Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.61%
United States 132 64.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:38 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times

Advertisements

Vienna is "oceanic", and I woudn't exactly call it cool and gloomy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna...hy_and_climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 12:52 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

That's actually a borderline oceanic/subtropical climate and the winters are still too cool and cloudy. If I had to a European climate, I'd go for Southern Spain or Italy for more sun.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:04 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

I would call it Cfa. A record minimum low of 11C in July, two summer months just short of a 22C mean, a summer rainfall peak.

I doubt anyone would confuse it with my climate -it looks much closer to someone like NYC.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,324 times
Vienna-Innere Stadt is heavily influenced by the UHI. The "natural" climate there has somewhat colder minima.

This place is still within the built up area, but further outside from the center (and 1981-2010):
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klima_i...3.A4hlter_Orte

Old 05-09-2015, 01:41 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,803,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
Vienna-Innere Stadt is heavily influenced by the UHI. The "natural" climate there has somewhat colder minima.

This place is still within the built up area, but further outside from the center (and 1981-2010):
Klima in Österreich
UHI or not - those summers are impressively warm. gotta be the most subtropical climate in the world at 48N.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:07 PM

100 posts, read 138,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Here's a subtropical climate (Europe has actually large subtropical areas like the Black Sea Coast, the Po Valley, ecc.): Milan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An arid climate: Almería - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And finally a tropical climate (while not being located in Europe, France's overseas department are part of the EU): Nouméa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1) The Humid Subtropical regions of Europe are very, very small, plus are not hot or humid enough and are too easily interchangeable with the Mediterranean climate zone to really count. Nothing compared to the vast swathes of true Humid Subtropical climate of the U.S. Any true Subtropical areas in Europe are so tiny they're micro climatic in nature

2) Almeria is Semi-Arid. Nowhere in Europe is Arid.

3) Nothing compared to the Tropical climates the U.S. Offers. Tropical Rainforest, Tropical Monsoon, and Tropical Savanna in large regions of Florida, Tropical Savanna in far Southern Texas, and Tropical Rainforest and Tropical Savanna in Hawaii, which is much closer and comparable to the geography of North America than any dependency or territory you Europeans feel is right to use. All your examples are loosely connected territories that are halfway across the globe from you or are 100% geographically a part of an entirely different continent with an entirely different climate and geographic makeup. Hawaii is a full-fledged state, and is much closer to the mainland than any of those, plus, it lies on the same tectonic plate as the west coast. Stop this ridiculousness of acting like Tahiti, French Polynesia, Reunion, or French Guiana are at all representative of Europe's climate. I mean, even if I wanted to use the commonwealth of Puerto Rico for the U.S., I would be much more justified in doing so, because it's really close to the U.S. and shares stronger political ties to it than any of your European examples do to Europe.

Even the Semi-Arid regions of Europe are so small, so cold on average, and are so easily interchangeable with the Mediterranean climates, that they're almost not even worth mentioning.

Last edited by dcasey98; 05-09-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 04:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I would call it Cfa. A record minimum low of 11C in July, two summer months just short of a 22C mean, a summer rainfall peak.

I doubt anyone would confuse it with my climate -it looks much closer to someone like NYC.
Though NYC doesn't have a summer rainfall peak, and it's is on the edge of Cfa climate, it's borderline. And so Vienna. There's a large zone of borderline Cfa climate in Europe, in northern Italy away from the coast and much of southeastern Europe (Bucharest is a good example), extending north to Vienna. Most of them seem drier and somewhat cloudier than American Cfa climates, and any climate enough to have a more typical Cfa climate summer in Europe is of the dry summer variety.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasey98 View Post
1) The Humid Subtropical regions of Europe are very, very small, plus are not hot or humid enough and are too easily interchangeable with the Mediterranean climate zone to really count. Nothing compared to the vast swathes of true Humid Subtropical climate of the U.S. Any true Subtropical areas in Europe are so tiny they're micro climatic in nature

2) Almeria is Semi-Arid. Nowhere in Europe is Arid.

3) Nothing compared to the Tropical climates the U.S. Offers. Tropical Rainforest, Tropical Monsoon, and Tropical Savanna in large regions of Florida, Tropical Savanna in far Southern Texas, and Tropical Rainforest and Tropical Savanna in Hawaii, which is much closer and comparable to the geography of North America than any dependency or territory you Europeans feel is right to use. All your examples are loosely connected territories that are halfway across the globe from you or are 100% geographically a part of an entirely different continent with an entirely different climate and geographic makeup. Hawaii is a full-fledged state, and is much closer to the mainland than any of those, plus, it lies on the same tectonic plate as the west coast. Stop this ridiculousness of acting like Tahiti, French Polynesia, Reunion, or French Guiana are at all representative of Europe's climate. I mean, even if I wanted to use the commonwealth of Puerto Rico for the U.S., I would be much more justified in doing so, because it's really close to the U.S. and shares stronger political ties to it than any of your European examples do to Europe.

Even the Semi-Arid regions of Europe are so small, so cold on average, and are so easily interchangeable with the Mediterranean climates, that they're almost not even worth mentioning.
Humid Subtropical areas are larger than you think, they are found on the Black Sea coast in Romania and Bulgaria, in the Po Valley, the Garonne Valley and the Rhone Valley.

Atyurau is on the boundary between Europe and Asia and completely meets the requirements that make it an arid climate and so do many areas in the Caspian depression around the Volga estuary. Atyrau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida isn't tropical, stop with this bullsh!t, a tropical climate doesn't reach temperatures as cold as even Southern Florida does, the same goes for Southern Texas, both are transitional areas between subtropical and tropical climates Hawaai is the only tropical area in the USA, if we counted France departments we'd have French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Reunion which have all kinds of tropical climates.
Semi Arid are also larger than you think, they extend from the Caspian Sea all the wa to the Danube Delta in Romania, i can show you several places which meet the requirements for this climate.

Although i'm not too fond of it (too basic and simple), these map shows that both semi arid and subtropical climates are much more common than you think: https://drmrenfrew.files.wordpress.c...rope-atlas.gif

Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 PM

100 posts, read 138,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Humid Subtropical areas are larger than you think, they are found on the Black Sea coast in Romania and Bulgaria, in the Po Valley, the Garonne Valley and the Rhone Valley.

Atyurau is on the boundary between Europe and Asia and completely meets the requirements that make it an arid climate and so do many areas in the Caspian depression around the Volga estuary. Atyrau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida isn't tropical, stop with this bullsh!t, a tropical climate doesn't reach temperatures as cold as even Southern Florida does, the same goes for Southern Texas, both are transitional areas between subtropical and tropical climates Hawaai is the only tropical area in the USA, if we counted France departments we'd have French Guyana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Reunion which have all kinds of tropical climates.
Semi Arid are also larger than you think, they extend from the Caspian Sea all the wa to the Danube Delta in Romania, i can show you several places which meet the requirements for this climate.

Although i'm not too fond of it (too basic and simple), these map shows that both semi arid and subtropical climates are much more common than you think: https://drmrenfrew.files.wordpress.c...rope-atlas.gif
Southern Florida and far south Texas are solid Tropical. Multiple climatologists consider them so, they average in the 60's in the winter, and they've never gotten snow in their history, plus they support vegetation that Subtropical climates can't. Stop about that, let's have no more pretense, there is no such thing as a 'transitional' zone, so whatever your opinion, South Florida, far South Texas, and Hawaii are without a doubt tropical, a climate Europe can't honestly say it has. If anything, Central Florida is transitional, as is South-Central Texas, but, again: far South Texas and surrounding barrier islands: Tropical Savanna. South and parts of Central Florida: Tropical Rainforest, Tropical Savanna, and Tropical Monsoon, and Hawaii: Tropical Rainforest and Tropical Savanna. Seriously, one visit to South Florida in winter should really dispel those ridiculous myths. Far from bullish!t, I love how you act like its some outlandish statement pulled out of my a$$, when, again, it's readily accepted by multiple climatologists, and the ecology of those areas, even some areas in the Deep South, are solidly Tropical. If you include all those overseas territories, I can include Puerto Rico as well. It's far closer to the U.S., and therefore represents it's geography and climate far more than your examples of Europe's 'Tropical' climates. France's overseas departments are considered separate entities from Metropolitan France, plus, no, you are not allowed French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, or Reunion. Refer to what I previously said. They have weaker political ties than the actual STATE of Hawaii, plus they belong to ENTIRELY DIFFERENT CONTINENTAL LANDMASSES! I don't know how you possibly feel justified in saying Reunion, Guadeloupe, or French Guiana are at all representative of Europe's climate or geography when they are located at extreme distances from the landmass of Europe, and owe all their geography to completely different continents. Hawaii is the closest Pacific island to the U.S., is located in the North Pacific, and is located on the same continental plate as the west coast, and again, it's a state, no different than Florida or California or Arizona is. All your 'Subtropical' climates are borderline, and they really aren't that plentiful. Most of them are Mediterranean according to most climatologists, and the same can be said of your Semi-Arid climates.

I find it hilarious that you are trying to throw stones at our clear and obvious Tropical climates, when you're entire continent of Europe barely displays examples of an adequate Subtropical climate. Europe is really gloomy and homogenous climate wise. It's mostly Maritime and Continental, with a Mediterranean climate that's the same size as ours, and slightly colder.

Your map simply replaces the true Mediterranean climate of Southern Europe with this 'Subtropical Dry' climate type that no normal climatologist recognizes. No, you have no Humid Subtropical climate zone. Plus, it's from a random poster on WordPress. And the map confirms my earlier comment that the Semi-Arid climate regions of Europe are very small, and they, as well, are interchangeable with Mediterranean and do indeed get rather cold.

Besides, the US's southernmost continental point lies at 23 degrees north in the Florida Keys, right on the Tropic of Cancer. In the 50 states, it's 18 degrees north. Have you ever seen the Netflix drama "Bloodlines?" It uses South Florida as a setting, and if that doesn't look Tropical to you (it is,) then nowhere should.

Last edited by dcasey98; 05-09-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
I said Europe earlier on. I change my opinion.

USA has California, which is almost akin to Sydney temperature wise (if not its rainfall) and it's sunny all year round.

The best climates in Europe is Gibraltar. But that's just one dot in a rather massive continent. And not to mention, the big flaw these European Mediterranean climates have is their very wet, gloomy winters (Gibraltar isn't that bad, check out Valencia and Barcelona).

Other than that, most of Europe is a rather gloomy continent as a whole - Their winters are bleak. USA at least has areas with sunny winters, even if cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather