Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
Don't bother arguing with those two. They'll come to their senses when half of Bridgeport city center gets flooded on a weekly basis.

It is more fun to wait and watch all those folks in FL as their homes will slowly sink under the ever rising tides. Their Gov down there is a hard right Republican and is anti-science. I would like not one dime of tax money to help out FL when it sinks, since they fight any change tooth and nail. Even if you don't believe in climate change, you shouldn't be against finding other cleaner energy sources. Their mantra is "drill baby, drill".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 11:39 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Don't bother arguing with them. They'll come to their senses when half of Bridgeport city center gets flooded every time the tide comes in.
Check out the latest map. In case you didn't know, there are cities, population, and life outside there. Don't worry we aren't all dying..

FYI.. Hurricane Sandy had a water surge of 10 FEET & 32 foot waves. Yes, destroyed the beaches, flooded coastal homes & communities but guess what..... what percentage of the population was that?? We do have abilities to move and doesn't even have to be far from the spot!
And you're worried about .03" a year??? 10 FEET couldn't even touch 1/2 mile inland and check out the elevation map when you have a chance.. Now we're going off topic too much..

Old 09-13-2016, 01:33 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check out the latest map. In case you didn't know, there are cities, population, and life outside there. Don't worry we aren't all dying..

FYI.. Hurricane Sandy had a water surge of 10 FEET & 32 foot waves. Yes, destroyed the beaches, flooded coastal homes & communities but guess what..... what percentage of the population was that?? We do have abilities to move and doesn't even have to be far from the spot!
And you're worried about .03" a year??? 10 FEET couldn't even touch 1/2 mile inland and check out the elevation map when you have a chance.. Now we're going off topic too much..
I'm at 280 feet, it would take exactly all the ice sheets to melt off before the water even touches me.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:02 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I was only making a point, I'm aware that your area will probably be fine unless all of the ice melts, which is unlikely and if it did happen would take hundreds of years. But try saying "you'll be just fine" to the residents of places like Miami, where the highest point in the whole city is only 7m above sea level (and that's a small, isolated ridge that occupies a tiny portion of the city), or New Orleans, where 51% of the city sits below sea level and the ground continues to sink to this day. Not only are these cities coastal and low-lying, but they are also very prone to hurricanes as well. Imagine if Katrina happened almost every year.

And that's just the USA. How about Dhaka in Bangladesh? Flat, coastal location, and already extremely stormy and flood-prone. That place is getting washed away if people aren't careful. Stockholm sits on 14 small islands. I don't think it would take much rise to destroy some fairly substantial areas. And don't even get me started on Amsterdam.

It depresses me that people can look at all of this and just dismiss it as "oh, it'll be fine".

Just so you know, this is not intended to be a personal attack on Cambium and chicagogeorge. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and they have theirs, and that's fine. I'm just pointing out how bad climate change can get.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:19 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Quote:
I was only making a point, I'm aware that your area will probably be fine unless all of the ice melts, which is unlikely and if it did happen would take hundreds of years. But try saying "you'll be just fine" to the residents of places like Miami, where the highest point in the whole city is only 7m above sea level (and that's a small, isolated ridge that occupies a tiny portion of the city), or New Orleans, where 51% of the city sits below sea level and the ground continues to sink to this day. Not only are these cities coastal and low-lying, but they are also very prone to hurricanes as well. Imagine if Katrina happened almost every year.

And that's just the USA. How about Dhaka in Bangladesh? Flat, coastal location, and already extremely stormy and flood-prone. That place is getting washed away if people aren't careful. Stockholm sits on 14 small islands. I don't think it would take much rise to destroy some fairly substantial areas. And don't even get me started on Amsterdam.

It depresses me that people can look at all of this and just dismiss it as "oh, it'll be fine".

Just so you know, this is not intended to be a personal attack on Cambium and chicagogeorge. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and they have theirs, and that's fine. I'm just pointing out how bad climate change can get.
Is climate change dangerous? Yes. Completely? No. Does it have benefits to humans? Yes, especially global warming. Can we stop it or change it? NOPE. why? Climates change all the time, so the best course of action is to better our forecasting abilities into the future and learn to ADAPT. Not waste money on stopping climate change which is an illogical fallacy as climates ALWAYS change. Climate is constantly changing.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM

206 posts, read 90,795 times
Human Caused Climate change is a myth. Global Temps have been warmer the last 150 years or so due to temperature recovery from the cold 16th-early 19th centuries.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
Quote:
Stockholm sits on 14 small islands.
I'm not too worried about Stockholm. It's not Venice-like islands. Swedish islands almost invariably contain hills and rugged coastlines. Apart from the immediate shorelines that are lowered and controlled by flood controls, the entire city is at 20-40 metres elevation.

Other near-coastal areas rise rather quickly when compared to the Atlantic coastlines. I live 200 metres from an inlet of the sea. My apartment stands at 13 m asl, in spite of hardly feeling any drop going down to the shoreline. This is because the water levels are very low and the land pretty much starts at 3-4 m asl.

Sweden is therefore not under any particular threat from a sea level rise at least limited to 10 metres, and it's hardly gone up by nothing here in the last 100 years. The water level is exactly the same.

The European cities apart from Holland I'd mainly be worried about would be Ostend, Portsmouth and Brighton and perhaps Sweden's far south coastline where I have never visited. The rest of the Northern European coastlines are fine.

Portsmouth is easily fixed albeit expensive should stuff go south. There are tons of hills around it at 30-110 m asl where the people could be moved to.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,968,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I'm not too worried about Stockholm. It's not Venice-like islands. Swedish islands almost invariably contain hills and rugged coastlines. Apart from the immediate shorelines that are lowered and controlled by flood controls, the entire city is at 20-40 metres elevation.

Other near-coastal areas rise rather quickly when compared to the Atlantic coastlines. I live 200 metres from an inlet of the sea. My apartment stands at 13 m asl, in spite of hardly feeling any drop going down to the shoreline. This is because the water levels are very low and the land pretty much starts at 3-4 m asl.

Sweden is therefore not under any particular threat from a sea level rise at least limited to 10 metres, and it's hardly gone up by nothing here in the last 100 years. The water level is exactly the same.

The European cities apart from Holland I'd mainly be worried about would be Ostend, Portsmouth and Brighton and perhaps Sweden's far south coastline where I have never visited. The rest of the Northern European coastlines are fine.

Portsmouth is easily fixed albeit expensive should stuff go south. There are tons of hills around it at 30-110 m asl where the people could be moved to.
Post-glacial rebound is probably helping you out as well.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:00 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Post-glacial rebound is probably helping you out as well.
That's at Höga Kusten (The high coastline) in North Central Sweden, so that's far from where I'm at, but I guess there is a small rebound elsewhere too. Where I live used to be below water after the last ice age, with the coastline perhaps 25 miles inland.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:03 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,205 times
Interesting fact about that: The island of Great Britain is actually slowly "tilting" - rising in the north and sinking in the south, because of that rebound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather