Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,214,078 times

Advertisements

Spring is definitely not here! We still look like we are in the beginning of January (with January's snow as well as November's, December's, February's, March's and April's....with more falling as I speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 AM

191 posts, read 163,648 times
How about here? In my area, it's 71°F (22°C), with mostly sunny skies, a light north breeze, and the dogwoods are in full bloom. I even found a caterpillar.

Last edited by Azula; 04-13-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-13-2013, 05:27 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Another place that comes to mind is the Pacific Northwest - they are reputed to have very long Springs, and having A/C turned off most of the summer is pretty common.
Yep, Spring is very long in the PNW. I'd say we have Spring weather from March through June and up to the beginning of July, sometimes even as early as February, although the weather before April isn't usually very consistently "pleasant". It snowed in Bellingham, WA today.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM

486 posts, read 863,071 times
Yes, the temperature fluctuates but opened the windows and I could smell "Spring."
The trees have buds, see some leaves forming & birds building their nests, It may be short, seems like it's getting hotter earlier and lasts longer, but alas its here (in the midwest).

Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
??

We have data that goes back over 100yrs for some spots. I urge you to spend a day and look through the temps for "SPRING". I guarantee you that this has been happening forever. Its called transition. You're locations so happens to be in the prime spots for a lifting and sagging Jet stream.

Try looking at "some" areas of California where temps are more steadier. But rest assure, more likely you'll find these flucuations from very warm to very cold in March & April and even into May.
This is true for the Midwest as well. 80 one day, low 40s the next, followed by a 50, then a 60 degree day.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM

477 posts, read 802,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
This is true for the Midwest as well. 80 one day, low 40s the next, followed by a 50, then a 60 degree day.
Similar scenario here, up and down like a roller coaster.

Grass is nice and green now and I have some flowers blooming in my front yard.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Max temps around 45-55°F with sunny spells here, I guess that is what u would call spring.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,560 times
Spring in the eastern US is typically quite variable in eastern North America, inter-annually and day to day.

I really suggest a west coast city. Seattle might be too rainy for your tastes, but San Francisco has a great spring if no real summer after or winter before. Very sunny, very stable temperatures, still green from winter rains, and lots of flowers.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Spring in the eastern US is typically quite variable in eastern North America, inter-annually and day to day.

I really suggest a west coast city. Seattle might be too rainy for your tastes, but San Francisco has a great spring if no real summer after or winter before. Very sunny, very stable temperatures, still green from winter rains, and lots of flowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Coastal areas, such as Long Island or coastal southern New England, might be best, as the coast tempers extreme heat and cold snaps during the spring.

To be fair to the climate patterns of the USA….while both of you are correct… I think in terms of what most people hope for in spring weather (increasingly warm weather and sunshine) can be misleading;

In the climate atlas I have, it indeed shows that the upper West Coast/PNW and coastal New England (from Boston northward to Portland, ME) have the least variable spring weather in the USA. The cool ocean waters in both locations keep temps in check. However, in terms of “warmth” or “warming spring weather” ….typically that is another matter;

Both coastal New England and the coastal PNW have few warm days (60 F or higher) in early spring, and are often stuck in the 50’s with periodic low stratus clouds. While it’s true the Midwest has much more variable spring temps, one in more likely to see a warm day in St’ Louis or Chicago than in Boston or Seattle. In terms of the Middle Atlantic, on average, it’s not even close – a station like Baltimore or Wilmington, Del will see far more warm days and sunshine in early sping than coastal New England or the coastal PNW ever will (esp in the case of the PNW – in April it is still the cloudiest region on the USA mainland).

A quick shot of this April is typical; A station in the Mid Atlantic (Wilmington, Del) has had 11 days of 60 F or higher…Coastal New England (Boston) had only 4…and an upper West Coast city (Seattle) could only manage 2:

I think “stable spring temps” should not be confused with “warm spring temps”. Coastal Alaska has stable spring temps too.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 04-17-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
BBC Weather : New York - NYC forecast, it seems like spring to me, so it still exists

BBC Weather : Atlanta - Atlanta

BBC Weather : Warsaw - Warsaw, Poland

BBC Weather : Cologne/Bonn - Stuttgart, Germany

Spring is still alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather