U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2019, 06:57 PM
 
8,006 posts, read 3,312,803 times
Reputation: 8175

Advertisements

Below 40f or 5 c for me. 55 in the house and I'm fine. 75 f and I'm uncomfortable.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-24-2019, 03:53 AM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,413 posts, read 603,741 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Why do you have only one category for everything from 31C on up? Throwing everything from 31C to 50C into the same basket of "scorching" is too simplistic; I suspect you have not actually experienced the higher temperatures to recognize the differences.

31C does not feel much like 37C, for example. We have both temperatures regularly in the summer, and the difference is very noticeable. I'll go out for bike rides at 31C, but not at 37C.

41C is another level of heat ("stay inside by the fan with a cold drink"), and once when I was in Palm Desert it was 47C, which is in a league of its own.

I think you need to think up some more words.
The highest temperature I ever experienced was 33.8°C in Alcester, UK in 2006.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 PM
 
Location: The South
152 posts, read 47,732 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
Below 0 is freezing. 16-18°C is warm not mild. 19-23°C is warm to hot and delightful. 24-28°C is hot not warm. 31-34°C is scorching not hot. 35-39°C is scorching not very hot. Above 40°C is scorching not dangerously hot. Otherwise correct.
I'll stick to what I wrote before. This:

+40°C dangerously hot
35-39°C very hot
29-34°C hot
24-28°C warm
19-23°C pleasant
15-18°C mild
11-14°C cool
6-10°C chilly
1-5°C cold.
-0°C very cold.

It's my personal opinion so cry me a river if you don't like it. You said before the maximum you experienced was 33.8°C, that's nothing! I have experienced +40°C in May, lol.

Maybe from your Bidford perspective... that's why elderly northern Europeans look like aliens wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandals in a 20°C January day in southern Spain while locals wear jackets/hoodies and long pants/jeans. For me 16°C is just mild, nothing close to being warm. I have to wear a light jacket if it's sunny. If it's cloudy/rainy and humid then I have to wear a raincoat.

And 25°C hot? Maybe in your local summer where the avg high is 22-23. For me 25°C is warm and nice. 25°C and partly cloudy is optimal weather for me. Also calling "scorching" everything above 28°C is just senseless. Yeah, sure, it's the same experiencing 29°C as it's 43°C. lol
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,413 posts, read 603,741 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan001 View Post
I'll stick to what I wrote before. This:

+40°C dangerously hot
35-39°C very hot
29-34°C hot
24-28°C warm
19-23°C pleasant
15-18°C mild
11-14°C cool
6-10°C chilly
1-5°C cold.
-0°C very cold.

It's my personal opinion so cry me a river if you don't like it. You said before the maximum you experienced was 33.8°C, that's nothing! I have experienced +40°C in May, lol.

Maybe from your Bidford perspective... that's why elderly northern Europeans look like aliens wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandals in a 20°C January day in southern Spain while locals wear jackets/hoodies and long pants/jeans. For me 16°C is just mild, nothing close to being warm. I have to wear a light jacket if it's sunny. If it's cloudy/rainy and humid then I have to wear a raincoat.

And 25°C hot? Maybe in your local summer where the avg high is 22-23. For me 25°C is warm and nice. 25°C and partly cloudy is optimal weather for me. Also calling "scorching" everything above 28°C is just senseless. Yeah, sure, it's the same experiencing 29°C as it's 43°C. lol
24°C is delightful, 25 is horrid. Also scorching is not above 28°C, it is above 30°C.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 01:15 PM
 
Location: The South
152 posts, read 47,732 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
24°C is delightful, 25 is horrid. Also scorching is not above 28°C, it is above 30°C.
Your words make no sense. You won't even feel the difference between 24 and 25°C. No one would. "24°C is delightful, 25 is horrid" Senseless.

"it's scorching above 30" 41-42°C feel like a flamethrower in your face. A dry, low RH 30°C high won't make you sweat when walking.

But blergh, whatever. You can't even realize people have different tastes, even my wall comprehends it faster...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,413 posts, read 603,741 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan001 View Post
Your words make no sense. You won't even feel the difference between 24 and 25°C. No one would. "24°C is delightful, 25 is horrid" Senseless.

"it's scorching above 30" 41-42°C feel like a flamethrower in your face. A dry, low RH 30°C high won't make you sweat when walking.

But blergh, whatever. You can't even realize people have different tastes, even my wall comprehends it faster...
Er, yes you can feel the difference between 24 and 25, I know that 24 feels delightful and 25 is horrid. And 30°C would make me sweat
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,198,505 times
Reputation: 26523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan001 View Post
Your words make no sense. You won't even feel the difference between 24 and 25°C. No one would. "24°C is delightful, 25 is horrid" Senseless.

"it's scorching above 30" 41-42°C feel like a flamethrower in your face. A dry, low RH 30°C high won't make you sweat when walking.

But blergh, whatever. You can't even realize people have different tastes, even my wall comprehends it faster...
He doesn't understand because he's autistic. Once I learned that, I stopped getting so frustrated and started getting curious about how his perceptions are different from a neurotypical person's perceptions. You and I know that the difference between 24C and 25C is basically imperceptible, but Randomguy sees things in black and white, and places temperatures in discrete categories that can not be shifted. By his definition 24C is delightful, and 25C crosses the line into horrid, no exceptions. For everyone, everywhere. It doesn't matter how you or I or anyone else perceives those temperatures.

I agree with you on all points, of course. After a few hours in 42C (I've been there, more than once), 30C is a huge relief. Those two temperatures are certainly not equally "scorching."
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Bidford-on-Avon, England
2,413 posts, read 603,741 times
Reputation: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
He doesn't understand because he's autistic. Once I learned that, I stopped getting so frustrated and started getting curious about how his perceptions are different from a neurotypical person's perceptions. You and I know that the difference between 24C and 25C is basically imperceptible, but Randomguy sees things in black and white, and places temperatures in discrete categories that can not be shifted. By his definition 24C is delightful, and 25C crosses the line into horrid, no exceptions. For everyone, everywhere. It doesn't matter how you or I or anyone else perceives those temperatures.

I agree with you on all points, of course. After a few hours in 42C (I've been there, more than once), 30C is a huge relief. Those two temperatures are certainly not equally "scorching."
No 30°C isn't scorching, it is hot. 42°C is scorching
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-24-2019, 03:43 PM
 
10,090 posts, read 6,198,505 times
Reputation: 26523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
No 30°C isn't scorching, it is hot. 42°C is scorching
I beg your pardon. I meant 31C.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-25-2019, 03:52 PM
 
3,696 posts, read 1,169,993 times
Reputation: 4795
summer anything below 60f or need a jacket,,Winter sitting on a frozen lake, fishing -18c or 0f.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top