Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 11:00 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London: 218 h (23.5°C)
Eastbourne: 253 h (20.6°C)
Southampton: 222 h (22.4°C)
Shanklin: 262 h (20.4°C)
Bournemouth: 232 h (22.1°C)
Torquay: 225 h (20.8°C)
Nelson 267h, Blenheim 265h Tekapo 260h, Cromwell 250h.

But see also my earlier reply - annual sunshine was my subject.

One of the points that posters ignorant of NZ always fail to understand is the lack of a strong summer-winter divide in sunshine distribution, particularly in the South Island.

Given my priorities in climate parameters, I have no trouble at all in distinguishing NZ from the UK, and no desire to experience the climates of the latter, even the southernmost ones. I can't turn NZ into an arid zone or a Med. type place, but equally I don't wish to live in the world's cloudier zones, either.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:16 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
I guess the point us NZ posters are tryng to get across is that NZ is far warmer and sunnier than the UK. No one is trying to suggest that anywhere in NZ has a Mediterranean / subtropical climate comparable with the likes of Nice, etc.

Wavehunter can spend hours and hours trolling through travel blogs for accounts of Scottish weather in NZ. But the numbers don't lie.

Yes, NZ has a mediocre climate. But I wouldn't trade it for that of the British Isles (or Northern France) in a million years.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
I guess the point us NZ posters are tryng to get across is that NZ is far warmer and sunnier than the UK. No one is trying to suggest that anywhere in NZ has a Mediterranean / subtropical climate comparable with the likes of Nice, etc.

Wavehunter can spend hours and hours trolling through travel blogs for accounts of Scottish weather in NZ. But the numbers don't lie.

Yes, NZ has a mediocre climate. But I wouldn't trade it for that of the British Isles (or Northern France) in a million years.
Precisement! (yes, I know the "acute" symbols are missing).

Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 AM

Just as a postscript to one of the comments which included a map - there should have been a largeish area marked as "no available data". And a region marked as "less than 1400" is based on a single site very close to the Franz Josef glacier terminal, with a large daylight loss. Its mean was about 1185 hours - but a more recent airfield site not many kms to the west shows an average of about 1700. Not a good number, but for a non-tropical location with over 5000mm of rainfall per year it's surprisingly high.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I agree somewhat. A person from a hot and humid summer area may find the summer in Nelson very comfortable, but certainly not as hot as they would normally have in their hometown.

Visiting the UK in May one year I found it nice and warm in London and Manchester. Temps were in the 70's with clear, blue skies. If the whole summer was like that for me, it would be very comfortable, and I would get used to it, but I would never think it as warm or hot as what I'm used to for summer.
I think cooler would be a better choice of word, rather than comfortable, when describing a Nelson summer. There isn't much that's comfortable about the sun, on about half of the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Jeez, kinda harsh to a tourist to your country. That post was from January 2010, not anytime recently, but certainly the height of your summer.

I enjoy travel blogs, and I have to be honest in saying you invariably come across the traveller that leaves nothing but sunshine in Australia only to find British weather in NZ.

Here is another that I found in like a two minute search:

Rain Rain go away - Nelson, New Zealand Travel Blog

We arrived in Motueka, west of Nelson, on Tuesday to what I can only describe as "british" weather! The sky was a mass of dark grey and it continued to rain non stop for 24 hours! Needless to say it was a pretty bleak day! We stopped off at the I site (information) who told us it was set in for the next few days!
The summer rainfall and sunshine hours here, are a close match for Philadelphia, so I guess you would have a good idea what it would be like here, in that regard. Do you regard your summer rainfall/sunshine stats as British weather, because it has heavy rain at times?

Post edit: I see that the blog is only 2 days old. There was 88mm/3.5 inches on that day (13th April) with a maximum temp of 21C. Does that sound like typical British mid October weather? That's 6 weeks worth of London's rain in one day and a maximum 6C warmer than London's October average. Congratulations- you've just posted a link that disproves your own point.

Good blog btw. I might start reading more of them.

Last edited by Joe90; 04-19-2013 at 02:25 AM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
If you look at my original post - I was talking about annual sunshine (not summers) - which removes latitudinal influences on daylength.

I could just as readily distort matters by pointing out that some NZ locations have had sunshine ratings in a midwinter month of up to 84% of the possible, and comparing with the lousy winter numbers Paris has.

This is what I said, If you like mild and sunnier winters you might rightely shoose NZ over most of France, where the 4 seasons are more clearly definied.

Inversely, I would dislike being in a country where the best summers are comparable with the coolest/less sunny of my own country (including where I live in the northern half of France)

To me, a country where the place with the warmest and sunnier summer is lower than the averages of Paris (85% of France have warmer and sunnier summers than Paris): with a summer highs usually less lower than 25°C, and about the hours of sunshine of Normandy of southern coast of England does not fit the kind of places where I would fit well.

I prefer to have a real summer, even if I should have less sunshine and colder temperatures in winter. You have the right of not liking heat, sun and dryness in summer, I just do not.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:00 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post

It is not only the mediterranean areas of France that have warmer and sunnier summers than NZ; almost all the country does. The climate in France wich would be more similar to NZ would be Britanny, which is among the regions with coolest summers, less sunshine hours; but it does have quite mild winter.
Elsewhere in France outside along the English Channel coast the climate is better than NZ for my expectations.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
It is not only the mediterranean areas of France that have warmer and sunnier summers than NZ; almost all the country does. The climate in France wich would be more similar to NZ would be Britanny, which is among the regions with coolest summers, less sunshine hours; but it does have quite mild winter.
Elsewhere in France outside along the English Channel coast the climate is better than NZ for my expectations.
Brittany has much colder winters than NZ and a lot of wet days. Warmer sunnier parts of NZ like Tauranga Tauranga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia would be more comparable to Bordeaux Bordeaux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Brittany has much colder winters than NZ and a lot of wet days. Warmer sunnier parts of NZ like Tauranga Tauranga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia would be more comparable to Bordeaux Bordeaux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes. The assertion of most of NZ being like Brittany is pure nonsense. Furthermore, this person can't even stay on my original point of annual means, not just summer alone. He quote sa selection of "main centres' that I didn't even invoke - I was talking about NZ's better climates, which include none of the ones on his list. If one were to take Nelson (nearing 2500 hours with current trends), about 95% of France would be cloudier.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:47 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,056 times
I'd take New Zealand's climate over anywhere in the UK, and most of France. Temperatures are inoffensive year round, nice mild winters with some potential for coldish weather ( which I don't mind ) and nice comfortable summers. The Sunshine is the pretty good year round too, our winters are awful!
I think only the south coast would match the north of the South Island during summer, the rest of the year is incomparable though. NZ wins that one!

I was only joking with the Scottish Climate remark earlier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather