Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better for you?
St. Petersburg, Russia 19 32.76%
St. Petersburg, Florida 39 67.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 01:51 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,172,756 times

Advertisements

The Florida one is much, much, more to my liking.
The Russian one is utter garbage and I'd get drunk all year if I lived there too.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 12-28-2014 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:58 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,036 times
Both are bad, of course (Florida is too hot and Russia is too cold). I have to think about this.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:57 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
One is too hot and the other is too cold. Hard one.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,676,036 times
I think Russia is for me. I mean, not every winter day is cold in Saint Petersburg of Russia, there are some days above freezing in the winter. While in Saint Petersburg of Florida, EVERY DAY in the summer is very hot.

Saint Petersburg of Russia is more comfortable to me, I think.

Compare:
Saint Petersburg, Russia, January 2014: the first 10 days are not so bad, I can enjoy the outside air. That's almost 1/3 of the month.

Saint Petersburg, Florida, July 2014: now tell me, which days I can go outside?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:30 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,693 times
St. Petersburg, Russia, is not that cold in winter for such high latitude. I thought it was much colder in winter. It's not much colder in winter than Kharkiv, especially considering 10° difference in latitude.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Guess it comes down to what you prefer,a climate with 4 seasons or a climate like Florida thats basically a sauna bath for 8 months a year. i can deal with the 4 seasons much better than constant heat..

Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I think Russia is for me. I mean, not every winter day is cold in Saint Petersburg of Russia, there are some days above freezing in the winter. While in Saint Petersburg of Florida, EVERY DAY in the summer is very hot.

Saint Petersburg of Russia is more comfortable to me, I think.

Compare:
Saint Petersburg, Russia, January 2014: the first 10 days are not so bad, I can enjoy the outside air. That's almost 1/3 of the month.

Saint Petersburg, Florida, July 2014: now tell me, which days I can go outside?

The Russian one is overcast with snow most of the days and the few sunny days have temperatures way to frigid to even enjoy being outside and the sun angle is extremely low with very short daylight hours. I would imagine the wind chill would make it even more miserable.

The Florida one might get very hot at one point in the afternoon but then mother nature puts on a spectacular light show with a downpour to cool it down to more tolerable levels. After the downpour is done, the sun comes back out and it's a little cooler than before the rain, but still hot enough for a dip in the ocean or the pool. Winters have some crisp days and some beach days but mostly very pleasant outdoor temperatures with little rain and around 20 C most of the time in the afternoons. The odd cold snap adds a bit of variety and it has even snowed there before.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:13 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
The Russian one is overcast with snow most of the days and the few sunny days have temperatures way to frigid to even enjoy being outside and the sun angle is extremely low with very short daylight hours. I would imagine the wind chill would make it even more miserable.
During November trough January you feel no warmth from the sun as the angle is too low, and it's constantly overcast anyway. You're right there, but at least sunshine gives you mental comfort when you see it. In general St. Pete's winters resembles the ones in Chicago. Windchill is a minor factor, as the city is is deep in a bay. A -2C feels maybe like -4C on a normal day. Really frigid temps like -25C occur maybe once or twice a year.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
During November trough January you feel no warmth from the sun as the angle is too low, and it's constantly overcast anyway. You're right there, but at least sunshine gives you mental comfort when you see it. In general St. Pete's winters resembles the ones in Chicago. Windchill is a minor factor, as the city is is deep in a bay. A -2C feels maybe like -4C on a normal day. Really frigid temps like -25C occur maybe once or twice a year.
But Chicago's winter has a much higher sun angle in winter, higher percentage of sunny days, and some days that actually climb above freezing in the sun too. That would make the winter a lot more bearable (but still miserable for me) than this Russian monstrosity.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,426,304 times
The Russian one, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather