Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:54 AM
nei nei started this thread nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times

Advertisements

Some may call this post premature, as there's 3 months to summer, but for American posters who wish look ahead to towards the upcoming warm season, this may a good comparison. The last three summers had a number of big heat waves and many thought they were unusually hot. Where they all the same? Where was this heat concentrated? Do you think we might get a repeat this summer? Here's 2012:

Not really record breaking, heat was concentrated in the western plains & rockies and parts of the northern US in the eastern half of the country*. Statewide plots show lots of heat:

Now 2011:

opposite patten, more in the south than north. Cold for the Northwest. Now for 2010:

record breaking for the south, nearly for the north. 2010 was concentrated more in the eastern part of the country than the later two.

That's a lot of heat! But yet again, the heat wave skipped the west coast, particularly the northwest. Four in a row possible? All images from the NCDC/NOAA:

National Temperature and Precipitation Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM

559 posts, read 748,241 times
I sure hope not a fourth hot summer in a row. I've had enough of it. The past 3 Julys especially have been hot with each one having a 95+ day. July 2010 it was 102 degrees but at least it wasn't that humid. I thought after that it wouldn't be 100 again for many years. Well I sure was proved wrong, as in July 2011 it was 100 AGAIN and it was humid. I believe the heat index was somewhere around 114! After that I thought for sure it wouldn't be a hot summer the next year. Well, it was. Yet again in July 2012 we had a heat wave, though not as severe as the past two years (the highest was 97 F). I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if it's another hot summer, but I'm really hoping it isn't. The summer of 2009 was nice, only 2 90 degree days here I believe. The only problem was it was too wet for me. If we can get a cool/average summer that's relatively dry (not drought levels of dryness) then that would be perfect for me.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:00 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
We haven't had a hot summer for about 7 years! I'd gladly accept some of your heat this year!

Thank you!

Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,520 times
Yeah, I hope we see another summer like 2009. There were days in July that didn't get out of 70s. Over the past few years, it's been hard to find a comfortable day in the summer.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
As shown on the chart, we have been normal or below the last 3 years. Last summer we never even plugged in the window AC in the family room.The dry days lasted a little longer,
into early October, but we never got over 85 at all. Another year of the same would be great.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:44 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
There's been a triad of hot summers in the U.S. as a whole, as well as a triad of cool summers on the West Coast, curiously enough . The weather pattern for Summer 2013 at this point is difficult to predict, but I suppose that a fourth hot summer is possible, as is a cool summer more similar to 2009.

Each summer in the triad has been quite different, and curiously the center of the heat moved west with each year. If that trend continues, it is possible that the West Coast will be the center of the heat in 2013, with the East becoming cooler.

As I said earlier, summer weather patterns are hard to predict at this point, but I'll venture a wild guess:

My gut feeling is that a cool pattern in the earlier part of the summer will induce cries of a "year with no summer", but after the Fourth of July these people will be proven wrong big-time with a big though relatively short-lived heat wave.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Last July was the warmest ever in Duluth and absolutely beautiful. Some days were uncomfortably sticky but the wind shifted to off lake at night and with your window open you could have all your blankets on and still be comfortable, and even on the hotter days it would become milder as the sun set. So, would I want another summer like last year's? Of course.

In the Summer of 2009, I was in Tampa for almost the first two months so I didn't get much of a feel for it, although I can say August 2009 was certainly cooler than normal, although September 2009 was one of the best Septembers ever. 2010 was also a beautiful summer, although a bit humid. I remember sitting out in the hot, humid sun with a Red Cross agent and an "independent insurance adjuster" the day we had our house fire. 2011 had a really cold June that suddenly (like instantaneously) turned into a warm and humid July.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

My gut feeling is that a cool pattern in the earlier part of the summer will induce cries of a "year with no summer", but after the Fourth of July these people will be proven wrong big-time with a big though relatively short-lived heat wave.
After so many years with little or no summer, that would be a welcomed treat.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I want another hot one. I am a bona fide heat lover.

2009 was a nightmare, the thought of a repeat makes me cringe.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
After so many years with little or no summer, that would be a welcomed treat.
What? Summers are perfect there! Warm enough to be summer, cool enough to actually enjoy being outside instead of in stifling heat with humidity so high you can see it 100 feet away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather