U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Would you Prefer
Paradise Valley 8 50.00%
Somewhere in the East Bay 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM

2,055 posts, read 3,463,107 times

Advertisements

Take your pic between these two climates:

The first one is fictional in the attempt to create a more boring climate than my hometown:
I'll call it Paradise Valley

January: Average High 74 F Average Low 63 F Record High 78 F Record Low 59 F
April: Average High 76 F Average Low 67 F Record High 80 F Record Low 63 F
July: Average High 80 F Average Low 71 Record High 85 F Record Low 67 F
October: Average High 77 F Average Low 68 F Record High 81 F Record Low 64 F

Rainfall is an average of 1.5 inches a month and evenly distributed throughout the year in the form of light showers. Thunderstorms are non-existent and have never been recorded in recorded history. The record for rainfall in 24 hours is a mere 1.24 inches as your average system only brings about a quarter of an inch or so.

Gentle breezes 2-5 mph are there almost every day but the all time record wind speed recorded is only 16 miles per hour.

Sunshine is reported an average of 360 days a year with even rainier days having sunny breaks.

The second climate is loosely based on my hometown:
I'll call it Somewhere in the East Bay

January: Average High 58 Average Low 41 Record High 80 Record Low 17
April: Average High 68 Average Low 47 Record High 95 Record Low 30
July: Average High 83 Average Low 58 Record High 108 Record Low 46
October: Average High 74 Average Low 49 Record High 102 Record Low 33

Summer is 4-5 months of endless blue skies with cool mornings and sunny days with highs ranging from 75 to 100 with lower 80s being average. Occasionally, we do get morning fog that burns off by 10AM. Rainfall is nearly nonexistent in summer (sprinkles happen maybe once in the average summer, a thunderstorm from tropical moisture happens maybe once every 2-4 years and is the talk of the town for days after when it happens).

In Winter, rain is moderate mostly in the form of light showers but sometimes heavier rainfall occurs. Thunderstorms are still rate but maybe occur once a winter with a light rumble of thunder but not a true thunderstorm.. Average rainfall per month in winter is around 2-3 inches per month in the months of December, January, and February. Small pea size hail occurs maybe once a year for a few minutes. Snow flurries at sea level happen maybe once every 10 years and a dusting of snow sticking to the ground happen once every 50 years or so.

Record Rainfall for a 24 hour period is 4.2 inches
Winds are usually light and variable with major windstorms being pretty rare but gusts of 40 + mph occur occasionally during heavier winter rainstorms.

During dry spells in winter, frost in the AM sometimes occurs but the day usually warms up to the 50s. A cold snap occurs once or twice a year with lows in the upper 20s and highs in the 40s. The lowest recorded daytime high ever was 38 degrees.

During the summer, the nights almost always cool down even during heat waves. It can reach 100 degrees on the hottest day of the year but it will be down into the 60s at night. Your typical summer morning at 7AM as about the same temperature as 2PM on your typical winter day.

Which of the two climates would you prefer? Please vote:
[+] Rate this post positively

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 03-06-2013 at 10:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM

5,929 posts, read 9,664,293 times
I preffer your climate, is much cooler in winter and better

Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 PM
B87

11,786 posts, read 9,306,009 times
East Bay has similar highs to my dream climate, but mine is a lot more humid with thunderstorms every few weeks in summer. Paradise Valley has similar lows.

I think I will go with Paradise Valley as the East Bay can get incredibly cold on occasion.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post

I think I will go with Paradise Valley as the East Bay can get incredibly cold on occasion.
You do realize most people in the Midwest would laugh their asses off for calling lower 30s F " incredibly cold." I say that as a native of the Bay Area.

I actually enjoy waking up to a frost on the car (closest thing we get to snow and when it gets thick, you can scoop it up and make a "frostball")and also seeing my breath as I take a morning walk.

I would miss that if I lived in Paradise Valley which is why I picked my own climate.
I also wish we had summer thunderstorms more frequently..Not every day like in the Deep South but maybe 2 to 4 times a summer rather than once every 2 to 4 years.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 AM
B87

11,786 posts, read 9,306,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
You do realize most people in the Midwest would laugh their asses off for calling lower 30s F " incredibly cold." I say that as a native of the Bay Area.

I actually enjoy waking up to a frost on the car (closest thing we get to snow and when it gets thick, you can scoop it up and make a "frostball")and also seeing my breath as I take a morning walk.

I would miss that if I lived in Paradise Valley which is why I picked my own climate.
I also wish we had summer thunderstorms more frequently..Not every day like in the Deep South but maybe 2 to 4 times a summer rather than once every 2 to 4 years.
I'm from London originally (though currently in Brisbane) and most people there would say low 30s was very cold (the coldest month, January has an average low of 37F there).

I was talking more about the record low of 17F.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I'm from London originally (though currently in Brisbane) and most people there would say low 30s was very cold (the coldest month, January has an average low of 37F there).

I was talking more about the record low of 17F.
That record low happened in December of 1990 when I was a year old so I don't remember it at all but my parents told me that there was ice on the lake in front of our house...that is a one time thing...

The coldest temps in my memory here in the Bay Area are in the upper 20s F...
An all time record is what statisticians call an "outlier"......and should not be counted in statistics...

Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,355,280 times
Somewhere in the east bay for me. Much more interesting instead of the same temperature all year. Sounds like livermore, which is definitely a decent climate, I just wish it was colder with more snow, and warmer summer nights would also be good.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
Somewhere in the east bay for me. Much more interesting instead of the same temperature all year. Sounds like livermore, which is definitely a decent climate, I just wish it was colder with more snow, and warmer summer nights would also be good.
Your comments are the EXACT same complaints I have about my climate...
If I could tweak to the PERFECT A+ + climate, here are the changes I'd make...

Snow accumulation once a year instead of once every 50 years. I would NOT want to SHOVEL snow or drive in it on a regular basis, but it would be nice to wake up to a light dusting once a winter..
I also want more cold nights and to lower the average daytime high to around 50 instead of 58. Winter days should NOT be the same temps as our summer wee hours of the morning....

I hate having to wear a sweater on summer nights and early mornings (sometimes needed on our cooler summer days). I would raise the summer lows by about 10 degrees. Daytime high of lower 80s is perfect so I'd leave it as it is....I'd raise the average overnight low to 67.

I also hate the long dry stretches and lack of thunderstorm but I would NOT want daily thunder and rain like you have in the deep south. I'd want 2-4 thunderstorms on the average each summer rather than 1 thundstorm every 2-4 summers.

Right now, I rate my current climate...Those changes would make it an A+

Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM

10,675 posts, read 14,620,440 times
Paradise valley for me.. looks almost like paradise. Somewhere in the East bay looks a bit too chilly... especially that record low of 17!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather