U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 02:39 AM

2,413 posts, read 602,980 times

Advertisements

0.1-5.4°c
Rate this post positively

Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,889,198 times
Assuming a typical cloudy winter day with no wind/light wind: the air feels uncomfortably cold when the temperature gets down to around -10 F/-23 C unless I am very active in it.

If it is very windy out then temperatures around 5 F/-15C to 10 F/-12 C can feel pretty raw after a while.

Water temperatures=Below 60F/16 C. I fell through ice on Lake Ontario once in late winter/early spring when the water was around 38 F/3 C and absolutely could not warm up even after changing clothes and soaking in a warm tub. I was shivering for the rest of the day and part of the next day despite turning the thermostat up to 84 F/29 C and driving everyone else out of the cabin into the cold for relief from the heat .

Old 02-17-2019, 06:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 736,668 times
Below 10°C, for most conditions.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 AM

6,281 posts, read 4,627,568 times
Usually below about 40 F / 4 C, however depending on conditions, up to 49.99999999 F / 9.99999999 C.

Anything between 50.0 F / 10 C and 134 F / 56.7 C is NOT cold.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:09 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,215,168 times
Cold is so subjective and I wonder why we all feel it differently. I’ve lived in northern NY my entire life so I grew up with cold winters (today’s high is 18F, tonight it will be -4F). We had a cold snap in January where it didn’t get above 0 for a number of days- and that’s pretty typical for January.

Given that I grew up in this area, it’s surprising to me that I get chilly when the temps are in the 60s and am down right miserable if it’s below 40f. I start wearing a base later when it’s below 40F.

My husband grew up in western NY and he didn’t experience the super frigid winters- he’d never experienced -30f until he relocated up here. Yet he loves weather that is below 60f and doesn’t get cold until it’s in the 30s or 40s. He doesn’t wear more than a hoody until the temps are below 20f. Meanwhile I’m bundled head to toe with my parka, gloves, scarf, boots, wool socks lol.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:21 AM
BMI

7,473 posts, read 5,538,862 times
You acclimatize....at least I do...

By late winter (now) ....gloves are optional when it’s just slightly below freezing,
does not feel cold....in november it would.

Temps below about 20F (-7C) do still feel cold....and that -20 stuff feels like a slap in the face,
and if there is a wind

Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM

1,464 posts, read 987,275 times
It's too variable. I can be comfortable or freezing at 40 degrees f. I like a cloudy day at 65 to 68 degrees. I don't really enjoy warm sunny days as much as a normal person.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM

307 posts, read 168,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Another thread I read and responded to had me thinking....

Cold has a rather ambiguous meaning and largely depends on where you.....

For people who live in the TRUE tropics (Singapore, Southern Asia, Hawaii, Any tropical island), where temps stay above 64 F (18C) even on the coldest winter nights, do people consider that like really really really cold when they wake up in the AM and it's that temp out? Do people get chilled at those temps? 64 F for me is short-sleeves if sunny with no wind but wear a sweater if it's cloudy and/or breezy at that temp.

For people who live in mild winter climates such as Florida,California, Southern Europe where the coldest nights drop to right around freezing and the coldest daytime highs you in a typical winter are around 50 F (10 C). Where I live (and grew up) some people here consider that like really cold while others don't. Meaning that they don't want to spend large amounts of time outside when temps are in the 40s F but for me it's fine to spend long periods of time outside with a windbreaker on. I will say it's "cold" because it's cold for us.

For people who live in moderately cold winter climates like the Northeastern U.S., Central States U.S. (Kansas, Oklahoma), Northwestern Europe, where winter averages right around freezing, what is your threshold to say, "it's cold outside"? I found 20 F (when visitlng NYC and Lake Tahoe during the winter) to be pretty cold but comfortable with 4 layers on (turtleneck, sweater, windbreaker, and jacket) plus gloves and boots. No problem with spending the large periods of time outside. Do people from these climate consider that the threshold for "cold."?

For those who live in pretty cold winter climates like the Northern Plains and the Upper Midwest of the U.S or Eastern Europe. where below 0 F is common and temps rarely rise above 40 F (5 C) all winter, what's your threshold to say "it's cold out"? I have no experience with anything less than 15 F so no idea how I'd feel at those temps or less.

And for those who live in extremely cold winter climates such as Fairbanks, Alaska, Yellowknife, Canada, Interior Russia, where -40 F or colder occur every winter and AVERAGE winter temps are less than 0F, what's your thresh hold to say "it's cold out"?

Please specify the temp and specify where it's in F or C. Like most Americans, I think in terms of Fahrenheit. If needed, I can translate in my head from Celsius without using an app though .
I live in South Florida which is a true tropical climate. When the temperature reached 64F (18C) for the first time as we were entering the "winter" season it actually shocked the system and felt cold even though it's really not. That temperature still feels cool although not as much so because we're used to it in the winter season, although it almost always occurs at night and not during the day.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:57 PM

5,594 posts, read 5,605,143 times
Just after I got used to cycling my road bike when it was 0°C/32°F, the pattern has dropped to daily highs somewhere around -6C/22°F. That's the high, minimums are in the single digits F. That's just too cold to ride! Especially if the wind kicks up.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM

276 posts, read 72,547 times
Below 18C is cold
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.