Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I wanted a tree to filter the morning sun on hot days from an east facing window,
but later this summer it has been consistently cooler, combined with a later sunrise in late summer
I think I am much happier with no shade, or perhaps a retractable shade to use on hotter days.

Example:

The other morning was 23 C (73-74 F) with 88% humidity at my backyard weather station
it was brilliantly, blindingly sunny and on my weather station control panel, inside it was 28 C with maybe 60-65% humidity.
I went over to the sunny window, sat in the sunshine and it felt nice.
I was also appreciating that the sun was heating up the house,
and more importantly lowering the humidity in my house.

At first I thought I'd want a deciduous tree for shade,
but with our annual average high of only 23 C and an annual average low of 12 C (54 F)
and our conditions are mild enough deciduous trees can be fully-foliated 7-8 months a year
I decided even a deciduous tree would be unsuitable.

So I've found I'd rather only have shade for my house during max temperatures of 25+ C/ 77+ F (pretty hard to do with plants )...

Except on the west side of my house, where the afternoon sun hits.
The time the sun hits there is when the shade temperature is near its daytime peak,
rather than my east facing window where it's always 5+ C cooler than the daytime peak when the sun is shining.

I thought either this could be an interesting discussion,
or even just amusing to other posters that I would dislike shade in temperatures probably 90% of people would like shade.

Have you thought about what conditions are cool enough you don't want shade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
For me, I think I like shade when it is above 30C (86F). After that point, I find there is enough infrared radiation from the sun to heat shade temps to comfortable levels.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
I don't like shade at all tbh. Sun is not even that strong in Winnipeg in in the summer so it doesn't make a difference for me.

Was out last July sitting in the sun on a 34c day with 22c dewpoint and I loved it..

Florida in June is a different story.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:13 PM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times
A cold Antipodean Canadian !

(I was wondering which part of Canada suffered 23'C in February. )

From what you say, you've got 2 problems:

1. Heating by Insolation.
2. High Humidity.

I lived in Mississippi for a while. - It gets sunny there in summer and it's been known to be humid, too.

I planted honeysuckle on the west-facing walls of my house (and put up climbing frames to give it something to hang on to.)

The honeysuckle blocked the sun from shining directly onto the brickwork - which reduced the amount of heat which got into the house through the walls.

The honeysuckle drew water from the ground (stopped damp in the foundations and I added water when necessary) and sweated that water out through its leaves (to keep the plant cool.) That meant a (slightly) cooler region around the leaves (and the brickwork behind them) which again reduced the flow of heat into the house.

It reduced my summer air conditioning bill significantly.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:41 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
I would like my house to be shaded at all times of the year and in all temperature conditions. Even 40F with sunshine can feel very balmy (though never uncomfortable) under the right circumstances.

In response to the topical question, I find the value of shade diminishes once 70F is breached, and doesn't provide significant relief after 85F is breached. In high humidity conditions 75F is the point where it becomes completely useless (i.e. I'm still drenched in sweat). In low humidity conditions, shade always makes a difference, but above 85F it still feels really hot even in the shade.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
In this climate I prefer to be in the shade once it gets above 28C / 82F, with the generally clear skies and high sun angle during summer even relatively mild temperatures feel much hotter in direct sunshine. Doesn't really bother me being shade at any time of year though, however in summer it is necessary especially when outside as I can get sunburnt in about 20 minutes without protection.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
That situation never arises in the UK. Never.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I think it really depends on the feel of the sun rather than the temperature. One thing I've noticed over the years, is that during winter, at lunchtime about half the people (where I'm working )will still seek shade on sunny days and on particularly bright days, most people will seek shade.

I wouldn't have a shade tree around the house, as rats use them to get into the house.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times
Low 60s F is where shorts sleeves feel really comfy in the direct sun only but need a sweatshirt in the shade.
70-75 F is perfect short sleeve weather in the sun or shade.
75 F plus feels more comfortable in the shade than in the sun.
80 F plus means actively seek shade unless you're in the water.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Below 65 sun needs to be sought at all times, whether at football games, while walking down the street, etc...
From 65 to 72 sun is more comfortable than shade
From 73 to 82 both are comfortable
From 83 to 88 sun is warm and shade is comfortable
From 88 to 94 sun is hot and shade is warm
From 95 and above shade must be sought out at all times, whether for baseball games, walking down the street, etc...

except for swimming... For swimming sun must be sought out up to around 105. From 105 on you can effectively dry out in the shade and once dry you heat up quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather