Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. We live in one of more the more cloudy areas of the country, yet we still get 2000+ hours and you hear endless whining from PA and NJ residents. Hell Harrisburg has more clear days in a year than Puerto Rico does in a decade and people here say Harrisburg is cloudy
I don't often hear people complaining about cloudy weather as long as it's dry. Usually complaints are more related to temperatures, snow, and rain. Maybe there's enough of an even distribution for it to not be much of an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If I lived there, going from my personal perspective, assuming the Wiki table is right then I'd classify Christchurch as "really sunny", where it hardly ever rains (though the 85 days is for 1mm+, I'd want to know 0.25mm+ before making a true judgement), and the winters scrape into 'non-winter' territory with their 100+ sun hours in every month, average high above 10C and earliest sunset a mere 16:59. It's only the sudden cold changes when it's meant to be warm that would put me off.
It gets at least 51% of possible, and new stations in the region indicated a slightly higher average (+50 hours say) than the 2140. Either way, somewhat above the average for NZ populated zones. No month gets less than about 47% of the possible sun. CNZ gives it a bad rap because it's not nearly warm enough for his tastes. There are no published normals for rainday frequency at the 0.2mm level, I would have to do a calculation from daily stats.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If I lived there, going from my personal perspective, assuming the Wiki table is right then I'd classify Christchurch as "really sunny", where it hardly ever rains (though the 85 days is for 1mm+, I'd want to know 0.25mm+ before making a true judgement), and the winters scrape into 'non-winter' territory with their 100+ sun hours in every month, average high above 10C and earliest sunset a mere 16:59. It's only the sudden cold changes when it's meant to be warm that would put me off.
Certainly it's not the worst. Given a choice between the broadly similar climates of London, Paris, Seattle and Christchurch I'd pick the latter.

Actually, we've just had over a week of days without sun. Could well be a record low sunshine total for the month. What do you think, RWood?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Certainly it's not the worst. Given a choice between the broadly similar climates of London, Paris, Seattle and Christchurch I'd pick the latter.

Actually, we've just had over a week of days without sun. Could well be a record low sunshine total for the month. What do you think, RWood?
Yes, the central zones from mid-Canty (at least) on the southern edge to Horowhenua and Wairarapa as a northern boundary are in a really drab spell at the moment, the longest one for years here I would guess. Watch this space re potential records ... April 1986 (when you had 223 hours and we had 202) is hard to imagine at present.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
Lucky. I forgot what a goddamn thunderstorm is.

A June-like 17C tomorrow with showers and NOT ONE day above 20C in the 7 day forecast. WINTER HAS ARRIVED

On a more positive note, Perfffffffffffffffffff's highs are forecast to be only 20-23C for the most part with showers every day. About time they get something other than summer.

I'm off to drink beer and play doom.
Doom is for noobs. CS 1.6 all the way

Old 04-21-2013, 04:48 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
The predicted thunder for this afternoon, turned about better than I anticipated. It last about an hour and with heavy, but not torrential rain -about 40mm/1.7 inches, in two hours.

It clear almost completely for a couple of hours, but is back to steady, moderate rain.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 AM

Stories now out about 104mm in a hour in Roding River catchment - not the 2nd highest recorded in NZ as stated (they said 109mm was the highest), as the Cropp River "Waterfall" site has recorded 134mm in an hour (in a night of almost continuous thunderstorms on the West Coast, 2300-0000, 8 Jan 2004).

Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Stories now out about 104mm in a hour in Roding River catchment - not the 2nd highest recorded in NZ as stated (they said 109mm was the highest), as the Cropp River "Waterfall" site has recorded 134mm in an hour (in a night of almost continuous thunderstorms on the West Coast, 2300-0000, 8 Jan 2004).
Wow, that is torrential rain. It's generally drier on that side of the bay, but can get serious downpours and flash flooding. Two work colleagues died in the nearby Hackett River about 30 Years ago. A flood during the night, rose and washed the hut they were in away. From memory, the hut was about 10 metres higher and back from the river.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:06 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,585,975 times
Some scattered showers around tonight, 6mm so far. Coolish max of 22C, though managed a short period of bright sunshine earlier today as well. After the very hot start to the month the weather has settled now into a typical autumn pattern.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 AM

777 posts, read 1,061,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Some scattered showers around tonight, 6mm so far. Coolish max of 22C, though managed a short period of bright sunshine earlier today as well. After the very hot start to the month the weather has settled now into a typical autumn pattern.
Sounds like Melbourne's March. First half kicked the ass of any Jaunary in history, then the second half was cloudy and autumnal at best.

April so far is average in terms of temps, and below average sunshine. So the Fail Whale sticker applies. However forecasts for the long weekend are looking good. 13-15C lows and 24C highs. Decent for being on the doorstep of May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather