Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.78%
United States 131 64.22%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,599,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Oh kind of a let down now. That water is kind of cold in summer. More like California. I thought it was the Med. Never mind lol
I know mate.

Nope, they are in the Atlantic.

You can have those ones on the Med too.

source for all of the pics: https://www.abc-mallorca.es/majores-playas-de-mallorca/

https://www.descobreixmenorca.com/wp...acio_desti.jpg

https://www.escapadarural.com/blog/w...acarelleta.jpg

(click also the 2 last urls to see the pics)

in this case... the sea temperature during the summer is 24-26ºC (75-79F)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I wouldn't consider a great deal of the US to be livable throghout the entire year due to freezing winters or hot, sticky summers. Europe in general does better in terms of moderation, although it definitely has its own extremes, particularly in the far north and east.

The problem with eastern US climates in general is that if you want milder winters than where I live, you get hotter and more humid summers. And the summer here has a July mean of like 79F. A summer like that is warmer than the majority of Europe. To get a winter with a mean temp over 50F, like Charleston SC, you also have to deal with summer mean temp of 81F and high dewpoints. I think you have to go to southern Greece for that. Even Malaga has cooler summers than Charleston.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,530,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
ehh maybe once and a blue moon they do. The Med's SST's aren't anything near the Gulf Coast though. I swim comfortably in South Beach in March on spring break.

My favorite place in Europe is well of course the place where I was born. Kefallonia Greece.

My favorite climate in the US is South Dakota for it's extreme variety, though I wouldn't move there because there is simply nothing to do... Plus, I figure my tastes in climate will change by the time I'm 60.. Old bones don't do well in extreme changes in temp as seen on the Great Plains. Florida or South Texas are places I am considering retiring to in 15+ years. Already own a house in San Antonio, considering buying around Tampa

Oh and don't forget Puerto Rico is part of the US too. Some of the best beaches that I have even been too.
Didn't you just say your favorite temperatures in summer was in the 60's and 70's? That you couldn't stand heat?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:09 AM

7,198 posts, read 3,054,741 times
Sveti Stefan, Montenegro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sveti_Stefan

Old 04-27-2017, 12:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,530,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino Bellov View Post
What a ****ty beach!

Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
South Beach isn't the Gulf Coast though.

The United States is more to my liking. More hot summer/cold winter climates there. In Europe, it seems you either get one or the other, which sucks IMO.

Southeastern Europe is not well represented on this forum, but a place like Plovdiv get decently cold in winter and warmer summers. Baltimore type winters with NYC type summers. Just less rainy and humid in summer.

Seems the tendency of many of us on this forum is to focus on the milder climates of Western Europe and act like that is representative of all of Europe. Many areas of Central and Eastern Europe have cold winters.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Looks nice but where is the sand?

Old 04-27-2017, 12:20 AM

1,916 posts, read 1,450,145 times
USA by a mile because it has more locales with climates that fit my needs than Europe. Except for a few locales in East Europe, none of Europe's climates satisfy both requirements I have for a good climate which are a cold winter and a hot summer.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 AM

7,198 posts, read 3,054,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
What a ****ty beach!
Montenegro is very diverse for such a small country in geography, climate and flora and fauna.

The wettest populated place is Crkvice in Montenegro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crkvice

The longest canyon in Europe and second longest in the world (after Grand Canyon) is Tara River Canyon in Montenegro
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_(river)

Old 04-27-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:

The waters of the Med are nice and clear and blue. Oligotrophic for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather