Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM

20,683 posts, read 23,779,379 times

Advertisements

Yes!
I noticed that when it snows the grass on the hills always turns brown. When I was looking up today it was the colour of muck. I will get a pic tomorrow.

Im not sure what the grass is up there. Maybe it isnt grass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM

Here is a picture of our low lying grass:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

And here is a picture of our high level grass:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Yes the snow is melting its 8c and its been there almost two weeks which is exceptional at this time of year.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,842,487 times
The entire US does not have brown grass in the winter. I would say that occurs in the Northern Plains, Upper Midwest, and colder regions of the Mid-Atlantic/New England. In our area the grass doesn't usually goes all brown unless the turf is made up of warm season grasses, or we have an exceptionally cold spell with multiple ice days or below normal rainfall (even in winter coold season grasses require adequate moisture). After the passage of the cold spell the grass will green back unless there is below normal rainfall. The cool season grasses require more rainfall. The grass in winter around where I am will never be as fully lush green as it is in Fall and Spring. In Summer, unless it is cooler and wetter than normal, the cool season grasses will go brown, so unless you have warm weather grasses your lawn will tend to look brown/green.

These are February pics (not this year) 20 miles outside Philly.

In the US South the grass goes brown because of the heavy usage of warm weather grasses, unless overseeding with cool season grass is done in the Fall. The grass in the UK and northern Europe would fry to bits in the summer in the South and even here. This article explains grasses for the South, and how to have year round green grass in the South if people want it. Takes effort though, and makes sense that only homeowners would do it and not public areas due to cost.

Bermuda Grass and Winter Browning

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,478,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The entire US does not have brown grass in the winter. I would say that occurs in the Northern Plains, Upper Midwest, and colder regions of the Mid-Atlantic/New England. In our area the grass doesn't usually goes all brown unless the turf is made up of warm season grasses, or we have an exceptionally cold spell with multiple ice days or below normal rainfall (even in winter coold season grasses require adequate moisture). After the passage of the cold spell the grass will green back unless there is below normal rainfall. The cool season grasses require more rainfall. The grass in winter around where I am will never be as fully lush green as it is in Fall and Spring. In Summer, unless it is cooler and wetter than normal, the cool season grasses will go brown, so unless you have warm weather grasses your lawn will tend to look brown/green.

In the US South the grass goes brown because of the heavy usage of warm weather grasses, unless overseeding with cool season grass is done in the Fall. The grass in the UK and northern Europe would fry to bits in the summer in the South and even here. This article explains grasses for the South, and how to have year round green grass in the South if people want it. Takes effort though, and makes sense that only homeowners would do it and not public areas due to cost.

Good article. Bermuda grass was the grass (summer grass) I was referring to a few posts back. It's very drought tolerant but very invasive, although it has the advantage of being easy to see in winter. I've seen the odd overseeded lawn around here.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Thats what I was thinking and thats why I said earlier that i bet up there in maine they use southern grasses.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,142,263 times
Grass is mostly brown up here now. Not really sure when it'll green up again. I guess sometime later this month or in early May. Unless there's a drought, I have to mow my lawn at least once a week during the summer.

I think autumn is the best time to plant new grass, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM

559 posts, read 744,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Grass is mostly brown up here now. Not really sure when it'll green up again. I guess sometime later this month or in early May. Unless there's a drought, I have to mow my lawn at least once a week during the summer.

I think autumn is the best time to plant new grass, but I could be wrong.
I think the grass will probably start greening up in the last week of April. The cold weather is mostly gone by now I think, and frosts are also becoming more uncommon. When we start getting those milder nights is when it'll start growing.

I think you're right about autumn being the best time to plant grass. I planted some grass last November and it grew like crazy in just 2 days of 60 F, and it even stayed somewhat green through the whole winter!

I've noticed though that the grass seems a LOT more greener from late August to mid December than it does in spring and early summer. I never understood why.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
@tom77falcons

For the early part of the winter, it's common for grass to look like your photo. But by sometime in January a severe cold spell will kick in and the grass will turn brown. Last winter was unusually mild, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Thats what I was thinking and thats why I said earlier that i bet up there in maine they use southern grasses.
No. I suspect the situation is the same as Philadelphia:

Quote:
But a spell with multiple ice days isn't exceptional here; it is almost inevitable here, let alone in Maine. So the same unusual conditions that will brown Philadelphia grass will brown it here, except it's not unusual. I do not believe it is physically possible for plants to remain green when the soil is frozen. The grass type is irrelevant.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 PM

6,909 posts, read 7,628,731 times
Summer grass looks better though.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,342,744 times
Grasses are a spring plant with a little fall rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather