Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It looks like North America is an anomaly compared to the rest of the world.
Asia? Other continental climates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 AM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Well sure europe has a continential climate...

Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,535,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well sure europe has a continential climate...

Not western Europe.

Green all year in Nice.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,950,374 times
Cold season grasses stay green through the winter in marine, west coast climates because those climates are wet and relatively mild during that time of year. In colder climates, they go into winter cold dormancy (and turn brown). Warm season grasses are different and will generally be brown during winter in climates where there is some frost even if these climates are otherwise considered to have mild winters. Most turf grass in the southern U.S. is a warm season variety and most of the south is considered to have a mild temperate climate so the grass is brown there in the winter.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
This is a picture of grass in Inner Mongolia in Summer. It looks like an ordinary green color. Now here's a picture from September 2010; it looks like fall has arrived and the grass is turning brown. Now here's a picture of the Tumen River in December 2009 - from what I can see of the grass the coloring is similar to North American grass, i.e. brown. So based on these pictures I'd guess grass in northern China is similar to the U.S. and Canada.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,343,248 times
Grass browns off very quickly once those nasty dry and cold (winter) and suffocating (summer) off-shore westerlies blow, especially around spring. I much prefer green grass and take no pleasure in brown grass at all.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,212,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I think also the snowpack plays a big part. From what I know, hard freezes in the Candadian and US plains can occur much before snow. Here, hard freezes most usually come after the snowpack has formed, protecting the grass from the extreme temperatures.

On the drought side, when do you start to see the changes?
During the summer drought in 2006 the grass turned completely brown, as the conditions were so different from normal. From June 28 to August 14 we (Helsinki) collected 5.0mm of rain, and the grass had big difficulties to recover even if irrigated. Also July had 400 sunshine hours, enhancing the effect.
Otherwise, it's really rare to see the grass turn brown during the summer, as it usually rains a sufficient amount to keep it green. Whatever that amount is.
We can hit -30C before we have snow cover in Saskatchewan. I don't think any grass anywhere will remain green at those temperatures. We also often have dry weather for most of August into September (great harvesting weather) so grass tends to go into dormancy then as well (unless one waters and many on the plains don't...we save money that way and we know once the fall rains start it will green up again).

Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowboundwithCabinFever View Post
We can hit -30C before we have snow cover in Saskatchewan. I don't think any grass anywhere will remain green at those temperatures. We also often have dry weather for most of August into September (great harvesting weather) so grass tends to go into dormancy then as well (unless one waters and many on the plains don't...we save money that way and we know once the fall rains start it will green up again).
This. Our grass loses its lushness in the cooler months, but it takes a series of very cold weather creates more brown grass. I took these photos of Ithaca on Jan 20 this year. Hard to see the grass, but you can see some green:

Look at the January weather. Except for Jan 2-3, most days didn't have means that far below freezing. I suspect afterwards (look how much colder it was afterwards) it would turned truly brown.

Last edited by nei; 04-02-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,582,380 times
There are grasses that turn brown in winter here. Often called Summer Grass (or about a hundred other names), it is usually grown on sandy soils or where summer drought is a given. They are typically are the greenest (non watered ) lawns in summer and brownest in winter. Common in beach suburbs around here or in St Arnaud (the local high altitude town) Very invasive during summer though.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 PM

8,161 posts, read 8,711,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
This is a picture of grass in Inner Mongolia in Summer. It looks like an ordinary green color. Now here's a picture from September 2010; it looks like fall has arrived and the grass is turning brown. Now here's a picture of the Tumen River in December 2009 - from what I can see of the grass the coloring is similar to North American grass, i.e. brown. So based on these pictures I'd guess grass in northern China is similar to the U.S. and Canada.
I think the kind of tall grass/hay visible outside of the snow cover in the winter photo also turns brown in western Europe. Here's a photo taken a couple days ago:
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2597/p1010678o.jpg

But grass stays green, unlike in the US:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2003/p1010681l.jpg

Both types together:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1443/p1010684r.jpg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather