Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take your pick
Shorts, T, and flip flops at 50 F 11 42.31%
Bundled up at 0 F 15 57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times

Advertisements

Which is more comfortable?

Assume that you have to sit outside for 3 hours and people watch. Remember 3 hours is quite a long time to be outside sitting and quite different from walking around the block or waiting at a bus stop for 10 minutes.

Would you prefer to do this at 50 F (10 C) in nothing but shorts, a tee, and flip flops OR you can choose to sit outside in 0 F (-18 C) wearing as many layers and accessories (gloves, hats, scarves etc) as you want.

Both conditions are cloudy days with no wind to rule out any sun warming effects or windchill factor...
You can not move around and exercise to keep warm- you must sit there in a chair. You can play with any electronic devices though as long as you're not obviously exercising.

Take your vote and justify your choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Bundled up at 0f, guessing thats not too dangerous, if you are sitting still.

I would be COLD at cloudy 50f with summer clothes, and im guessing not so much bundled up at 0f.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
At my current state (adapted to winter temps) I will say 50f with shorts.

Tough choice though.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
There's plenty of reasons to sit outside for hours...simply hanging out, watching a sports event, etc.

I'll go with t-shirt and shorts at 50 F. Wouldn't be comfortable, but I would be worried about getting frostbite at 0 F.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,507,470 times
I would normally wear longsleeves and jeans at 50F (especially with no sun), but I still pick the 50F with shorts and a t-shirt.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrystalLizard View Post
Another STUPID poll. Tell me why in the hell would someone need to sit outside and do absolutely nothing for 3 hours for any reason and why they would need to wear shorts and a t-shirt while sitting in a chair. Please justify.
There are outdoor jobs where you spend long bouts of time outside but all involve physical activity of some sort.

STUPID poll.
IF it bothers you that much, imagine that you're a drop dead gorgeous super-model given a choice between accepting a two high paying gig that involves sitting still for a photo shoot for 3 hours.

Option 1: You can do a swimwear photo shoot on Miami's South Beach but there are having a big time cold snap that day with a high of only 50 F.

Option 2: You can model ski clothes for a high end resort located in in the Rockies on a cloudy day and the temps will remain steady around 0 F during the photo shoot.

Both gigs last 3 hours cuz they want to take multiple pictures continuously.

You will be paid the same amount for gigs. Which gig do you pick?

Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
IF it bothers you that much, imagine that you're a drop dead gorgeous super-model given a choice between accepting a two high paying gig that involves sitting still for a photo shoot for 3 hours.

Option 1: You can do a swimwear photo shoot on Miami's South Beach but there are having a big time cold snap that day with a high of only 50 F.

Option 2: You can model ski clothes for a high end resort located in in the Rockies on a cloudy day and the temps will remain steady around 0 F during the photo shoot.

Both gigs last 3 hours cuz they want to take multiple pictures continuously.

You will be paid the same amount for gigs. Which gig do you pick?
Not the same, cause in the original option you cold wear as much clothes as YOU wanted and you could chose them, while in the colorado shoot you would have to use clothes chosen by a producer or photographer, not clothes you would be sure you couldnt be cold at.
In this new scenario you are presenting, i chose the Miami thing no doubt.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Not the same, cause in the original option you cold wear as much clothes as YOU wanted and you could chose them, while in the colorado shoot you would have to use clothes chosen by a producer or photographer, not clothes you would be sure you couldnt be cold at.
In this new scenario you are presenting, i chose the Miami thing no doubt.
Good point- the photographers wouldn't want you to cover your gorgeous face though the outerwear could be really warm. So a ski mask would be out of the question even though you could wear a super-warm snowsuit, hat, ski gloves, earmuffs, and a scarf.

So let's go back to the original scenario then....
I guess I was trying to hard to appease the overcritical troll..

Old 03-12-2013, 05:16 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
50F for me. A temp like that with close to 100% RH is an extremely common morning temp throughout most of the year here. While not what I'd call toasty, it's hardly an ordeal. I've done the OF thing as well and that isn't nice if not moving for too long.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Yes another silly poll. NEITHER is my answer thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather