Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 PM

633 posts, read 659,400 times

Advertisements

mountains in Patagonia

any guesses for the last one i posted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 01:32 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
i imagine with the mountains you have you could find some interesting locations (in valleys, peaks, etc.) that look like a completely different climate. rain shadows that give a desert feel, rain enhancement that causes a place to look like a borderline subtropical rainforest maybe?
I think with my photo posting history,most people would immediately say NZ.

I had good success with the guess the season thread, though. I was able to choose plenty of photos that had a season-less quality.

The Georgia coast?, for your one.

ghost-likin - Chile, at around 44"S?

Old 02-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 1,998,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think with my photo posting history,most people would immediately say NZ.

ghost-likin - Chile, at around 44"S?

Its Around Ushuaia,(54S).

At 44S,the forest arent all Deciduous,but mixed with some evergreens.

Cfc Climate.

Last edited by ghost-likin; 02-07-2016 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I had good success with the guess the season thread, though. I was able to choose plenty of photos that had a season-less quality.
i remember looking at one you took of a lake/river, all coniferous and birds flying. was middle of winter. mind blown. NZ rocks.

Quote:
The Georgia coast?, for your one.
nope. wrong state.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:22 PM

36 posts, read 26,824 times
North Carolina?

Old 02-07-2016, 02:30 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,267,624 times
Alabama

Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 PM

yup. Birmingham, Alabama

the large palm, called "Sabal Birmingham" in the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, around 1978.

they are a hardier subspecies of Sabal capable of surviving temperatures of 0°F or even lower.

ironically they all died in the 1980's. apparently the variety called "Birmingham" don't actually do that well in Birmingham.

for determining where the picture was taken, for me anyway the Loblolly pines are a dead giveaway at least for being an inland location. no way that could be coastal Georgia which (along with southern parts of Coastal South Carolina and most of Florida) is dominated by Slash pine and Longleaf pine which are not in the photo. also the evergreen bushes in the background are a variety not typically seen in the more mild coastal areas of the South.

how bout this:

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 02-07-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM

Southern Brazil Highlands? climate:CFB

Old 02-07-2016, 08:39 PM

yes. São Joaquim, Santa Catarina, Brazil. Cfb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_J...hy_and_climate

an otherwise warm climate though. i'm guessing the set up for cold fronts can bring precipitation after the temperatures drop. seems to happen once or twice a year. unlike the US where a cold front is always followed by low humidity and strong high pressure. Coastal Georgia/South Carolina sees similar average winter temperatures and a much lower record low but snow is very rare there. only happening once every 5-10 years.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
yes. São Joaquim, Santa Catarina, Brazil. Cfb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/São_J...hy_and_climate

an otherwise warm climate though. i'm guessing the set up for cold fronts can bring precipitation after the temperatures drop. seems to happen once or twice a year. unlike the US where a cold front is always followed by low humidity and strong high pressure. Coastal Georgia/South Carolina sees similar average winter temperatures and a much lower record low but snow is very rare there. only happening once every 5-10 years.
I think its because of Altitude,the temperature drops fast with the cold front.

And Southern Brazil is very unstable year round talking about rain.

In winter this combination can bring some heavy snow to the highlands like in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather