Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Hoping a boiling hot one because I might be going this year and im desperate for some sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Hoping a boiling hot one because I might be going this year and im desperate for some sun.
Much of central and southern Spain away from the coasts hits the upper 90s, low 100s very frequently and is always sunny. Much more sunny than the eastern half of the US

Old 03-13-2013, 03:29 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Florida is better and ive been to spain 7 times im sick of it.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Quote:
If you are looking for extreme humid heat with a thunderstorm every afternoon then Florida is better. What you looking for though?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
How is Florida better? It has more "weather" than Spain does? That I can understand, Spanish summers are can be construed as stale by some.

Where in Spain have you gone, and is this place normally overrun by Brits? Maybe I'm biased, since I'm American and hold Spain in similar regards to Ireland from American Irish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
If you are looking for extreme humid heat with a thunderstorm every afternoon then Florida is better. What you looking for though?
Well, if I was looking for "weather", Florida wouldn't be the place to go, IMO. It would be northern Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri.

Though funny how we as people tend to want the opposite of what we grew up in. I want stale, predictable, reliable, boring weather patterns since I only lived in Am/Af, warm Dfb and warm Dfa climates in my entire life

Old 03-13-2013, 09:00 AM

12 posts, read 21,200 times
It's been brutal in Nebraska the past couple summers. I usually have to water my front shade garden only once or twice per summer to keep it happy. Last year I was watering once or twice per week, and my hostas still gave up the ghost by early August. I'm waiting anxiously to see if I lost any.

The reason the NW had fairly cool, wet summers in '11 and '12 while most of the rest of the country got roasted is the jet stream. Jeff Masters from the Wunderblog at Weather Underground has had some interesting blog posts on it. Apparently it's been repeatedly getting stuck in blocking patterns the last few years due to slower circulation. He just had another post about it the other day, in fact. It's a bit technical, but very interesting if you're a science geek like me : Are atmospheric flow patterns favorable for summer extreme weather increasing?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
I moved in summer 2008 to DC from San Diego. Summer 2008 was a hot San Diego summer. Both summer 2009 & 2008 were normal in DC, but 2009 was dry in summer (rain began in fall). Summer 2009 was a normal summer in LA, as I visited there in August. I visited again in July 2010. DC was much hotter than normal, and more humid/rainy. It was cloudy and only in the 60s along the west coast, and the ocean was colder than normal. I returned to DC, and the early fall was still hot and humid (it was 71F, rainy and humid at night on Halloween!). But the fall was scorching out west in 2010! I guess it made up for the cool and foggy summer. In 2011, DC was again, hotter than normal, with a lot of humidity and thunderstorms. I stayed inside for a few days straight! And I like heat, humidity and thunderstorms! I moved to San Diego in August 2011, and it was a normal summer. In 2012, it was hotter than usual across the nation. My friends in DC were whining about the terrible heat and humidity. In San Diego, summer started off nice, but gradually grew hotter than normal. Then, shockingly, the monsoon from the Sea of Cortez made its way towards the coast! It got humid for weeks here. We even got some nice summer thunderstorms to my delight. The ocean water was warmer than normal as well. I've heard people say that this will be a cooler summer than usual, and other say it will be another heat wave. I'm not sure what to think, but I certainly believe that the drought will continue for a 3rd year in a row.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:55 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I want another hot one. I am a bona fide heat lover.

2009 was a nightmare, the thought of a repeat makes me cringe.
If my wild guess is correct, you'll be basking in a heat wave this summer, though the above-normal heat will be short-lived. The "big joke" is that by the time it arrives you WWF's will be in fear of another nightmarishly cool summer . Alright, it is a pretty bad joke. Don't quote me when it comes to those maps - it's called a wild guess for a reason, and it's not a bona fide prediction.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
So how is this summer turning out? June seemed above average but not by much for the eastern US, some hot spots for the southwestern US and cool spots for the northern interior. July had an interesting pattern: a hot northeast, particularly New England and eastern NY, a cool south and lower midwest, with the west hot. A longwave pattern?

This led to an interesting reversal: so far this month, Chicopee, Massachusetts has been hotter than Birmingham Alabama.

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/maps/curren...aterange=Month

Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,685 times
Good, hard stats and charts. I'd be interested to see the pattern over the past FORTY (or so) years, to understand the true impact of climate change on the northern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather