Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
ha ha. 10 miles, I doubt it.

Some Americans have a hard time accepting the loss of bragging rights for not having the sunny climate they think they do compared to the rest of the world.
Still much sunnier than the vast majority of the UK though - 2200 hours a figure most of us can only dream of.. except for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:23 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Still much sunnier than the vast majority of the UK though - 2200 hours a figure most of us can only dream of.. except for me.

Seattle is probably cloudier than places in the UK using the CS method.

I meant that post for the Chicago guy who seems to think Chicago is as sunny as Nice. Chicago isn't anywhere near 2500 hours using the world standard.

Using the CRN website with the location of Shabbona, IL:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/crn/observations.htm

you get 201 sunshine hours for June 2013. This figure is much lower than the 300 hours average from the US method posted in wiki. And it matches nicely with the data from the local NOAA NWS site for Chicago. June 19th had the most sunshine hours at 13.3 hours. According to the NWS website that day had 20% sky cover. The worst day for sunshine was June 5th with zero hours of sunshine. According to the NWS site for Chicago June 5th had an average sky cover of 80%.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
For the last time, would you mind explaining how Blue Hill Observatory, following WMO standards for years measures 2250 hours of sunshine using CS vs Logan Airport 10 miles away averaging 2600 hours using the US method. The US method overestimates sunshine hours no matter how you slice it. And it is by 350 hours in a place like Boston. Explain the discrepancy.
Hear hear. He's dreaming - and anyone who respects Bastardi has to be regarded with some suspicion!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:

Some Americans have a hard time accepting the loss of bragging rights for not having the sunny climate they think they do compared to the rest of the world.
Yes!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
I calculated Ithaca for June 2013. I got 197 hours of "bright sunshine" (120W/m sq.)

Curious to see how this compared with places in Europe. Not a lot of sun for June, but then I think Americans are used to the values they've seen listed from wiki and US data sources. This is more in line with Blue Hill and CS. Syracuse, NY averages 261 according to wiki (US method). Maybe it was also a very dull month.
This is using the 5 minute data? Is there any way to use the hourly data? My thought. I think June 2013 was a very dull month for Ithaca, it was at all like here. June 2009 from Blue Hill was the cloudiest of any month since Jan 2009, with 27% sunshine. I think we might have gotten close to that this month. Ithaca rain wasn't as extreme as here, though.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

@RWood

Is there any way to convert hourly radiation data to sunshine hours?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
@RWood

Is there any way to convert hourly radiation data to sunshine hours?
That's the $64000 question - I"ve talked to several met. people of the "older school" who say flatly that there is no simple way to relate the two.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Buxton may be sunnier than some parts of the US given the discrepancies, lol.
Quote:

Quote:
For the last time, would you mind explaining how Blue Hill Observatory, following WMO standards for years measures 2250 hours of sunshine using CS vs Logan Airport 10 miles away averaging 2600 hours using the US method. The US method overestimates sunshine hours no matter how you slice it. And it is by 350 hours in a place like Boston. Explain the discrepancy.

I meant to comment on this awhile back:

While I agree that there is likely some discrepancies in how solar data is collected (and I know even less about HOW it is collected)….I do have some concept of how average solar data would/should look based on climate genetics. When any two stations in similar climates have their solar hrs compared (say for example Cfa Brisbane and Orlando, FL) I would buy that one or the other might be a few hundred hrs higher/lower than the other based on how the data is collected.

However, I DON”T believe based on climate genetics, that for example Buxton gets anywhere near the sun hrs that the vast majority of the USA gets . Temperate oceanic climates (which include Buxton) are among the cloudiest climates on Earth (only the polar ocean has less sun annually). Comparing that to the USA, a much lower latitude, temperate climate , with large sectors that are arid, continental, subtropical, …etc, it stands to reason that the USA would see far more sun hrs than the vast majority of Europe (north of the Med Sea).

One other note you should be aware of (since I've been to Blue Hill MANY TIMES): Blue Hill is NOT staffed by professional people (meterologists) - it's staffed by volunteers and lay people with an interest in weather. I would take what NWS says 10000 times before I would ever take what Blue Hill says.

I think much to much is made of how this solar data is/has been collected, and we forgetting basic climate science.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
However, I DON”T believe based on climate genetics, that for example Buxton gets anywhere near the sun hrs that the vast majority of the USA gets . Temperate oceanic climates (which include Buxton) are among the cloudiest climates on Earth (only the polar ocean has less sun annually). Comparing that to the USA, a much lower latitude, temperate climate , with large sectors that are arid, continental, subtropical, …etc, it stands to reason that the USA would see far more sun hrs than the vast majority of Europe (north of the Med Sea).
First, why are you dragging the vast majority of USA into this debate? Many were comparing the northern parts of the US, it's obvious and not particularly interesting that most of the rest of US is sunnier. Buxton is a poor example of a temperate oceanic climate, it's one of the cloudiest there is outside of the near arctic latitudes. The difference in sunshine between Buxton and say, central France or even most of the american Pacific Northwest is vast. Lumping them all together as "cloudy", ignores the differences. The sunshine difference between some of the cloudier Great Lakes climates and Appalachian climate (Pittsburgh, Buffalo) with NW Europe may be small. Eastern Canada doesn't appear much sunnier than NW Europe at the same latitude.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

One other note you should be aware of (since I've been to Blue Hill MANY TIMES): Blue Hill is NOT staffed by professional people (meterologists) - it's staffed by volunteers and lay people with an interest in weather. I would take what NWS says 10000 times before I would ever take what Blue Hill says.
Except the NWS doesn't seem to staff sunshine recording observatories with much care for accuracy, as a NWS meteorologist mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather