Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times

Advertisements

It seems like there are more places in the U.S. that are significantly sunnier then the Los Angeles/San Diego area. A good portion of the year it seems like we're cloaked in clouds (late March through June) with intermittent coastal overcast throughout the year where the cloud cover doesn't burn off until late afternoon. Kinda depressing if you ask me.
I lived in Northern California (Sacramento) for many years and got used to the abundant year-round sunshine with minimal to no coastal influence. I realized that I need a significant amount of sun every day as I probably suffer from some sort of seasonal affective disorder...although I can feel very down in the summer too when it's overcast all day.
What city in the U.S. has mild year-round temperatures, low humidity, with sunny days year round?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
It seems like there are more places in the U.S. that are significantly sunnier then the Los Angeles/San Diego area. A good portion of the year it seems like we're cloaked in clouds (late March through June) with intermittent coastal overcast throughout the year where the cloud cover doesn't burn off until late afternoon. Kinda depressing if you ask me.
I lived in Northern California (Sacramento) for many years and got used to the abundant year-round sunshine with minimal to no coastal influence. I realized that I need a significant amount of sun every day as I probably suffer from some sort of seasonal affective disorder...although I can feel very down in the summer too when it's overcast all day.
What city in the U.S. has mild year-round temperatures, low humidity, with sunny days year round?
Inland southern calif- Pasadena maybe?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM

477 posts, read 802,619 times
Quote:
Check out Sierra Vista,AZ

It has mild winters and not hot summers (at least by Arizona standards)

Also might want to check out Silver City,NM (though winters are a bit chilly for a Californian)

Both are very sunny, you will not complain about lack of sunshine.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
It's a myth only if you're standards for good sunshine are California. Much of the northern US is far cloudier, let alone other parts of the world. It's very sunny for populated worldwide standards. Los Angeles is much sunnier than anywhere I've lived, though it's not to desert levels. I'd prefer it that way, constant sunshine with no breaks at all is rather dull to me.

Quote:
Sacramento is one of the sunniest places in the world. I'd recommend coastal California but not immediately near the coast. Close enough to get a mild influence but not so close that you get clouds.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
With well over 3000 hours of sunshine per year, coastal Southern California is very sunny. From what I've seen it is almost uniformly sunny throughout the year, with only very intermittent cloudiness. So California being sunny is no myth. That said, I respect the fact that it may be too overcast for your taste.

You are correct that there are sunnier places in the United States than LA/San Diego. In fact almost all of the southwest quadrant of the U.S. is as sunny or sunnier than Los Angeles. Yuma sports over 4000 sun hours per year, making it the sunniest weather station in the world. Phoenix sports about 3900 sun hours. Even a climate as cool as Flagstaff has 200 more hours of sunshine annually than Los Angeles. Los Angeles's 3200 sun hour figure is comparable to Denver's 3100 hours.

Since I prefer no more than 2000 hours of sunshine, all of these places are extremely sunny from my perspective, but I appreciate the fact that the difference between 3000 and 3600 hours could matter greatly to solar-charged people. Fortunately for you, there are sunnier places in the world than your current location.

What you need to do is find a place that has mild temperatures and sunshine figures in excess of Los Angeles. I'm guessing that you don't mind moderately hot summers, since you don't speak negatively of Sacramento. Sierra Vista is a place you should consider, and I'd also recommend you look into Prescott, Arizona, Sacramento, California, Redding, California, Reno, Nevada, and Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
With well over 3000 hours of sunshine per year, coastal Southern California is very sunny. From what I've seen it is almost uniformly sunny throughout the year, with only very intermittent cloudiness. So California being sunny is no myth. That said, I respect the fact that it may be too overcast for your taste.
Agree, though immediately by the coast I suspect sunshine amounts show a sharp decline relative to a bit inland. Clouds take longer to burn off along the coast, though I spent more time further north, the pattern is similar though not as extreme in southern California. Either way, coastal Southern California is probably sunnier than anything in New England but it sounds like that's still too cloudy for the OP.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:23 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post

You are correct that there are sunnier places in the United States than LA/San Diego. In fact almost all of the southwest quadrant of the U.S. is as sunny or sunnier than Los Angeles. Yuma sports over 4000 sun hours per year, making it the sunniest weather station in the world. Phoenix sports about 3900 sun hours. Even a climate as cool as Flagstaff has 200 more hours of sunshine annually than Los Angeles. Los Angeles's 3200 sun hour figure is comparable to Denver's 3100 hours.

Since I prefer no more than 2000 hours of sunshine, all of these places are extremely sunny from my perspective, but I appreciate the fact that the difference between 3000 and 3600 hours could matter greatly to solar-charged people. Fortunately for you, there are sunnier places in the world than your current location.

What you need to do is find a place that has mild temperatures and sunshine figures in excess of Los Angeles. I'm guessing that you don't mind moderately hot summers, since you don't speak negatively of Sacramento. Sierra Vista is a place you should consider, and I'd also recommend you look into Prescott, Arizona, Sacramento, California, Redding, California, Reno, Nevada, and Las Cruces, New Mexico.
Readers should note that claims by Yuma to be "sunniest in the world" need some consideration. Solar calculations mentioned in an earlier thread showed it to have a somewhat lower value, and international comparisons are tricky. Older texts claimed parts of the eastern Sahara had 97% of the possible sunshine, putting it ahead of the likes of Yuma.

The US authorities don't take sunshine measurement very seriously (Blue Hill and the associated commentary excepted obviously). I would suggest international readers take 200-300 hours off quoted US values if any attempt at a comparison is to be made.

In this case of course the OP is already in the US and obviously likes very high sunshine tallies.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The US authorities don't take sunshine measurement very seriously (Blue Hill and the associated commentary excepted obviously). I would suggest international readers take 200-300 hours off quoted US values if any attempt at a comparison is to be made.
Even if US sunshine numbers aren't comparable to worldwide measurements, shouldn't the sunshine measurements of US cities be comparable with themselves assuming the US uses one consistent system?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Even if US sunshine numbers aren't comparable to worldwide measurements, shouldn't the sunshine measurements of US cities be comparable with themselves assuming the US uses one consistent system?
I would expect so, though I think there have been odd comments in older threads about rather casual methods (gaps filled by guesswork etc) in some cases. My research some time back showed San Francisco hadn't measured sunshine since 1974, as I recall it.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Readers should note that claims by Yuma to be "sunniest in the world" need some consideration. Solar calculations mentioned in an earlier thread showed it to have a somewhat lower value, and international comparisons are tricky. Older texts claimed parts of the eastern Sahara had 97% of the possible sunshine, putting it ahead of the likes of Yuma.
According to every source of information I've seen, Yuma's sun hours are the highest sunshine statistics for any weather station in the world and certainly the sunniest town, even if they are a bit overstated relative to other countries. There are likely areas in the world, especially parts of the Sahara, that do have more sunshine than Yuma, but I've never heard of any reliable statistics from those uninhabited regions in the Sahara. I'd genuinely like to see them.

Besides, Yuma is a far more viable move for the OP than some uninhabited location in the Sahara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather