mid Atlantic.
Yes.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
An interesting idea. I would love to have 1000 years worth of reliable records for here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather