Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.61%
United States 132 64.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Fine, but you initially said warmer winters, not milder winters. If someone wants warmer winters the US has more to offer. Including in places close to skiing.

And again, your New Zealand oceanic climates are not typical of most oceanic climates: most people who want an oceanic climate will want something like Ireland.

So what you're really saying is that if someone wants a climate like New Zealand, they should look in New Zealand. Which is of course true, but ultimately not that helpful.
What I am really saying, is that the US is limited in it's range of oceanic climates -a freshly squeezed OJ, and an afternoon's skiing, isn't a happening thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I can understand people would prefer NZ over Ireland, for the general mildness of the climate and more sunshine. The closest comparison would be SW France and NW Spain, but as for the U.S. I cannot really see anything similar. As Joe said, the PNW has a distinctive rainy winters / dry summers pattern which is not that common (or that strong) in other Cfb climates. And winters are still colder than NZ. Other places in the U.S. which feature mild/warm winters do have hot steaming long summers.

Every place is unique I guess.
Yep, no Biarritz, Vigo or Tauranga in the US -quite a gap, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:53 PM

5,726 posts, read 3,506,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What I am really saying, is that the US is limited in it's range of oceanic climates -a freshly squeezed OJ, and an afternoon's skiing, isn't a happening thing.

Yep, no Biarritz, Vigo or Tauranga in the US -quite a gap, imo.
Orange trees have precious little to do with Oceanic climates. Please stop bringing them into the equation. And you're wrong about the skiing too.

I agree, the US is limited in its range of oceanic climates. But again, someone looking for oceanic climates is going to imagine a place like Ireland and not New Zealand. Why? Because the majority of places with oceanic climates are much more like Ireland. New Zealand is the exception, not the rule.

On the other hand, someone looking for mild winters and wet summers and skiing through the orange groves may indeed like what they see in New Zealand. But said person is not looking for an oceanic climate--at least not in the traditional and commonly-used sense of the word.

Finally, if someone is looking for warm winters they'll skip over New Zealand entirely. Every time I go to Brisbane the place is full of Kiwis looking to warm up.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:36 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I like the extremes that can occur with more frequency here than pretty much anywhere else on the planet

Like 99 degrees (37C) in Oklahoma on February 11th

And now in May there's a straight up blizzard in Kansas and Nebraska

Though I much rather have the 99F than a blizzard in May
37C in February

I wonder how people managed in these places before modern meteorology?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:46 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,407,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
United States.
I want to change the vote. Europe has more desirable area to live.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:57 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Orange trees have precious little to do with Oceanic climates. Please stop bringing them into the equation. And you're wrong about the skiing too.

I agree, the US is limited in its range of oceanic climates. But again, someone looking for oceanic climates is going to imagine a place like Ireland and not New Zealand. Why? Because the majority of places with oceanic climates are much more like Ireland. New Zealand is the exception, not the rule.

On the other hand, someone looking for mild winters and wet summers and skiing through the orange groves may indeed like what they see in New Zealand. But said person is not looking for an oceanic climate--at least not in the traditional and commonly-used sense of the word.

Finally, if someone is looking for warm winters they'll skip over New Zealand entirely. Every time I go to Brisbane the place is full of Kiwis looking to warm up.
Where is that shot of orange groves and snow capped mountains? Cool contrasts.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,374 times
Quote:

The north coast of Spain or the SW coast of France have marvelous Oceanic climates too buddy...

Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM

5,726 posts, read 3,506,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Where is that shot of orange groves and snow capped mountains? Cool contrasts.
Sorry, I forgot to give credit where credit is due. Apparently it's an old shot in Redlands, CA.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/90635011225537936/

There's actually a lot of nice photos on that page. Worth checking out.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Oranges have everything to do with the discussion, as the topic is tastes in climate -totally subjective.

Nice photo, but it really just backs up my claim.

Quote:
The average person doesn't really know what an oceanic climate is imo.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what they looking for, it's still an oceanic climate.

Quote:
Sure, but the skiing is a bit non existent.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:32 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,322,053 times
There are very few excellent climates in the US, just tiny pieces of Cali and Oregon. In Europe on the other hand, anything on the Mediterranean, or anywhere in Western Europe below 45N is going to have a majestic climate. Even the continental Balkans have very nice continental climates. Just look at Skopje https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skopje#Climate This is a beautiful four season climate with a quick warmup in March and nice humidity, a million times better than anything you can find in the eastern 2/3rds of the US at the same latitude

Good luck trying to find climates like these in the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubrovnik
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1laga#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlor%C3%AB#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisbon#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palermo#Climate

Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I like the extremes that can occur with more frequency here than pretty much anywhere else on the planet

Like 99 degrees (37C) in Oklahoma on February 11th

And now in May there's a straight up blizzard in Kansas and Nebraska

Though I much rather have the 99F than a blizzard in May

blizzard in february and 99F in may is great, but the other way around at the same place is kinda annoying methinks. I like variety but that's a bit too much for me to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather