U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 11:22 PM

10,669 posts, read 14,345,531 times

Advertisements

Something odd is going on with the west coast this year. We've even had a relatively dry fall and autumn in rainy Vancouver.. September was the wettest month of the year and wetter than October, November and December here which is very very unusual.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,064 posts, read 3,061,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
With well over 3000 hours of sunshine per year, coastal Southern California is very sunny. From what I've seen it is almost uniformly sunny throughout the year, with only very intermittent cloudiness. So California being sunny is no myth. That said, I respect the fact that it may be too overcast for your taste.

You are correct that there are sunnier places in the United States than LA/San Diego. In fact almost all of the southwest quadrant of the U.S. is as sunny or sunnier than Los Angeles. Yuma sports over 4000 sun hours per year, making it the sunniest weather station in the world. Phoenix sports about 3900 sun hours. Even a climate as cool as Flagstaff has 200 more hours of sunshine annually than Los Angeles. Los Angeles's 3200 sun hour figure is comparable to Denver's 3100 hours.
Southern California and soutwest quadrant of U.S. is sunnier than almost every place in southern Europe.
For instance Madrid or Barcelona in Spain are over 2500 sun hours per year.
Sunniest places in Europe barely reach 3100 sun hours, as Almeria in Spain, Faro in Portugal, most of Cyprus or Crete...
Where I live it's over 2100 hours or so.
I personally think southwestern U.S. may be too sunny for my taste.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:15 PM

5,127 posts, read 7,645,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Southern California and soutwest quadrant of U.S. is sunnier than almost every place in southern Europe.
For instance Madrid or Barcelona in Spain are over 2500 sun hours per year.
Sunniest places in Europe barely reach 3100 sun hours, as Almeria in Spain, Faro in Portugal, most of Cyprus or Crete...
Where I live it's over 2100 hours or so.
I personally think southwestern U.S. may be too sunny for my taste.
The usual cautions about comparing US numbers with those of many other countries apply.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,693,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Something odd is going on with the west coast this year. We've even had a relatively dry fall and autumn in rainy Vancouver.. September was the wettest month of the year and wetter than October, November and December here which is very very unusual.
There's been a stuck a high pressure off the PNW coast. Also responsible for a nearly rainless fall and December in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
also California's been having record breaking drought:

Weather Extremes : California Closes in on Driest Calendar Year on Record | Weather Underground

Year to date, San Francisco has received 5.6", 24% of normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Old 12-25-2013, 01:52 PM

34,605 posts, read 19,421,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Big Sur is the wettest part of the state. But the other day on Weather Channel, a ranger from there said they've barely had any rain there and there are now wildfires up in that area. So sad-I was there in summer and last fall, and it was beautiful and green.
Really? I always thought that the extreme northwest coast of California is the wettest part of the state. The weather there is more like Oregon and the Pacific Northwest rather than the rest of the state which is where the larger cities are located.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,079 posts, read 47,693,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Really? I always thought that the extreme northwest coast of California is the wettest part of the state. The weather there is more like Oregon and the Pacific Northwest rather than the rest of the state which is where the larger cities are located.
Yes. Mostly in the coastal mountains of Del Norte and Humboldt counties.

Big Sur isn't close (off map but check the southern California link).

Precipitation Maps | Western Regional Climate Center

Old 12-25-2013, 05:13 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,164,125 times
verry sunny, even in christmas, with temps in LA Area at 87 degrees.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:13 PM

5,302 posts, read 9,162,622 times
OK. The ranger from Big Sur on the Weather Channel said himself that Big Sur is the wettest part of the state. He was wrong.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:47 PM

11,502 posts, read 10,460,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I also found some data from MeteoChile (though I can't find it now).

If you think however I'm going to waste my time tediously counting the myriads of egregious errors in Wikipedia data, think again. .
Look, you just sourced Arica's climate - That's all I ever wanted. I never asked of you to source every city's climate.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 AM

6,906 posts, read 6,782,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The usual cautions about comparing US numbers with those of many other countries apply.
How many hours less would American cities have if going by the other methods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather