Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region has overall better climate?
Europe 73 35.61%
United States 132 64.39%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The Canaries and Azores are fully integrated into their respective countries and therefore are part of Europe. Hawaii is fully integrated into USA, and should also be included. Puerto Rico is a separate country that happens to be a territory of the US, and should not be included.

In the US the tropical area is very small compared to the country as a whole. Extreme S. Florida and Hawaii make up a tiny portion of the US. Also, the Med area in the US is relatively small.

I don't think Europe has a Palm Springs, or Phoenix, Yuma, Tucson, type desert area either. However, large swaths of the US are continental with either subtropical winters or cold winters. The diff is that the subtropical areas of Europe do not get as severe cold as often as the inland subtropical areas of the US South. There is nothing like Jackson, MS in Europe. I'm not saying it's better, just that it doesn't exist there. Jackson can get very cold in winter compared to Europe and the US coastal South.

Joe90 makes a good point about the PAC NW compared to NW Spain. You will not find a Bilbao in the PAC NW. The US lacks a true humid, mild/temperate climate with rainfall evenly distributed throughout the year. I'm talking about a place that would have, as the other poster mentioned, a place with a Boston summer, and a Houston winter. In Europe, a place like Cadiz gets a lot closer to that type climate more than anywhere in the US.

In the US, most places with a mild winter have a really, humid hot summer. In Europe, you get mild winter climates without the brutal heat in the warm season. I'm thinking of the Spanish Med or France, Croatia, etc.
blah blah blah again canaries are not in europe. i studies travel and tourism with geography for 4 years and im not even going to discuss it any further because a lot of people here have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:45 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
blah blah blah again canaries are not in europe. i studies travel and tourism with geography for 4 years and im not even going to discuss it any further because a lot of people here have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
Give me one logic explanation why the Canary Islands aren't as much Spain as Hawaii is US.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times
Quote:
I'm gonna have to agree with the European posters on here. If we're going to include Alaska and Hawaii in the US, then it makes sense to include France's external territories, most of which are integral parts of France (départments). France also has non-integral territories as well just like we do. If you don't want to include Europe's external territories, then it only makes sense to compare continental Europe and Britain to the Lower 48.

Anyways, I vote Europe. Much more stable climate patterns. Here it's either too hot or too cold in most areas of the country. Too extreme

Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,823 times
Quote:
the thread is about UNITED STATES vs Europe, not north America :P

This is why I think it is nonsense to compare always USA vs Europe... as we always see in this forum. We have to always explain that Europe is not a country. But if we want to be fair play and include overseas territories, whatever they are geographically external of the continent "Europe" (well, Europe is not even a continent actually!) or external to the "mainland USA"...

Patrix: the peripherical regions of the European union:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9...iph%C3%A9rique
These are the regions that belong to the European union, but situated oversea, the same way Hawai is in relation to the US

Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with the European posters on here. If we're going to include Alaska and Hawaii in the US, then it makes sense to include France's external territories, most of which are integral parts of France (départments). France also has non-integral territories as well just like we do. If you don't want to include Europe's external territories, then it only makes sense to compare continental Europe and Britain to the Lower 48.

Anyways, I vote Europe. Much more stable climate patterns. Here it's either too hot or too cold in most areas of the country. Too extreme

I voted Europe for the same reason. Seems the US is the outlier compared to a lot of places around the globe. Australia has quite a few places with mild winters and warm summers.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:15 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Give me one logic explanation why the Canary Islands aren't as much Spain as Hawaii is US.
they are spanish but they are not part of europe, is that difficult to understand? they are geographically and OFFICIALLY in Africa but happen to be "owned" by Spain, and this thread is about Europe (geographically) and canaries are not.

how on earth can you count french guyana etc as europe, and even if you take away hawaii from the us you still have Miami and the rest of southern florida which is tropical, you do not have that in europe, you also dont have anything like hpoenix or palm springs in europe either

Last edited by patrix542; 04-08-2013 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

In the US, most places with a mild winter have a really, humid hot summer. In Europe, you get mild winter climates without the brutal heat in the warm season. I'm thinking of the Spanish Med or France, Croatia, etc.
So the California coastline is NOT part of the U.S?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,811 times
A number of people seem to be arguing based on the proportion of the land area that is oceanic vs continental, mild vs extreme, etc. I just want to point out that the vast majority of Europe, practically the entire area between Switzerland and the Ural mountains, north of the Balkan mountains and the Black Sea, is continental. Russia is also part of Europe, and the entire European Union makes up less than half of Europe's land area.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,462,811 times
Here is the map for convenience:

Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,923,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
So the California coastline is NOT part of the U.S?
Of course it is, albeit a very narrow strip before the heat becomes very high in summer.

Show me a climate on the CA coast like Genoa Italy or Split, Croatia. I'm talking more about rainfall pattern, yet with still mild winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather