Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get depressed in the winter?
Yes 29 46.03%
No 34 53.97%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:26 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I would say a lot of the time it's warm fronts coming from the Atlantic that cause the drizzle. Because much of the time that it drizzled, the temps were around 10°C. Icelandic Low also plays a part as well, compared to where I live the North American High causes me to have relatively sunny but freezing winters
Yea but it isnt 10c very often in the winter.
Its like 5c most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
how are they over estimated?
NOAA has too generous measurements when it comes to sunshine, like there's a significant discrepancy in sunshine hours between Detroit and Windsor, Ontario when they are only right across the river from each other. Same goes for Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, ON. The Canadian way of measuring sunshine hours was more in line with UK, Australia, NZ, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Yea but it isnt 10c very often in the winter.
Its like 5c most of the time.
Where you live. I was specifically talking about southeastern England to Joe90, since SE UK is the only place I'm familiar with in the Isles.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
NOAA has too generous measurements when it comes to sunshine, like there's a significant discrepancy in sunshine hours between Detroit and Windsor, Ontario when they are only right across the river from each other. Same goes for Niagara Falls, NY and Niagara Falls, ON. The Canadian way of measuring sunshine hours was more in line with UK, Australia, NZ, etc.

Where you live. I was specifically talking about southeastern England to Joe90, since SE UK is the only place I'm familiar with in the Isles.
well sense I'm in the usa i'm going to use noaa readings instead. miami averages 3000-3200 sunshine hours per year.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
well sense I'm in the usa i'm going to use noaa readings instead. miami averages 3000-3200 sunshine hours per year.
Well, you'd be the only American on here that uses that But I'm telling you, US sunshine averages are overestimated. There's even a whole topic on this somewhere in this forum. There's a guy on here that works for the National Weather Service and, he can correct me, but I believe even he has said that NWS sunshine hours are overestimated

Old 04-22-2013, 12:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,466 times
Quote:
Well, you'd be the only American on here that uses that But I'm telling you, US sunshine averages are overestimated. There's even a whole topic on this somewhere in this forum. There's a guy on here that works for the National Weather Service and, he can correct me, but I believe even he has said that NWS sunshine hours are overestimated
really okay i'll give this a shot. just tell me how can you overestimate sun light?

Old 11-06-2014, 01:46 PM

336 posts, read 398,190 times
No, winter really lifts up my spirit
Some great months are ahead of me!

Old 11-06-2014, 01:50 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Yes... It's called "I want to immigrate to Australia syndrome!" LOL

Old 11-06-2014, 02:11 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
No I don 't feel depressed because I love winter. The only thing that sometimes annoys me is the non stop moderate rain in Ioannina! Sometimes I like it sometimes I hate it! But If I have things to do or to spend my time with friends it doesn 't bother me what season we have this moment. :P The key is to find something to do or someone to spend your time and enjoy all the types of weather to avoid depression in every season!

Old 11-06-2014, 02:26 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,580,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkis View Post
No I don 't feel depressed because I love winter. The only thing that sometimes annoys me is the non stop moderate rain in Ioannina! Sometimes I like it sometimes I hate it! But If I have things to do or to spend my time with friends it doesn 't bother me what season we have this moment. :P The key is to find something to do or someone to spend your time and enjoy all the types of weather to avoid depression in every season!
But what if your friends complain about the weather to? Winter is the only time I really complain about the weather... To dark and cold, then people start having convos about going somewhere hot, then I just wish I was out in Aus! God, I'd rather talk about politics, even with most of my friends being left wingers, than being reminded about the horrible existence we call the British winter (November included!)! LOL

Old 11-06-2014, 02:35 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
But what if your friends complain about the weather to? Winter is the only time I really complain about the weather... To dark and cold, then people start having convos about going somewhere hot, then I just wish I was out in Aus! God, I'd rather talk about politics, even with most of my friends being left wingers, than being reminded about the horrible existence we call the British winter (November included!)! LOL
And here in Ioannina too we have most of the winter cloudy, rainy and cold weather but I have things to do! :P I have greek traditional dance lessons 2 times a week, I have to go to my school at university and sometimes in a week I go for a coffee or nights out to have fun till early morning. I walk by the lake and in the castle of Ioannina almost everyday even if it rains or not! I try to enjoy every single day. Also I make some trips in near places whenever they organise trips here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather