Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:08 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times

Advertisements

Thunderstorms are cool. Winter is the season for them here. Had a couple of quality ones this summer though.

Curly fries are good but beer batter wedges are the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
Thunderstorms are SO RARE around here (California) that EVERYONE worships them (not just me, being the major geography/climate buff).

We get thunder and lightning maybe once every 2 years or so and everyone stops to look out the window at the pretty lights. Once, we had one during a statistics class and the professor stopped teaching so that we could go to the window and watch. Students cheered on the thunder and high fived each other everytime they saw lightning. The only one I know who does not enjoy them is my dog who shakes in terror and hides under the bed (he does that w/ fourth of July fireworks too which are sadly more common than thunderstorms in my neck of the woods).

I've gotten up in the middle of the night to go outside and walk around in the thunderstorm twice.

I know most of the Eastern U.S. gets regular thunderstorms in summer and people don't even notice them unless they are severe. I plan on vacationing to Florida sometime in the next few years and hope to experience some really big ones there (Of course, I'm gonna go there to explore the theme parks and sightsee so I don't want rain the whole trip so ideal situation would be a mixture of sunny weather and stormy weather).

On the flip side, I'm curious to see if there are any parts of the world that NEVER experience thunderstorms (like once every 50 years or even less). It's rare here but once every 2 years is still enough that people still know what it is when they hear it. If it was an event that happened once in a lifetime or less, I would imagine people wouldn't even know what it was when they heard a thunderclap.

Is there anyone on here who has NEVER seen thunder and lightning before?

Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post

On the flip side, I'm curious to see if there are any parts of the world that NEVER experience thunderstorms (like once every 50 years or even less). It's rare here but once every 2 years is still enough that people still know what it is when they hear it. If it was an event that happened once in a lifetime or less, I would imagine people wouldn't even know what it was when they heard a thunderclap.

Is there anyone on here who has NEVER seen thunder and lightning before?
If you have a look at this map many areas over open ocean as well as polar regions very rarely experience thunderstorms. Looks like the only populated areas that go many years without lightning are either cold year-round (Iceland, Greenland, Aleutian Peninsula/Islands) or hyper-arid (coastal Peru, northern Chile, southern Egypt).

Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Thunderstorms are SO RARE around here (California) that EVERYONE worships them (not just me, being the major geography/climate buff).
Funny, I've lived in one of the most thundery cities on earth (Singapore) and found that quite a few people are still excited by them (e.g. to the point of getting out of their flat and taking pictures/videos), usually when they are particularly strong though - I always did There are as many as 168 thunderstorms a year there

Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
If you have a look at this map many areas over open ocean as well as polar regions very rarely experience thunderstorms. Looks like the only populated areas that go many years without lightning are either cold year-round (Iceland, Greenland, Aleutian Peninsula/Islands) or hyper-arid (coastal Peru, northern Chile, southern Egypt).
This would probably be a good example of a place that doesn't even get thunderstorms once in a lifetime then- //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...er-desert.html

Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Ukkonen Helsingissä 8.8.2010 osa 1 - YouTube

Really like this video. Looks like the guy is literally driving into the darkness. Compare the light in the beginning of the video to the last seconds.

Helsinki thunderstorm approaching 8.8.2010 - YouTube

Another one from the same event.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I believe that featured on the news over here.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I believe that featured on the news over here.
Really? But it does look kinda cool.

And in that second video, for once the view from the apartment was nice.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 AM

4 posts, read 5,399 times
I love watching them but thats from comfort of a window lol. I swear thunderstorms were more severe in the UK when I was little. The last one we had they was about 4 rumbles and that was it lol

Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 AM

4 posts, read 5,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lb5hYjeZWM"]Ukkonen Helsingissä 8.8.2010 osa 1 - YouTube[/URL]

Really like this video. Looks like the guy is literally driving into the darkness. Compare the light in the beginning of the video to the last seconds.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdhNO6kxhpM"]Helsinki thunderstorm approaching 8.8.2010 - YouTube[/URL]

Another one from the same event.

See I would truly crap myself seeing that ahead - but it amazing to watch at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather