U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 09:45 AM

5,278 posts, read 3,589,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naif12 View Post
12C with just above freezing dewpoint felt cool borderline chilly (2 layers). Madinah, Saudi Arabia, 5 January 2016 at 5am, 2 hours before sunrise
I get that you went there for pilgrimage because you are a muslim, and probably didn't care about the weather at all, but why don't you try going to Río Grande this winter, so you can tell us how cold weather feels to you? It would be really interesting if you agreed to do that
Rate this post positively

Old 04-11-2016, 02:25 PM

46 posts, read 31,135 times
70F and colder

Old 04-11-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHEAT View Post
70F and colder
WOW!

Anyway, there's not a precise point where I feel cold.

60 °F (15.5 °C) for me is warm, I don't know why many people say it's too cool or even cold. It doesn't feel cold at all for me. And virtually everyone wears at least a light jacket with this temperature, maybe you can see a person who wears short-sleeves after other 19 people who wear light jackets or even heavier jackets, it's not common at all. But people don't seem to complain so much (not that they say it to me). But on the Internet I often see people who say 60 °F is cold. I don't know...

50 °F (10 °C). I think it depends on the conditions. If it's sunny and calm (below 3 mph; 5 km/h) it feels mild and I can still wear short-sleeves without any problem. It feels normal. If it's overcast and windy (above 15 mph; 24 km/h), it will feel like a western winter. Great mood, but still not cold.

40 °F (4.4 °C). This is getting near to cold, but still not cold. If it's sunny and calm I can go outside in short sleeves for about 30 minutes, but after that my hands and arms will get cold. If it's windy (the same as before: above 15 mph; 24 km/h) it will feel cold, but it's not because of the temperature, it's because of the wind. I wear a jacket with this temperature if I have to walk outside for more than 15 minutes, I usually don't wear gloves, my hands will be comfortable in my pockets.

30 °F (-1.1 °C). I think the threshold of cold begins at 32 °F, so 30 °F is cold. I can wear short sleeves for about 10 minutes before my skin starts to get cold. I don't usually go outside in short sleeves with this temperature, but when I do, it's just to make my friends laugh (since it's really weird to wear short-sleeves in freezing weather), and then I return inside in less than a minute.

20 °F (-6.66 °C). This temperature marks the beginning of Hell. Below this temperature it's biting cold. It literally feels like biting. Of course, 20 °F itself is not that bad, but when the temperature is in the teens, it's not pleasant at all. I can stay outside in short-sleeves for 3 minutes before my skin starts to get cold. I've been outside in short sleeves in this temperature, but it was mainly to make other people laugh and it was only for around 10-20 seconds. Below this temperature I prefer staying inside in my warm bedroom, using the Internet, listening to music, playing videogames like Tekken and reading some interesting books which I have bought but never began reading because I've forgotten that they actually exist.

10 °F (-12.2 °C). I think this temperature is cold for everyone. I need a scarf with this temperature, because my lips will freeze and it will be annoying. My nose will also get cold. If I breathe too deeply, I will feel freezing on the inside. I can stay outside for just one minute in short-sleeves with this kind of cold. It feels literally frigid and everything freezes. If I go out in short-sleeves with this temperature even for 6 seconds, nobody will laugh, they'll rather get worried for my health. It's extreme. Anywhere with an average low below 10 °F in winter, and I don't suggest going there in winter.

There are lower temperatures, but it would be useless to describe them, since they are too cold for them to be a threshold. I think 10 °F is cold enough to be seen as cold by everyone.

Pleasant cold is around 25 °F; 32 °F (-3.9 °C; 0 °C) for me. Anything below 20 °F (-6.66 °C) is too cold for me to comfortably stay outside, and I need to stay inside. Outdoor activities are very difficult below 20 °F.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:08 PM

46 posts, read 31,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
WOW!

Anyway, there's not a precise point where I feel cold.

60 °F (15.5 °C) for me is warm, I don't know why many people say it's too cool or even cold. It doesn't feel cold at all for me. And virtually everyone wears at least a light jacket with this temperature, maybe you can see a person who wears short-sleeves after other 19 people who wear light jackets or even heavier jackets, it's not common at all. But people don't seem to complain so much (not that they say it to me). But on the Internet I often see people who say 60 °F is cold. I don't know...

50 °F (10 °C). I think it depends on the conditions. If it's sunny and calm (below 3 mph; 5 km/h) it feels mild and I can still wear short-sleeves without any problem. It feels normal. If it's overcast and windy (above 15 mph; 24 km/h), it will feel like a western winter. Great mood, but still not cold.

40 °F (4.4 °C). This is getting near to cold, but still not cold. If it's sunny and calm I can go outside in short sleeves for about 30 minutes, but after that my hands and arms will get cold. If it's windy (the same as before: above 15 mph; 24 km/h) it will feel cold, but it's not because of the temperature, it's because of the wind. I wear a jacket with this temperature if I have to walk outside for more than 15 minutes, I usually don't wear gloves, my hands will be comfortable in my pockets.

30 °F (-1.1 °C). I think the threshold of cold begins at 32 °F, so 30 °F is cold. I can wear short sleeves for about 10 minutes before my skin starts to get cold. I don't usually go outside in short sleeves with this temperature, but when I do, it's just to make my friends laugh (since it's really weird to wear short-sleeves in freezing weather), and then I return inside in less than a minute.

20 °F (-6.66 °C). This temperature marks the beginning of Hell. Below this temperature it's biting cold. It literally feels like biting. Of course, 20 °F itself is not that bad, but when the temperature is in the teens, it's not pleasant at all. I can stay outside in short-sleeves for 3 minutes before my skin starts to get cold. I've been outside in short sleeves in this temperature, but it was mainly to make other people laugh and it was only for around 10-20 seconds. Below this temperature I prefer staying inside in my warm bedroom, using the Internet, listening to music, playing videogames like Tekken and reading some interesting books which I have bought but never began reading because I've forgotten that they actually exist.

10 °F (-12.2 °C). I think this temperature is cold for everyone. I need a scarf with this temperature, because my lips will freeze and it will be annoying. My nose will also get cold. If I breathe too deeply, I will feel freezing on the inside. I can stay outside for just one minute in short-sleeves with this kind of cold. It feels literally frigid and everything freezes. If I go out in short-sleeves with this temperature even for 6 seconds, nobody will laugh, they'll rather get worried for my health. It's extreme. Anywhere with an average low below 10 °F in winter, and I don't suggest going there in winter.

There are lower temperatures, but it would be useless to describe them, since they are too cold for them to be a threshold. I think 10 °F is cold enough to be seen as cold by everyone.

Pleasant cold is around 25 °F; 32 °F (-3.9 °C; 0 °C) for me. Anything below 20 °F (-6.66 °C) is too cold for me to comfortably stay outside, and I need to stay inside. Outdoor activities are very difficult below 20 °F.

60F is heavy jacket weather here and thankfully it is rare during the day.
Daytime temperatures here are 70-110F most of the year.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHEAT View Post
60F is heavy jacket weather here and thankfully it is rare during the day.
Daytime temperatures here are 70-110F most of the year.
I think 60 °F is jacket (albeit not heavy) weather almost everywhere (except maybe in Nuuk?). I don't wear it just because I think it's competely useless, if not for fashion purposes.

I start wearing a jacket usually if the temperature is below 45 °F.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I noticed that, for example, 45 °F during the day (even if it's overcast) feels mild (to me), but after sunset, when it's dark, it usually feels very cool. Maybe the sunlight warms your skin even when it's overcast?

I think cold is below 32 °F, or below 40 °F if it's windy. 65 °F, sunny and calm will always feel nice to me. With that temperature I don't even think about the weather, I just walk and enjoy it. I can't feel it as "cold".

What temperature do you think it's a cold morning?

Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 PM

11,584 posts, read 7,406,954 times
It depends on the season but I would say 12c (50f) is the dividing line for most of the year. During summer it jumps up to 18c imo since you're so used to the warmth

Old 04-11-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It depends on the season but I would say 12c (50f) is the dividing line for most of the year. During summer it jumps up to 18c imo since you're so used to the warmth
12 °C is not 50 °F, 12 °C is 54 °F.
50 °F is 10 °C.

Anyway, your point about it being relative to what you're used to in the past month is true! If you are used to highs in the 70's for 3 consecutive weeks, a 55 °F high will not feel as warm, and wearing heavier clothes is justified. If you get a high of 85 °F, it will feel very hot.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:07 AM

104 posts, read 102,806 times
For me:
  • above 38˚C (100˚F) is sweltering and invariably totally unpleasant to do anything except stay in rooms that a far better insulated that unusual in “cheap and nasty” Australia
  • 32˚C to 38˚C (90˚F to 100˚F) is very hot and rarely pleasant
  • 26˚C to 32˚C (79˚F to 90˚F) is hot and not pleasant unless there is a strong seabreeze – which can make it comfortable
  • 20˚C to 26˚C (68˚F to 79˚F) is warm and varies from unpleasant with humidity and stillness to delightful with a cool breeze
  • 14˚C to 20˚C (57˚F to 68˚F) is comfortable and pleasant for outdoor walking or cycling, and for indoor walk
  • 8˚C to 14˚C (46˚F to 57˚F) is cool but generally very much livable
  • 0˚C to 8˚C (32˚F to 46˚F) is “proper cold” as I say to Australia’s heat-loving population, which calls what I call comfortable “cold”
  • -10˚C to 0˚C (14˚F to 32˚F) is freezing and unpleasant, though wiht sunshine it can be very enjoyable with proper clothing
  • below -10˚C or 14˚F is frigid, though can be beautiful with clear sunshine, which I saw the one day I have been in such weather on a day in Helsinki during the 2009/2010 winter
As you can see, about 8˚C or 46.4˚F is what I really begin to call “cold”, although such temperatures in the morning I can often bear without much clothing. I usually get into shorts above 20˚C, and into T-shirts above 17˚or 18˚C, although the thresholds get quite a bit hotter if there is a strong seabreeze which is not that rare in Melbourne. I will at times feel underdressed on days with cold mornings and evenings, but in comfortable and sunny weather I often feel to warm when exercising in clothes designed for the morning and evening temperatures, besides which indoor rooms in Melbourne are invariably overheated during the comfortable winter weather, as are buses and trams.

Last edited by mianfei; 11-19-2017 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: More details

Old 11-19-2017, 08:22 AM

1,201 posts, read 493,355 times
5C or lower

Old 11-19-2017, 02:51 PM

18,596 posts, read 12,213,052 times
40F or lower. Now it is very rare to see temps in the 30's in my area anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.