Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is better for summer?
Cool nights 61 57.55%
Warm nights 45 42.45%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:22 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,960,905 times

Advertisements

15-21C? As soon as it gets above 14C I start to have sleeping difficulties without A/C. Optimum summer sleeping weather for me would be a morning low of 5C. All of this assumes that the daily range is 8-10C or so; if it's 14C 24/7 the problem is lessened to a great degree, though I still prefer cooler nights. The quality of my sleep is much higher when the room is comfortably cool when I go to sleep followed by a gradual cooldown driven by a fresh breeze, so that it feels chilly when I wake up the following morning under my blanket. A chilly room makes me feel refreshed, but in a hot room it seems like I feel sleepier when I get up than when I went to bed. Exaggerated or not, that's not the sort of feeling one wants to have.

As for the nightly cooloff, it depends on your daily range and where you are. The slowest cooloffs are found in humid subtropical climates such as Atlanta. This is from May 25, 2012 and demonstrates a high-humidity cooloff from 91F during the afternoon to 66F the following morning. At 21:00 (when I try to start sleeping) the temperature is still 81F, and stays above 70F until 4:00 the following morning. 70F is about as hot as it can be outside before I can even think about having something vaguely resembling a restful sleep (sans A/C), and it stays at or above that until 4 AM, which takes 7 hours out of my normal sleeping routine (at which time it's almost time to wake up again). It drops to 66F around sunrise, and then rockets up to 70F by 08:00, and 80F by 10:00, eventually reaching a high of 92F at 18:00 the next day. Now you can see my problem with these nights in the mid-60's, assuming high humidity and a decent daily range.

In a West Coast climate like San Diego, it drops to near the morning low quite a bit quicker, as this day demonstrates. It goes down to 64F at sunrise, it's 66F at midnight, and it's 66F when I go to bed at 9 PM the previous night. 60's all night is too warm for comfort, but it's an improvement over Atlanta's cooloff pattern. Of course the fact that SD starts off at 80F as opposed to Atlanta's 91F is a big help, but even on a 101/66F night like this it cools off to 77F by bedtime (too warm for comfort, yes, but it's a big cooldown from 101F).

This is closer to what I prefer - a rapid cooloff that starts at sunset and continues to cool off until sunrise the following morning. It's 81F during the day, but by bedtime it drops to 62F, which is fine to start off the night. By midnight it's 49F and it stays in the 40's for the next few hours, bottoming out at 39F around sunrise. That's a comfortable night if I ever saw one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
If it could stay warm, in the 70s, for an hour or two after sunset, and then drop off into the 58 to 66 degree range after that, that would be great.
That's exactly what happens here in Denver. It can be sunny and 90 during the day (perfect for time at the pool), then once the sun goes down, it cools to very tolerable temps. where you can sit outside and enjoy the evening. Then in the middle of the night sometime, it drops down to upper 50s to low 60s normally. Many people here will have a "whole house" attic fan and they shut off the A/C when they go to bed and suck in the cooler night air while they sleep. Then shut the windows when you wake up to trap in the cool air, and the A/C kicks back in later in the morning when it starts getting hot.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:46 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
15-21C? As soon as it gets above 14C I start to have sleeping difficulties without A/C. Optimum summer sleeping weather for me would be a morning low of 5C. All of this assumes that the daily range is 8-10C or so; if it's 14C 24/7 the problem is lessened to a great degree, though I still prefer cooler nights.
The threshold for too hot to sleep is very dependent on house design and room position (sun exposure, amount of ventilation).

Also good comparison with San Diego and Atlanta, since both have the same daily range.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,781,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
15-21C? As soon as it gets above 14C I start to have sleeping difficulties without A/C. Optimum summer sleeping weather for me would be a morning low of 5C. All of this assumes that the daily range is 8-10C or so; if it's 14C 24/7 the problem is lessened to a great degree, though I still prefer cooler nights. The quality of my sleep is much higher when the room is comfortably cool when I go to sleep followed by a gradual cooldown driven by a fresh breeze, so that it feels chilly when I wake up the following morning under my blanket. A chilly room makes me feel refreshed, but in a hot room it seems like I feel sleepier when I get up than when I went to bed. Exaggerated or not, that's not the sort of feeling one wants to have.

As for the nightly cooloff, it depends on your daily range and where you are. The slowest cooloffs are found in humid subtropical climates such as Atlanta. This is from May 25, 2012 and demonstrates a high-humidity cooloff from 91F during the afternoon to 66F the following morning. At 21:00 (when I try to start sleeping) the temperature is still 81F, and stays above 70F until 4:00 the following morning. 70F is about as hot as it can be outside before I can even think about having something vaguely resembling a restful sleep (sans A/C), and it stays at or above that until 4 AM, which takes 7 hours out of my normal sleeping routine (at which time it's almost time to wake up again). It drops to 66F around sunrise, and then rockets up to 70F by 08:00, and 80F by 10:00, eventually reaching a high of 92F at 18:00 the next day. Now you can see my problem with these nights in the mid-60's, assuming high humidity and a decent daily range.

In a West Coast climate like San Diego, it drops to near the morning low quite a bit quicker, as this day demonstrates. It goes down to 64F at sunrise, it's 66F at midnight, and it's 66F when I go to bed at 9 PM the previous night. 60's all night is too warm for comfort, but it's an improvement over Atlanta's cooloff pattern. Of course the fact that SD starts off at 80F as opposed to Atlanta's 91F is a big help, but even on a 101/66F night like this it cools off to 77F by bedtime (too warm for comfort, yes, but it's a big cooldown from 101F).

This is closer to what I prefer - a rapid cooloff that starts at sunset and continues to cool off until sunrise the following morning. It's 81F during the day, but by bedtime it drops to 62F, which is fine to start off the night. By midnight it's 49F and it stays in the 40's for the next few hours, bottoming out at 39F around sunrise. That's a comfortable night if I ever saw one.
I have to have all the blankets off the bed when it is 12c or above. Its just far too warm for me.I need my night temps to be about 9c to get to sleep. Each year we get like 16/17c mins and that is complete hell, it is awful muggy clammy and drizzly and for some reason it makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic I hate it!!!

I wish my mins were actually lower.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I have to have all the blankets off the bed when it is 12c or above. Its just far too warm for me.I need my night temps to be about 9c to get to sleep. Each year we get like 16/17c mins and that is complete hell, it is awful muggy clammy and drizzly and for some reason it makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic I hate it!!!

I wish my mins were actually lower.
Well sleep with just a sheet.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,073,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Each year we get like 16/17c mins and that is complete hell, it is awful muggy clammy and drizzly and for some reason it makes me feel trapped and claustrophobic I hate it!!!
Very interesting.Low of 16C or 17C and its hell muggy and clammy.

Wish we would have those lows in summer

Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,781,996 times
Yea when we get those lows its like 94percent humidity and cloudy.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,144,810 times
I agree 16-17 C is too warm at night. Here it's only that "cool" for a few hours at most early in the morning before the temperature skyrockets. A house can't cool off sufficiently with such temperatures. Here it's usually still above 21 C during a normal bed time.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

6,479 posts, read 6,114,019 times
I voted for cool, but on the warmer end of cool, so cool-ish... 18 C / 65 F would be ideal. I need 24 hour warmth during the summer, with mild mornings and warm afternoons.

Weather History for Nashville, TN | Weather Underground is an ideal summer day.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM

29,374 posts, read 19,465,103 times
Warm nights easily. There are plenty of cool nights in late spring or early autumn to enjoy. Summer nights with temps bottoming out 18-22C are fine for me. I don't mind nights with minimum temps above 22C either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather