Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I went there in August 1995. Nice place to visit.
Yes, I go there regulary, it is actually the closest coast for my home; so when I want a week end along the Atlantic I go there, or its surroundings areas in the continent around La Rochelle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:27 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Bingo! good guess.

That little touristy island just off La Rochelle in central Atlantic France.

I'd love to go there.

Can you post the climate data for that city?

Looks subtropical.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'd love to go there.

Can you post the climate data for that city?

Looks subtropical.
It is classified as "oceanic". My believe is that "oceanic" doesn't actually means that much outside of a relatively unprecice rain and seasonal pattern. As I already pointed in another post, "oceanic" can cover some areas with very different actual climatical conditions. Not all the areas classified as "oceanic" are always cool and rainy as many people think, most of french Atlantic coast south of the Loire Valley is much warmer and sunnier than, say, Britanny or Normandy despeite the fact they all are classified as "oceanic". La Rochelle has actually respectable sunshine hours (comparable to mediterranean coast), especially in summer when it is quite dry also, and it has mild winters. It is just that its summers that are usually not hot enough that prevent it to be considered mediterranean by usual standards.

La Rochelle (closest data from the Ile de ré) is:
La Rochelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
It is classified as "oceanic". My believe is that "oceanic" doesn't actually means that much outside of a relatively unprecice rain and seasonal pattern. As I already pointed in another post, "oceanic" can cover some areas with very different actual climatical conditions. Not all the areas classified as "oceanic" are always cool and rainy as many people think, most of french Atlantic coast south of the Loire Valley is much warmer and sunnier than, say, Britanny or Normandy despeite the fact they all are classified as "oceanic". La Rochelle has actually respectable sunshine hours (comparable to mediterranean coast), especially in summer when it is quite dry also, and it has mild winters. It is just that its summers that are usually not hot enough that prevent it to be considered mediterranean by usual standards.

A very pretty place. My guess would have been the coast of Portugal, it just had the Atlantic look to it I guess. I love the use of stucco and tile roofs. Looking at the wiki climate numbers though, La Rochelle is a bit too cool in summer, as no months have a mean temp of 70 F/21 C or higher. So I don't think one could really call La Rochelle/Ile de re a warm climate, as it is rather cool throughout much of the year.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:

It gets the same annual sunshine hours of Philadelphia, but actually it gets more in the summer than here, and less in the winter. Winters look okay, while summer is a little cool for my taste.

I still think it beautiful and worth a visit. So many places to see, so little time.

Can they grow palm trees there, and citrus fruits?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
A very pretty place. My guess would have been the coast of Portugal, it just had the Atlantic look to it I guess. I love the use of stucco and tile roofs. Looking at the wiki climate numbers though, La Rochelle is a bit too cool in summer, as no months have a mean temp of 70 F/21 C or higher. So I don't think one could really call La Rochelle/Ile de re a warm climate, as it is rather cool throughout much of the year.
The "roman tiles" (red, round kind of tiles are of Roman origin and typical of many areas in southern Europe) roofs is also one things that gives the place a sort of "mediterranean feel" if we can say so. But these are not limited to areas along the mediterranean, but also in the Atlantic regions of southern Europe (Portuga, Northern Spain, south-western France). We find them as far north as in the southern suburbs of Nantes. (the orange area in this map represent the areas where this kind of roofing is traditionnally the norm)

Yes, it is not a subtropical climate, the summers still are usually relativelly cool. But does regulary also can have heatwaves, with upper 30°C temperatures, but being an island in the Atlantic (still relatively cool), the summer temperatures are moderated. A few kilometers inland, the cooling effect of the ocean is less important, and as such the summers are warmer. In the city of Cognac (famous for its drink of the same name), the summer high averages are 3°C above La Rochelle's a few km inland (27°C instead of 23°C); but still are not either considered mediterranean types of climates, winters are relativelly mild but not enough to be mediterranean.

Last edited by french user; 04-23-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It gets the same annual sunshine hours of Philadelphia, but actually it gets more in the summer than here, and less in the winter. Winters look okay, while summer is a little cool for my taste.

I still think it beautiful and worth a visit. So many places to see, so little time.

Can they grow palm trees there, and citrus fruits?
They don't have citrus. Most mediterranean areas in Europe do can not really grow citruses either btw. There are some palm trees in the gardens, but the island is full of other more typical mediterranean type of vegetation (Palms are not mediterranean at the origin, they just adaptated well in the coastal areas): such as Parasol pines and maritime pines; mixed with more typically oceanic vegetation.

street view visit: (there are too much places we won't have time to visit, so this helps!)
Google Maps

Google Maps

Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Okay my turn

I'll give u a hint it's in a temperate region.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:45 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,538 times
Spain (pyrenees)?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
Spain (pyrenees)?
nope but a good guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather